Tow Bar Installation

Hi

I have just bought a 3 month (2012) old Skoda Octavia CR S, newest car I have owned having run old cars for many years. I want to fit a Tow Bar which I have done on several older cars but this has cambus wiring or so I understand.

I am Ok fitting Tow Bar and understand what the bypas relay does but could do withsome help on the following-

1 Where is the closest place to pick up a clean 12v supply to drive my trailer electrics.

2 Is there a plug in back/boot I can get on to or do I need to scotch lock on to signal wires?

3 I am looking at a witter detachable tow bar, any advice from those that have a detachable tow bar would be good.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Dennis

• 2 weeks later...

Found this post myself on forum... it has answered my questions so worth re post..

Hi Ken.

The wiring is easy. The relay I used is available here for 25 quid.. It's been fitted over a year and not a bother. It is clever enough to manage and protect the OEM wiring and requires ABSOLUTELY NO CODING. Of course other members with newer cars with sensors and ESP may decide to go "vehicle specific" with dealer coding, but it is not necessary.

I wrote some instructions for the 12v supply in a PM to Karltimber which I wil repeat below.

Otherwise it is simply a matter of connecting the wires from the trailer plug to the relay and then cliping four wires to the car's loom in the boot. The 12v supply is more of a chore but doesn't require messing with the dash or inboard fuse box.

HTH

Hi Karl,

No doubt you could take a supply from the fuse box but there is a simpler method which is easier to do and safe.

Look to the engine compartment and take off the fusebox cover. At the front of the fuse box are several red wires that supply power direct off the battery. The positive lead from the battery connects to a bar fixed to the fusebox with several studs. Each stud has a flat fuse bolted to the power bar and then the red line to the fuse leading from there into the car systems.

Scroll down this page to see what I mean. http://www.myturbodi...ta-Golf-TDI.htm

I simply used a spare stud and bolted a wire to it. You will need an inline fuse (15amp) right next to the fuse box to protect your wire.

Next question is how to get the wire into the car?

Use the last link and this one to remove the air box and the battery box. http://www.myturbodi...ement-jetta.htm

In the right hand corner of the engine compartment, at the firewall close to the wing and bonnet hinges you will see cables into the car. There is a grommet there with spare "nipples" ready for you wire to pass.

Snip off one of these nipples and pass a piece of thick wire (I used a plastic garden strimmer wire) from the engine compartment into the car. Tape your wire to the end of this thick wire.

Go into the car and feel under the glovebox to the left and you will catch the wire pulling your live wire with it into the car.

You are home free at this point. Just pass the wire down from under the glove box under the plastic covers of the sills.

If you feel confident you can pull up the sill trims, otherwise just push the wire out of sight.

The wire passes along the sills to the back seats and then over the wheel arch to the towbar wiring!!

edit: Fix broken links.

Edited by FriendlyFire, 08 February 2012 - 23:37.

• 7 months later...

In the right hand corner of the engine compartment, at the firewall close to the wing and bonnet hinges you will see cables into the car. There is a grommet there with spare "nipples" ready for you wire to pass.

Thanks mate very helpful. I do have a question though....I've a station wagon with a 12v lighter socket in the boot....... taking power from there would do the same as running power from under the hood? ( and a damn site easier ???)

The Hatchbacks generally don't have sockets in the boot so the trip to the battery is easier than to the fuse box.

Going straight to the battery allows you to use the correct gauge of wire and fuses to power auxiliary batteries etc. in a caravan.

On the other hand if you have a permanent 12 volt supply in the boot, by all means use it but remember to check the size of the fuse and gauge of wiring leading to it.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

This is my first post, so apologies if it is in the wrong place.

I am also interested in finding a permanent 12v supply in the boot of my Octavia 2 estate. I have a 12v socket in my boot and was going to take the 12v off that to my bypass relay for the towbar's electrics. I will only be using it for a lighting board. Can anyone tell me if it is safe to use this method? I had planned to put a 15amp in-line fuse in the circuit.

Or is there a better power line I can tap into? I noticed a bunch of wires in the left hand side ot the boot near the tail lights, one of which is quite a thick white wire. I thought that this may be for the rear wiper, but maybe it is not a permanent 12v.

If the 12v socket is ok, does anyone have a link to instructions on how to get at the socket without ripping yours hands off.

Thanks

Des