DSG S mode?

Have had my new Superb 3.6 Elegance with 6 speed DSG for 5 days now and have a question about the S mode.

I have done lots of internet searching on this, as this my first VAG or driving a DSG. When I pot mine into S mode it is very aggressive with shifts and acceleration, which is what I expected. What I fight expect was it to stop shifting at 4th gear, once I got up to speed. Does not shift into 5th or 6th.

Some say it only goes into 4th in S mode and some say theirs goes into 5th and 6th. I can't find anything official stating either.

The 3.6 I test drove did the same, but dealer it should go into 5th and 6th.

Anyone know the REAL answer.

Chris

That sounds about right. Top speed can probably be achieved in 4th. Just like the 7 speed DSG will achieve top speed in 5th and won't change over 6th in "S".

I think you can manually pull the paddle and get to it change up.

Phil

Have had my new Superb 3.6 Elegance with 6 speed DSG for 5 days now and have a question about the S mode.

I have done lots of internet searching on this, as this my first VAG or driving a DSG. When I pot mine into S mode it is very aggressive with shifts and acceleration, which is what I expected. What I fight expect was it to stop shifting at 4th gear, once I got up to speed. Does not shift into 5th or 6th.

Some say it only goes into 4th in S mode and some say theirs goes into 5th and 6th. I can't find anything official stating either.

The 3.6 I test drove did the same, but dealer it should go into 5th and 6th.

Anyone know the REAL answer.

Chris

I can only quote from the experience of my own car (3.6 V6). In "S" mode the rev change up point rises for each gear change

ie 2-3 it is 3,500+, 3-4 it is 4,000+ and 4-5 it is 4,500+ - so unless you've hit about 100+ mph you would not see a change 4-5, and I guess (as I haven't been there) that 5-6 will occur around 120-125.

There are internet clips on Youtube showing people straight line accelerating V6's to around 150 mph using sport [on the continent I hasten to add]. To achieve this they must be in 6th gear and rev counter show high rev numbers for each 5/6 change.

You can effect a launch control by left foot braking and planting foot on accelerator. Car holds 3,000 rpm until you take foot off brake pedal - and then it just flies.

OK that makes since. I was thinking/comparing S mode to SPORT mode in my other cars where it its more aggressive shifting, but will still use all gears.

I've seen the YouTube clips of launch control! Might put a few more miles on the car before I try that! Not even 500 miles on her yet!

Chris

OK that makes since. I was thinking/comparing S mode to SPORT mode in my other cars where it its more aggressive shifting, but will still use all gears.

Chris

The 'S' on any auto box (including DSGs) normally stands for 'Sports mode'. This normally as you say gives more aggressive shifting.

However, I haven't driven that many to comment if they use all of the gears or not.

Edited by Jim H

Yeah in S mode they do stay in lower gears however if you put cruise control on whilst in sport it should change into 6th and then as soon as you turn it off change back to 4th. On the 7 speed dsg it stays in 5 or 6th gear and won't change to 7th unless cruise is selected, hope it helps.

The 'S' on any auto box (including DSGs) normally stands for 'Sports mode'. This normally as you say gives more aggressive shifting.

However, I haven't driven that many to comment if they use all of the gears or not.

My Leon (PD140) DSG will not use 6th in S in normal use, unless you engage cruise control.

For me with 6 DSG and in sport mode.

I it puts the 6th gear in about 180-190km/h

/Peter

Hi!

This function I have never checked out before, but then I don't live that close to Germany as you do. :giggle::angel:

/Superbjoser

Thanks guys.

Went out last night and it will go into 5th and 6th IF you have the room to run it and you keep it floored and hang on! I'll have to give the cruise control a try once I reach the speed I want.

Was thinking it was gonna work the same as my Subaru Legacy in Sport mode in that once I stop accelerating the trans would automatically shift into the higher gears.

At least I know have a better understanding of how it works and what to expect.

Chris

Thanks guys.

Went out last night and it will go into 5th and 6th IF you have the room to run it and you keep it floored and hang on! I'll have to give the cruise control a try once I reach the speed I want.

Was thinking it was gonna work the same as my Subaru Legacy in Sport mode in that once I stop accelerating the trans would automatically shift into the higher gears.

At least I know have a better understanding of how it works and what to expect.

Chris

Not advocating that you try it again, but would be interested if you noted the change up speeds.

The 4-5 happened around 195k/ph. 5-6 was around 245k/ph, but I let off and the RPMS where around 500 before redline.

Speeds dependent on how accurate the speedo is at those speeds.

Chris

Yeah, I saw that and I'm even more impressed if you managed it with your Fabia... :rofl:

/Superbjoser

Haha, i changed from Fabia to Superb II a month ago, so i havnt had time to change here :)

Found it to be rather pointless in my 170TDI, don't seem any quicker just noisier and more rev's for no real reason. I expect it makes a difference to petrol models though with thier power made higher up the rev range?

To be on topic: Mine uses the 6 gear too, in about 120 km/h while cruising (no cruise control, just holding the speed). Just think about acceleration ==> 5:th or 4:th gear. And that is a 170 TDI. That aside, I agree with Tankdave, rather useless on a diesel.

/Superbjoser

My experience of Audi A4 with 3.0 tdi engine. I presume the Superb modes will work the same way.

If you wanted a short period of aggresive acceleration use the paddle to downshift out of drive mode e.g approaching the bottom of a very steep hill after a previous descent ie the gearbox in level 6. The box will change to automatic drive mode after 5-10 seconds in my experience.

If you have a mile of S bends on B roads use the S mode to slow you into corners but then to accelerate briskly as you come out. You will ,of course, have to change back to drive when required.

The combination seemed to work well although with 256bhp in the 3.6 Superb at your disposal you probably have always got power on tap in drive mode.

If you wanted a short period of aggresive acceleration use the paddle to downshift out of drive mode e.g approaching the bottom of a very steep hill after a previous descent ie the gearbox in level 6. The box will change to automatic drive mode after 5-10 seconds in my experience.

Unfortunately paddle shift is an option on the UK Specification 3.6 - and having had it on my previous DSG Superb I really miss it !