Oil filter removal - tearing my hair out

Do you know the filter was swapped last time tho?

I certainly wouldnt leave it. If i had to walk to halfords to get the claw one i would.

Doesnt take much to bugger up the engine or turbo. Lack of oil rto the top end is very bad.

For the sake of 25 notes of oil id just do a service again in a few weeks.

Do you know the filter was swapped last time tho?

I certainly wouldnt leave it. If i had to walk to halfords to get the claw one i would.

Doesnt take much to bugger up the engine or turbo. Lack of oil rto the top end is very bad.

For the sake of 25 notes of oil id just do a service again in a few weeks.

Fair points,if there's a likelihood of the filter having been on since god knows when, then I agree as above, but the OP said this;

"Its only done about 7000miles and the intention is to change the oil again in another 6 months which should see no more than 4000-5000 more miles done on the car

Having had a poke about today i can see that it is a Coopers Fiaam oil filter"

Bearing that in mind, & especially if there are receipts for the last service stating oil & filter change, from a reputable garage, then I stand by my previous advice & would leave it another 6 months

Fair points,if there's a likelihood of the filter having been on since god knows when, then I agree as above, but the OP said this;

"Its only done about 7000miles and the intention is to change the oil again in another 6 months which should see no more than 4000-5000 more miles done on the car

Having had a poke about today i can see that it is a Coopers Fiaam oil filter"

Bearing that in mind, & especially if there are receipts for the last service stating oil & filter change, from a reputable garage, then I stand by my previous advice & would leave it another 6 months

As long as the op is happy then fai enough but personally i dont trust any garage unless i watch them. The place in cardiff i use for certain things are ace as i help them and have a chat at sam time so I am happy but in my exp i wouldnt trust it. Even with paperwork.

Alright guys, sorry for the delay.

Yeah, I'm sure that the filter was done 12 months ago, was done by a mechanic mate of mine and I watched him do it so am happy enough. Got the strap wrench in the post today and looks like it will do the trick. Given some of the advice above I will probably leave the filter till the next oil change in Feb/March to be honest, unless i start to get any running problems/issues.

Cheers guys!

Just enter "12" ADJUSTABLE OIL FILTER PLIERS" into ebay.co.uk

Been using this tool for many years, it's never let me down yet and at 4GBP post free you cant go wrong.

I always use Mahle filters, they have that lovely hexagon nut on the end.

Edited by hussarman

Mahle filters don't seem to have much filter element inside compared to most OEM though. Oil filters are the one thing that I always go for OEM.

Plus with the complete oil kit under 30 quid from the dealers it makes sense just to go to them for it lol

Sent from my Galaxy S2 not a Crapple!