Rear passenger side alloy roasting

Hi Folks,

Got this 'burning' kinda smell after a run and I got out to inspect, the rear passenger side alloy was roasting but all others were fine. Prior to this I had noticed a difference in braking(only slight). Would the rear caliper be buggered?

Possibly could be, with the brake pads dragging. Have you had any issues with bearings at all, or had them recently changed? I ask as on my Corrado, the rears were tapred bearings. I did one of them up too tight, so when it got hot and expanded, it made the hub nut glow hot! Ended up killing the new bearing, and leaving score marks in the stub axle to boot. Had to change the lot in the end, and hang my head in shame at my **** up! :doh:

Possibly could be, with the brake pads dragging. Have you had any issues with bearings at all, or had them recently changed? I ask as on my Corrado, the rears were tapred bearings. I did one of them up too tight, so when it got hot and expanded, it made the hub nut glow hot! Ended up killing the new bearing, and leaving score marks in the stub axle to boot. Had to change the lot in the end, and hang my head in shame at my **** up! :doh:

Oh dear!

I've had an issue with caliper before(got a part from breakers) so I'm thinking I've got one that was on the way out? I must mention your trouble to my mechanic just to have a look and see!.

Would I be able to continue to drive with this happening?

Have you changed the calliper recently?

Or done any work on that corner?

If it has been a while since any maintenance has been done then it could be seized, or the pads sticking in the calliper due to dirt and grime, or possibly a small stone or debris in there.

I reckon best bet is whip the wheel off and have a look.

• Like 1

You'd probably know by now if it was at the state mine was in. The outer bearing disintigrated, so I could hear it grinding and the wheel was wobling about! lol. I'd seriously advise against driving if it was as bad as mine was, but I doubt thats the case. It could be something as simple as the handbrake cable being too tight on that side, causing it to drag constantly. Can you see the disk or pads noticably thinner on that side? You may catch it in time, and as suggested, whip that corner up and spin the wheel with the handbrake off. Should spin relatively freely and you may be able to pinpoint if something is amiss. If your bearing was on its way out, you should get a kinda rumbling/whining noise, especially when cornering.