Limp mode Octavia 19 TDI

Hi all,

I have come to think that my Ocy just dosent like me anymore... :wall:

I have had this problem for a while now, where the car goes into limp mode, while driving uphill in third gear..

You wont belive the amount of trawling i have done on the internt trying to find out if other people have had the same problem, and it seems its a common one, OMG...

So i started by cleaning the EGR and manifold. (no difference) :wall: :wall:

Then i replaced the MAS. (no difference) :wall: :wall: :wall:

So today i have replaced the MAP sensor. What a job that was. (no difference) :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:

The strange thing is, when you reset the car by turning the ignition on and off, the car will drive fine and no problems.

I have connected it to my laptop only to find it says

1 Fault Found:

17965 - Charge Pressure Control: Positive Deviation

P1557 - 35-00 - -

Can someone please help me.....

Hey....

Thank you Lofty.. i am going to try this at the weekend, i will report back of course with GOOD NEWS... :whew: :whew: :whew:...

Next time your down my way, the beers are on me....lol :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I so need to know if this works, as mine is borked again. I hate this turbo design, it just does not seem to work for me. My car always does long trips (60miles each way to work), with a few hills it gets booted up, but the turbo keeps jamming up.

I was thinking about taking the turbo off and cleaning it again, but if Mr Muscle will do the trick, in much less time then it is worth a shot.

I have changed my MAF (ok, not in the last 130k), CTS and replaced all the vacuum pipework (and removed most of it!), blocked off the EGR and done the elephant mod.

Awaits for positive feedback after the weekend :sun:

Edited by mbames
  • Like 2

I so need to know if this works, as mine is borked again. I hate this turbo design, it just does not seem to work for me. My car always does long trips (60miles each way to work), with a few hills it gets booted up, but the turbo keeps jamming up.

I was thinking about taking the turbo off and cleaning it again, but if Mr Muscle will do the trick, in much less time then it is worth a short.

I have changed my MAF (ok, not in the last 130k), CTS and replaced all the vacuum pipework (and removed most of it!), blocked off the EGR and done the elephant mod.

If this works, which i am sure it will, i will be sure to keep you all informed, and i will try to take some pics too....

If this works, which i am sure it will, i will be sure to keep you all informed, and i will try to take some pics too....

Excitment has got the better of me....lol.... I am going to make a start tomorrow, Next week she has got a nice long run to Swindon, so i need her to be in tip top condition.... :giggle: :giggle:

For all wondering..... This works-without fail, if its sticky veins. If instructions are followed to letter it is very good and permanent fix. Pumping the actuator is essential. aS is the ragging when warm, 2hrs seems to be optimum time as i have now done 10, mine 30k ago. Be prepared for a bit more power than your used to when its done too.

I was thinking about taking the turbo off and cleaning it again, but if Mr Muscle will do the trick, in much less time then it is worth a short.

Your car will drop into limp under pressure or at high revs, then this is a great solution, ive got it down to 15 minutes working on car (2hrs soak of course) if you switch off and restart and power comes back til next time then should be the trick

Well, Well Well, Here is one Happy Bunny, followed instruction to the T, the only thing i did do different was pump actuater linkage with a lengh of wood, I have office hands and my thumb got sore.. lol....

NO MORE LIMP MODE.....

As Lofty Said a little more power too.

I want to say a big thankyou buddy for letting me know about this.

To anyone with this problem, this come highly recommended...

MR Muscle loves the jobs you hate.....

Great news!

I wonder if the manufacturing company of Mr Muscle realise how many cars they have helped to fix?!

If mine ever plays up I will be straight out to buy Mr Muscle.

Phil

• Like 1

Brilliant, glad it worked buddy. Cheap as chips and saves a fortune. Most people i have done this for had been quoted £400+ for a new turbo and fitting. One or two went ahead and paid which is a shame, as you can guarantee the old turbo was cleaned and flogged too.

Leave a comment on that link mate so anyone following it can see the effects. Cheers

Edited by Lofty79
  • Like 1

yeh- the mr muscle looks like a good way of sorting this :) they should include a lifelong supply of mr muscle with these turbos.. bad design.. ;)

i have taken a few of these turbo's apart now- all because of sticky vanes- its the same story everytime- the vanes and the actuating ring get all coked up and struggle to move freely..

apart from giving the car a good blast every once in a while, are there any tips on prevention? as ive seen the vanes become sticky even after a good cleaning 6 months earlier..

Probably just best to avoid conditions that would produce excess exhaust smoke.

Such as using too high gear and accelerating. Also not revving the engine high enough to get the turbo spinning/the actuator moving.

Phil

EGR delete, good blasts, i like millers eco max - others dont, clean air filter? maybe?

I have done an EGR blank off, elephant mod, use red-ex (or the diesel equiv of), and it still happens to me :-( Air filter changed every 30k at service time.

• Like 1

Ah mr muscle seems to be able to penetrate all areas so i would give it a go and hope it works on a more permanent basis. 30k miles since i did mine and turbo performs and sounds great

I thought taking the turbo apart would give it the best possible clean, however I can see that Mr Muscle is a much quicker adn easier method. I sourced 3 cans of Mr M yesterday (it was on offer in Asda, and I was thinking about the future - not cleaning the oven!).

Just need to get hose to shove inside the thing now....

cool man, keep us posted, make sure it goes down in turbo, make sure it stays for whole 2 hours, pump that actuater regularly, and dont overfill - as soon as it comes up out the manifold whip out that pipe.

Hopefully it works well for you mate, once practiced it takes 15 mins to undo apply product and rebuild, then spend next 2 hours pumping away every 10 mins or so. The stick idea the other guy had was good idea, i now have hard skin on end of my thumb from doing others turbos for them

early results look good so far, although there is no way I push the actuator arm down with my thumb, as the spring resistance from the vacuum assembly is too great. I can either create my own vacuum and/or use a piece of wood to push down. To start with I was sucking and using my thumb to feel how much movement there was.

I am going to pop off the EGR pipe again tomorrow and apply a second batch, having given it a blast around Weymouth just now - Olympic traffic allowing.... The hardest bit was undoing the two allen key bolts on the bottom of the EGR assembly. I must have done them up far too tight last time (when I was cleaning the turbo, or in 18 months they got extra tight. I though for a while they were never going to budge. Trouble is there isn't much room to get in there with a socket mounted allen key Still I won eventually, and Mr turbo he be happy too

Excellent mate, a second dose might not be necessary, but if its a recurring thing then may as well.

Those allan bolts are a pain arent they, eventually you remember exactly how your hand has to be to get at them, it gets faster and easier each time.

Bet the spool up sounds different? and the mid range power should be up quite a bit too.