Chucks of alloy paint flaking off - an experiances under warranty

Got a couple of wheels that have chunks of alloy paint flaking off, around the center cap. I had all 4 wheels on my MAzda 6 replaced due to bubbling paint but this time the paint is cracking and just lifting off. I gather I pop to my local dealer for some pics and then claim? I have it on two wheels and wonder if I can push for the front two as well which look ok.

Thanks.

( I only ever wash them with shampoo and sometimes Billberry and seal with with Opti-Seal.)

The normal excuses to not pay out on alloy wheel warranty repairs is that the damages is as a result of kerbing or stone chips.

Assuming that there is no evidence of either near where the paint is flaking off (I'd guess kerbing the centre caps would be a challenge!) then you should be in a good position.

They'll probably also ask if you use acidic wheel cleaners or automated car washes!

Good luck... the Skoda front and rear badges are corroded and flaking, car was 31/2 years old

I spoke to my local dealer "Simpsons of Colne" replacements, possible good will gesture?

He was totally uninterested and arrogantly brushed me off.

No problems at all... I will NEVER visit the crummy place again, they lost customer!

Lacquer does not seem to be a Skoda strong point!

Pointless if i cant even get a clutch or steering rack he wont get any wheels they are useless.

I also tried regards to my front and rear badges and they ignored me point blank.

Ended up buying two of my own and they are now starting to corrode.

• Like 1

I can`t be bothered now, after checking most Skodas seems like its a fairly common problem... and the replacements will go the same way

Pity really rest of the car is spot on.... apart from the Skoda wheel centres lol!

I got eight alloy wheels out of Skoda UK, oh and two badges, front and rear.

It's all about who you ask and the way you ask ;)

Well can you ask for me then?

I got eight alloy wheels out of Skoda UK, oh and two badges, front and rear.

It's all about who you ask and the way you ask ;)

I guess my offer of going down on knees and giving head was maybe a little to much for my local dealer or customer services!

• Like 3

Well can you ask for me then?

You just need to be firm but fair.

I was calm and polite but adament that the issues I was experiencing were the result of a manufacturing defect.

I know there are a few on here that have had (and continue to have) bad experiences with Skoda UK but I have nothing but praise.

Both our Octavia's are out of warranty now but both have had money spent on them by Skoda UK.

As mentioned earlier though you still need the dealer on your side as it will be them putting the claim into Skoda for the replacement wheels.

The warranty isn't worth the paper its writen on if you ask me. I tried to get the flywheel replaced under warranty and they said they couldnt hear anything wrong despite a fairly loud knocking sound when pulling away then I asked about getting the cam follower replaced and they said "As much as id like to take your money its going to cost too much" Erm... right, so guides on here suggest half our job to do which would maybe cost me £100 labour and the part, utter useless :wall:

Edited by banzaiman
  • Like 1

I had a wheel replaced under warranty due to this and another is on its way too now. :( Apparently common across VAG as even an RS6 that Autocar had on long term test started to do it......same colour code too.

The warranty isn't worth the paper its writen on if you ask me. I tried to get the flywheel replaced under warranty and they said they couldnt hear anything wrong despite a fairly loud knocking sound when pulling away then I asked about getting the cam follower replaced and they said "As much as id like to take your money its going to cost too much" Erm... right, so guides on here suggest half our job to do which would maybe cost me £100 labour and the part, utter useless :wall:

That's not the fault of the warranty, you have a crap dealer.

Skoda seem to be useless on any issues regarding paint, whether it's on bodywork or the wheels. They will try anything to get out of paying. My experience nearly made me sell the VRS not long after I got it, however, the car really won me over. Just hope I don't have to deal with Skoda CS anytime soon

Not just paint either Kenny when we bought the car i had been battling for near a year regarding the clutch they even replaced parts int he gearbox as they could hear the noise... noise is there its the DMF thats ****** but as usual Skoda dont wanna know.

I would never reccomend a Skoda or a VAG car to anyone this whole affair has left a mega bitter taste.

• 6 months later...

In the end they checked with a PTG and all four have been repaired, obviously by the supplying dealer however I have no way of proving it, so they would'nt deal with me. I'll treat myself to a refurb later in the year anyway. I think black chrome would look nice...

• Like 1