10000 mile Fabia vRS Estate Review

Yeah the clean look is better. One thing I forgot to add is how big it is to clean compared to similar sized hatches. It takes time but then I'm fairly careful when I do it. Was washing once a week but it's once every 3 if I'm luck with the weather being crap. Spending more time enjoying driving. You will notice tar spots more with it being white but then you can easily get them off because you can see them. The back end often looks like a dalmatian :giggle: Wheels were sealed and waxed several times in the first month I had it and keeping them clean has been easy. Much better than the Mk1 which were a nightmare.

Hoping to go for a spin after work if it's dry but not looking promising

Brilliant review and reflects my feelings except for one thing.

RATTLES; everything rattles some of the time, dependent on temperature and road surface.

I have fixed some, but now treat the car like my wife's old 2CV, everything rattles, so forget asking the dealer and live with them.

However it's the best car I have driven.

Tony :happy::wall:

Great review Martyn – As always, your thoughts are very interesting and reflect my findings about the car – overall it’s great.

I took my vRS estate for its’ first long run to Newquay in Cornwall on holiday last week - We (me, wife + two children), always take far too much luggage than we really need with us, but the boot managed to hold it all.

Averaged over 42mpg on the trip down, which is pretty good given the car was fully laden.

I achieved 38mpg on the way back – I drove quite briskly (232 miles, door to door, in 3hrs 20mins). The car was great to drive on the Motorway, although the wife did comment on the heavy ‘thump’ upon hitting the cats-eyes when changing lanes in order to overtake – A combination of the weight in the car, low-profile tyres and the suspension set-up I guess.

The DSG works like a dream in every situation – I rarely use the paddles, maybe I should make the effort.

On a different note, for those that are interested, I did find that you can only get standard 95 RON petrol in that part of Cornwall.

Edited by NorthernSoul

On a different note, for those that are interested, I did find that you can only get standard 95 RON petrol in that part of Cornwall.

off to Cornwall soon, will be taking some octane booster now :) thanks

My only rattle is by the DRL switch with I think is the cover and now and again the armrest will creak but these are minor concerns. As for finding 98+ fuel I had that problem when I went to Aberystwyth on holiday for a week. Nowhere seemed to sell it apart from Lampeter on the way home. Most of the garages up there were Texaco and some did premium, apparently it's not that good and more expensive than V Power

• 1 year later...

Thats been really a great review and exactly what I was looking to read!

I'm going to test drive your car's evil twin tomorrow! :)

Looked at a Yeti - but dog can't jump up into the back its too high for her.

But I do have a quick question - Will it fit 5 in it plus dog in the boot??? (myself, wife, 2 girls - 10 & 7 - one in a booster seat, and in June baby number 3 arrives!)

I do not have an Estate, just a hatch, and it is run pretty light,  so others can maybe comment on a VRS Estate for Family use.

Fuel Consumptions drops lots IME when carry full loads, but that is full sized adults and luggage and still nipping along.

but then maybe OK when driving at Family Use type speeds,

or MPG does not matter to you.

Ex Demonstrators and slightly used MK 3 Octavia vRS Estates can be a bit of a steal,

they look like being depreciation disasters, so a good buy as a keeper.

(Asking prices are not really an indication of how little you might have to pay to buy one.,

obviously Skoda Dealers do not want them appearing too cheap, but there are some bargains around with Demonstrator type miles on them.)

Ex Demonstrators and slightly used MK 3 Octavia vRS Estates can be a bit of a steal,

they look like being depreciation disasters, so a good buy as a keeper.

(Asking prices are not really an indication of how little you might have to pay to buy one.,

obviously Skoda Dealers do not want them appearing too cheap, but there are some bargains around with Demonstrator type miles on them.)

I haven't seen any bargain MK3's yet. I'm wanting to buy a Mk2 TDI estate but even these are being priced optimistically.

• Like 1

Test drove the Fabia VRS last weekend, just used DSG. Been used to Avensis 2.2diesel with 150 brake and 250 lb/ft torque but this was like the starship Enterprise going to warp. Need to find some money so I can trade in my 86BHP SE. :-(

• Like 2

Oh and it runs perfectly fine on normal unleaded but only from proper stations like Shell, Murco, etc. I was forced to use half a tank of Morrisons and it run like a dog. Hesitant, lot less power. Went to Shell for a tank of VPower to clear it out and was fine. But next tank I went for Shell 95. Runs almost the same on it. Only thing of note is the power starts to tail off after 5.5k but will still happily rev to the limiter. Hasn't been any issues for the last 5000 miles for my commute and almost all of them have been driven hard.

• Like 1

& might have a rougher cold start, and might burn out spark plugs with continues use and expecting to use the Twinchargers available performance.

(or just the spark plug for Cylinder 3)

All EU Type Approved cars are required to run  on 95 ron fuel and do,

but the Prescribed Fuel for Twinchargers is 98 ron.

I would not be wanting to buy a Twincharger that has been getting driven spirited with 95 ron used, without getting the spark plugs replaced at the first service.

I would not go past the 2nd servoce on the Oiginal plugs, even where the Service Schedule is 40,000 miles.

But then the Prescribed Fuel is 98 ron, when they say 40,000 miles for spark plugs.

They feel just fine until misfiring under load, & misfiring Twinchargers on Turbo tend to cause problems.