Bust sump:( sum guards any good?

Bust my sump due to the car being too low, im going to raise the coilvoers up if they can move, but im wondering if the sump guards people talk of are any good? Do they take much abuse??

Also thinking about 40mm springs, anyone got a picture of a fabia on 40mm springs???

Thanks for any help:)

The standard sump guard is tash, go to a local fabricators and get them to make an ally sump guard to replace the OEM one.

Hope you get it sorted soon mate, thats really unlucky, I had a close call once, but my luck was in.

Regards

Dave

Sorry, by sump guard I mean plastic under tray, which I re-attach in winter to keep salt and moisture out.

As with being on coilovers it tends to get knocked about and flab around.

Sure someone tried to get a group buy arranged on some ally guards to replace the plastic under stray, so it could offer more protection to the sump, and be more durable?

• 3 years later...

The problem with making a decent sump guard is the lack of a proper front panel/cross member to mount it too on the fabia.

Have a look at the Panzer Skid Plates at Dieselgeek

They don't list one for a Fabia?

The problem with making a decent sump guard is the lack of a proper front panel/cross member to mount it too on the fabia.

They don't list one for a Fabia?

Sorry, I was thinking they'd have a listing for a polo or maybe a Mk3 Golf - probably too much of a risk given the cost

I'm only 25mm down on Eibach springs and I've clobbered the underside on rocks on occasion. Also had the undertray scraping on high kerbs when parking 1/2 on the pavement. Looking under the car, you can tell there's little clearance. Running very low is asking for things to clatter off the underside.

There are shallow sump kits where the bottom of the pan is steel rather than ally. Quite how much clearance that generates, I wouldn't know.

11mm extra clearance according to Darkside,but the main benefit is the steel bottom on the sump,as this will not break as easily as the cast alloy one if it gets knocked.

http://www.darksidedevelopments.co.uk/products/1-9-tdi-hybrid-shallow-sump.html

Edited by coskev