Coilovers on! And Couldnt be happier - Pics

I did plenty of coiled setups on the mk2/3's and was a pretty simple job, top mount bolts under engine bay and again the same in the boot, then one on the rear shocks holding it to the rear beam and fronts had two holding them onto the hubs, really straightforward. Is it as simple on these? I had a look at doing it on a friends 2005 passant and had to walk away, too much twisting and pulling things apart? Are the Octavia's pretty simple like mentioned above?

I did plenty of coiled setups on the mk2/3's and was a pretty simple job, top mount bolts under engine bay and again the same in the boot, then one on the rear shocks holding it to the rear beam and fronts had two holding them onto the hubs, really straightforward. Is it as simple on these? I had a look at doing it on a friends 2005 passant and had to walk away, too much twisting and pulling things apart? Are the Octavia's pretty simple like mentioned above?

Pretty straighforward yes.

Rears can be done in an hour or so if the bolts all co-operate. Fronts a bit longer. :)

http://noahlh.com/car/coilover_howto/

fronts have top mount bolt, once free of car next nut retaining bearing etc is tricky, i ground flat sides into one shock shaft to get a spanner on it.

Rear is too bolts holding a mount into body under wheel arch, once mount is out, there is a nut in that to release strut. pretty basic but different

I think I'd try it if there was a good guide for doing it on the vRS.

It is really one of the easiest jobs to do on the car and being Golf MK4 platform parts are easy to get to and remove.

here is a few guides that is for Golf but same as our cars.

http://noahlh.com/car/coilover_howto/

http://fortuneman.tripod.com/suspension/install.htm

Ignore some of the pics that refere to the HR coilovers as the Weitecs, KW, JOM coilover are more simple to install as well and need no special tools really.

Yep the Octy which is Golf MK4 platform is not much different to Mk3 golf all similar set up

Are there any other parts worthy of upgrading/replacing when you're putting in coilovers?

These shots gives you a idea of the part around the rear and front suspension

SkodaOctaviarearshock.jpg

SkodaOctaviaFrontSuspension.jpg

These are the extra parts I purchased below when I first fitted Weitec coilovers. You do not have to get these and you can reuse your old parts but I always get new to save any issues or broken snapped bolts etc.

These parts are all the parts I purchased from VW as they are the same parts(only went to VW as they are closer than Skoda to me) but that is your choice. Even Seat and Audi are the same(although only VW will sell you the Hub spreader tool, don't ask me why? )

Front Suspension

Inner Suspension strut nut x1 part# 1H0412365A

Lower strut mounting bolt 18mm x2 part# N10 207 803(bolts through the hub)

Lower strut mounting nut 18mm x2 part# N10 106 402

Hub Strut Spreader X1 3424

Rear Suspension

Upper shock mounting bolt 16mm X4 part# N90 648 401

Lower shock bolt 16mm x2 part# N90 517 304

Lower shock nut 16mm x2 part# N10 286 110

Then this lot came from a motor factor to save cost.

Front Suspension

Part Quant. Part No.

Strut Top Bearing x2 1J0-412-249 (GSF P/N 45737A)

Strut Top Mount x2 1J0-412-331C (GSF P/N 45736)

Also I went for doing the ARB links as one of mine was bad. Again purchased from GSF

RH Anti Roll Bar Link 42274N (IJ0-411-316D)

LH Anti Roll Bar Link 42274M (IJ0-411-316D)

• Like 1

Ah well, if your not that way inclined, and dont do many miles you can just save while she is in her wee house and get someone in to do em. Has that car finished its first set of tyres yet?