Unable to start car after fuel filter change

I cant believe the luck i am getting with this car, i am beginning to dislike it like no other car i have owned..

PLEASE HELP, what the hell have i done wrong???

What i thought was a simple job has lead to another night mare..

A simple fuel filter change which is done, i started the car, it ran for a minute then died, tried to restart, NOTHING...

where and how do you bleed the system???? :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:

on the top of the filter where the return pipe plugs in and retaining pin goes, remove it and fill to brim with diesel, then replace, and it should fire within 10 turns or so.

Tempted to say mr muscle it :giggle:

Edited by Lofty79

hehe, hopefully you have a can with some in or something as it would be a pain going to filling station with filter for 28p of diesel hehe.

Dont get annoyed with the car, essentially one problem you had cost under £5 to fix, the other problem was.....well......nothing to do with the car if ya know what i mean.

A car with turbo problems that costs a fiver to fix is a triumph of a vehicle.

Keep us posted dude

a tip or two. Sump lug on rear of sump 19mm, catch can biased to rear as it fires back, and youll have to follow it forward. Filter is a paper cartridge on yours i think, mine was well stuck on first time i ever did it, once undone change rubber seal in lid and on end of plastic plunger attached to lid. Make sure filter is right way up, it should say "top" on it. I did it back up hand tight and it never leaks.

4 litres refills, on dipstick test level after 5 mins of settling, on level ground, and full mark is top of hatch markings!!! not top of the recessed whole area!!!

Edited by Lofty79
  • Like 1

a tip or two. Sump lug on rear of sump 19mm, catch can biased to rear as it fires back, and youll have to follow it forward. Filter is a paper cartridge on yours i think, mine was well stuck on first time i ever did it, once undone change rubber seal in lid and on end of plastic plunger attached to lid. Make sure filter is right way up, it should say "top" on it. I did it back up hand tight and it never leaks.

4 litres refills, on dipstick test level after 5 mins of settling, on level ground, and full mark is top of hatch markings!!! not top of the recessed whole area!!!

Thankyou so much for you help and advice buddy.... :rock: :rock:

I am going to give her a nice long run this Saturday, a spin up to swindon to see the brother in law, So hopefully test the cars MPG, i will have to try to stay under 80mph....lol :sweat: :sweat: :sweat:

You may find it just about impossible to undo the lid of the filter housing, I had to use a strap socket thing usually used on oil filters and that took ages as it kept slipping. You can get a big socket thing that fits it aswell.

My advice would be to try and undo it before draining the oil incase you need something to undo it with

Sent from my Galaxy S2 not a Crapple!

• Like 1

this is an old trick on diesels after changing the fuel filter.

What I do,after changing the fuel filter I start the car and keep it revd at 1700rpm for 30 seconds,any further problems are avoided.

Edited by IulianE

• 3 years later...

I have just drained fuel filter and car wont start.  Cranking six- ten or so times,  Have tried to prime filter and seems full.

See following photo.......

skoda%20fuel_1.jpg

Hose 2 on mine is clear and has fuel bubbling through, but plenty air bubbles.

Hose 1 (fuel pump inlet?) has no fuel when disconnected and engine cranking.

AAAAAArghhhhh!

anyone able to help?  Am meant to be on 500 mile trip tomorrow ;1

Edited by Fastblack

• 3 weeks later...