Found this thread... same for Octy? (Slight pull to left)

I found this thread here:

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/t23739-slight-pull-to-left---%22they-all-do-that%22.html

About VRS pulling slightly (ever so slightly) to the left when steering wheel is dead straight. I didn't realise on search it was in the Fabia forums, not the Octy ones. I only picked up the motor Sunday and its only something I noticed yesterday when driving.

I'm in two minds atm, do i take it back to the dealer (a bit of a trek :/) or should I just pop it to ATS tomorrow morning to get a tracking check? I've not hit anything like potholes, and i've been careful going over speed bumps (tons where i live). I suppose i could have knocked it slightly outta alignment?

Any advice would be appreciated, Cheers,

Picked up my Octy on Monday and it pulls to the left too, and steering vibrates a little at speed (65+) as well, not sure if its the steering alignment/ tracking, or just me noticing all the little things compared to the Furby which I was used to...

steering vibrates a little at speed (65+)

That's normally a wheel balance issue (pos tyre pressure). My Octy has no wheel wobble under 120mph (and I can't comment on over).

My Octy had to have its wheels balanced 3 times to resolve a wobble at 100mph. Its all fine now though.

I've not read the original "pull to the left" thread in depth but could it possible be just the camber of the road? Perhaps someone should drive on the wrong side of an empty stretch of road and see if it then pulls to the right?

cars are designed to go in straight lines ;)[/quote']Tell that to Jason

:grumpy: What about me? ;)

TBH, I haven't noticed my new hunble rollerskate pull either side. Seems quite well balanced. But then again, it must have been re-aligned when the suspension, dampers and bigger alloys went on.

I do get a judder when braking but I have on good authority that that's a 4 pot caliper "feature" :o

How much would tracking/ wheel balance checks be? Have already forked out for car and all that comes with ie. tax, insurance etc. not keen on paying much more out, although if it makes the car safer to drive then maybe its worth it...

he camber of the road can cause the car to creep left, wider tyres exacerbate the problem to the point of tram lining

I've not read the original "pull to the left" thread in depth but could it possible be just the camber of the road? Perhaps someone should drive on the wrong side of an empty stretch of road and see if it then pulls to the right?

Think it is the camber, have driven on the wrong side and my octy pulls to the right (normaly slightly left). If you guys think Skoda / VW are prone to pulling try driving a ford, my company Mondeo pulls left on most roads and right on others, have to steer right a little to go in a straight line, its been 4 wheel laser aligned and is spot on. Have owned 4 Mondeos :o and they where all the same

Sounds like people are fixing a 'problem' that isn't actually a problem :rubchin:

Agree, you could alter settings to compensate for road camber, then get the car on a flat road and have other issues, most of our roads have a fall to the left, hence most cars pull to the left.

My octavia pulls to the left, well actually the wheel sort of turns to the left, slightly the car has done this since i got it six months ago. I took it to the dealer and they checked and adjusted the tracking, and charged me

It's the road slope (for draining the rain). Same car creeps to the left in UK but to the right in Germany. It keeps straight here in Greece, but we have no slopes, wait, we have no rains, erm, actually we have no roads lol :rofl:

Can't be the car can it? The slope is obvious too.

Yea my Octy pulls to the left too,

Only had it a few weeks so I took it back yesterday to get this looked at. The technicians said "sorry mate can't find anything wrong with it". So I drove home not too pleased, and hey presto it went to the left. I know they took it for a drive and I can't beleive they missed it.

So now I''ve got to take them out on a test drive to show them what I mean.

After reading this thread I agree that it could simply be the camber but I've driven other cars with low profile wide tyres and they've gone straight enough :confused: .

If this is the way that Octy's are then all I really want is to hear that straight from the horses mouth at the Skoda garage.

Simple sollution - drive down the middle of the road, each side of the car on the different camber. However, you'll need to pay attention as roads are sometimes cambered differently to allow easy water drainage, particulalry at roundabouts.

;)

• 2 weeks later...

After a lot of late night driving down the middle of the roads I was happy with the fact that it was just following the cambre. I mentioned it to the dealer and they kindly let me take another VRS out for a test drive just to prove the point and yep it also pulled with the cambre.

• 2 months later...
So,given what they said on Top Gear last night.....is this 'torque steer'?

I found this on a web site relating to Torque Steer.........A tendency for a car to turn in a particular direction when power is applied. Torque steer is common in front-drive cars because reaction forces created in the half-shafts can generate uneven steering forces in the front tyres.......

The pull to the left in our case is not Toruge steer as it does it all the time, it's just the car following the camber, if you rolled a ball in a straight line down a road it would wander off and fall to the lowest point, thats what a car does...I think :confused:

Someone may have mentioned it already, its all about the road camber, for water drainage, how else do you think the water from the road makes it to the drains?, if the road was flat it would just sit there.

Personaly though I would rather the car pull slightly to the left than pull to the right, as worse scenario is hit the kerb against hitting an oncoming vehicle, worth a thought.