10000 mile Fabia vRS Estate Review

& might have a rougher cold start, and might burn out spark plugs with continues use and expecting to use the Twinchargers available performance.

(or just the spark plug for Cylinder 3)

All EU Type Approved cars are required to run  on 95 ron fuel and do,

but the Prescribed Fuel for Twinchargers is 98 ron.

I would not be wanting to buy a Twincharger that has been getting driven spirited with 95 ron used, without getting the spark plugs replaced at the first service.

I would not go past the 2nd servoce on the Oiginal plugs, even where the Service Schedule is 40,000 miles.

But then the Prescribed Fuel is 98 ron, when they say 40,000 miles for spark plugs.

They feel just fine until misfiring under load, & misfiring Twinchargers on Turbo tend to cause problems.

Like I said I've had no issues and all those are mights and maybes. Mine runs the same off cold as running 98 and I let it warm up and cool down properly. I've done 28000 miles now, still on original plugs but due a service. For 21000 miles of that it's be run on either VPower or Momentum99.

I couldn't care less if you wouldn't buy a vRS that's been used for it's performance while running 95. I met up with a Polo GTi owner on the way home one day who has run his on 95 since day one and done 50000 miles with no issues. Because I work out in the middle of nowhere, so Super Unleaded is hard to come by, and now I'm doing 500+ miles a week I've had no option but to use 95 but I'm staying away from the supermarket ones. When the dealer gave me the car on day one it had half a tank of 95 in it. Yes it felt flat (I presume it was Tesco's and the engine was still tight) and yes it runs nicer on 98 but mine is FINE! 

But don't worry George I'll thankfully be leaving the Fabia II section soon and getting an Octavia vRS instead. Hopefully my sanity will then come back  :)

• Like 1

We know they can run fine, but since some do not, its maybe helpful to some to know why not possibly.

UK national Speed limits and you are using half the possible power, and where there is only 95 ron,

there might not be many 70 MPH NSL roads.

I changed a spark plug in a Polo GTI with 17,000 miles 3 weeks ago, until the owner could get to the VW Garage that Supplied and Services it..

it was burnt out, and it was run only on Shell 95 Fuel Saver due to the local Shell stations rip off price and the owner never being told different by the VW Dealership. The car sheldom gets near the stations 15 miles away with a choice of fuels, it is only used around town here with the very odd longer trip.

Now it runs on Shell V-Power Nitro 99 ron. with a set of new plugs in.

When it is into the City it will get filled with Momentum 99 the owner says, as i advised her.

Shell is no quarantee of a better quality of petrol,

they tell you the spec of fuel if you look hard enough, but not the additives.

Their Shell Fuel comes from Refineries & Depots any place around the World according to market prices.

In the South that might be from Abroad and often is,

It meets Minimum Standard but seldom above that.

& some stations are a little lax with what can end up in the Super Unleaded tank at times of shortage.

Plenty of cases of this, not just internet myth.

So 95 ron minimum and 99 ron minimum will always be that, or should be when checked,

some times some fuels will exceed the minimum.

I did not say i would not buy a vRS that had been run on 95 ron,

i said i would not buy one without changing the spark plugs,

But then i would not by any Twincharger without changing the spark plugs,

since they need checked anyway, because you do not know what they have been run on.

My only rattle is by the DRL switch with I think is the cover and now and again the armrest will creak but these are minor concerns. As for finding 98+ fuel I had that problem when I went to Aberystwyth on holiday for a week. Nowhere seemed to sell it apart from Lampeter on the way home. Most of the garages up there were Texaco and some did premium, apparently it's not that good and more expensive than V Power

Hi Marty im getting my steel grey vrs estate in march due to being disabled i wanted a sporty car with enough power and room for my power wheelchair and the skoda estate fitted the bill.

I am even more excited by ready your 10,000 road test which was so good i could have kept on reading many thanks.

• Like 1

Hi Marty im getting my steel grey vrs estate in march due to being disabled i wanted a sporty car with enough power and room for my power wheelchair and the skoda estate fitted the bill.

I am even more excited by ready your 10,000 road test which was so good i could have kept on reading many thanks.

Thanks. I can only talk based on my own experiences and on the whole It's been great. I am selling soon but this is because of a change in my work situation. My mileage has gone up drastically and with me always wanting to "make progress"  but not wanting it to cost too much I have to change to a diesel. It will be a car I'll miss and have a soft spot for. It's the car I've done my record journey time from home in Swansea to Aberystwyth in and for that I'll always be pleased with it.

• Like 2