Portable DAB solution

K6chris

As someone who bought is first DAB car radio for over £700 in 1998, when most stations consisted of bird song, every new car I have bought has brought me the issue of how to add a digital receiver and what type of aerial to install! I was amazed to discover that after a 1000 miles of cross-UK Yeti driving that simply plugging my personal DAB radio, a Pure 2500, via a 0.5 metre 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable into the Aux socket works perfectly! I put the DAB radio in the tray just in front of the gear lever, so the cable to the Aux socket is fairly straight. The cable acts as an aerial and apart from a 2 second stretch of the A34 and a car park in Basingstoke the unit has provided crystal clear reception! I am sure there are some areas of poorer reception where this solution may not be as good as a dedicated roof mounted aerial, but right now I for one will be carrying on using this method of accessing DAB stations.

Chris

Digital Audio Broadcasting. Digital radio intended to replace FM broadcasts by now but lagging behind the Governments intention due to lack of coverage and poor take up.

I use a Pure Highway and it's OK in many areas but by no means all over. There are many areas where there is no coverage, N Wales for example.

Fred

Tony,

Go do one!! :giggle:

I've had an arguement with the BBC because I can't get BBC Radio Wales!!

Who'd listen to BBC Radio Wales anyway -it's not like you Welsh folk could receive it if you wanted to :rofl:

Glad I read this - I'm an ardent fan of Four Extra and have been frustrated about not getting a DAB radio in the Yeti. I have a Roberts Sports DAB 2. It's a very small porttable Radio with its own speaker and aerial - very few small DAB radios if any (that small) have their own speaker and aerial. Sadly the only drawback is the rechargeable battery is not replaceable once it's yuckered!

Having read this post I found a spare lead with two 3.5 jacks, went out to the car and wallah it works a treat - I'm well chuffed.

It works perfectly well inside the armrest so all I need to do is switch it on and shut the armrest, volume seems to be perfect - brilliant! - well done k6chris for mentioning it. I have since seen a post in 2010 mentioning something similar with the Bolero radio but never came across that before now.

brilliant! - well done k6chris for mentioning it. I have since seen a post in 2010 mentioning something similar with the Bolero radio but never came across that before now.

Glad to be of service :angel:

Glad I read this - I'm an ardent fan of Four Extra and have been frustrated about not getting a DAB radio in the Yeti. I have a Roberts Sports DAB 2. It's a very small porttable Radio with its own speaker and aerial - very few small DAB radios if any (that small) have their own speaker and aerial. Sadly the only drawback is the rechargeable battery is not replaceable once it's yuckered!

Having read this post I found a spare lead with two 3.5 jacks, went out to the car and wallah it works a treat - I'm well chuffed.

It works perfectly well inside the armrest so all I need to do is switch it on and shut the armrest, volume seems to be perfect - brilliant! - well done k6chris for mentioning it. I have since seen a post in 2010 mentioning something similar with the Bolero radio but never came across that before now.

So why can't you replace the battery? - if you get the problem send it to me and i'll have a go!!

When I've googled this product all I've ever found is that the battery is integrated into the radio and Roberts don't supply replacements - I hasten to add I'm not a techie, it's just what I've picked off the Internet.

Its probably a small battery soldered to the pcb - should be simple to replace!

Graham , now I think back to my uk days, i/we had probs with DAB just south of Cleobury Mortimer, a bit of a sod living 40miles from Sutton coldfield, and also Ridge Hill and the Wrekin - not heard of DAB here in france at the moment but suspect it will eventually arrive, but who knows if it will be the same system as the uk - Bang and Olufsen are currently holding off DAB stuff as there are a plethora of systems Europe wide and also Internationally!!

I agree with Frenchtone about the battery. I'm sure a suitable replacement could be sourced.

Reception of DAB is very inconsistent, basically it's a "line of sight reception" system so if you are in the shadow of anything it'll disappear. The transmitters are also sited with this in mind, most are co-sited with TV transmitters on high ground.

Fred

I'm that chuffed with getting DAB in the car I just thought I'd mention again how pleased I am this topic was brought up by Chris. Bizarrely you would think living in the Lake District with all the hills reception would be poor but it has quite good coverage - I love my Radio 4 extra!!

Agreed on Radio 4 extra but I took a different approach. I use http://linuxcentre.net/getiplayer to download programs I'm interested in. On the old Octy I hooked up my media player to a cassette adaptor, but the SD card in the Bolero is far easier to use. Most of my solo trips in the Yeti (the only chance I get to listen to radio or recordings) are less than 30 minutes, so live radio isn't too useful for me :(

Thanks Chris

Quite simply the best snippet of information I've ever seen on this site.

x2 I bought a Pure 2500 as a result & it works perfectly sat in the glove box of my Merc where the Aux in socket is located. Will swap it to the Yeti when it arrives next month.

Had a cheap portable DAB for years and used via aux socket when I got Superb with poor result. Upgraded to move 2500 in June and works brilliantly. Volume at 45 on move and 15 on Swing unit works well for four extra. can also power the move with a phone charger using 12v when I havnt charged it at home

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

• 3 months later...

Bought a Move 2500 after reading this thread, it is a brilliant piece of kit. The only problem is that when I plug it in to the Aux socket it doesn't show up as available on the Aux button. Has anyone got any ideas please.

Thanks

Bill