Looking at buying a vRS

still wouldnt pay for leather. Maybe im just too tight.

Leather is not worth the extra cost, my opinion, as the only bit of leather there is, is the bit your back and @rse touch, the rest is " other materials ".

I had my 07 plate Octavia re-trimmed in 100% leather for a lot less than the Skoda Leather.

With the xenon's on the Octavia not being bi-xenon (i.e main beam remains the traditional halogen set-up) it makes you realise how much better xenon dipped beam is.

On a dark unlit country road on a winters night going from xenon dipped to halogen main beam really makes very little difference, the extra light output is pretty poor and very yellow, which goes to show just how effective xenon is.

I've never driven a car with bi-xenon's but I'm guessing this would be the ultimate set-up...

Had the Fabia fully retrimmed in leather and I prefer the half leather on the Octy. Less prone to damage (scuffing), warmer in winter, cooler in summer, grips you more (cloth centres are more grabby than smooth leather). Had to be done on the Fabia though as white seats are just insane.....

Most needed options for me are:

1. Cruise, Couldn't live without it, especially round cash gene....ahem...I mean speed camera ridden areas.

2. Bluetooth. Got a Parrot but anything will do - in this day and age there's no excuse for not having hands free. See so many flash cars being driven by a d!ck with a phone glued to his/ her ear.

3. Rear park. Yeah you have the rear spoiler to guide you but the VRS has a large back end and this just helps out.

4. MFSW and / or maxidot. Very handy - wish I had this. Would go well with DSG. Drove a DSG without flappy paddles and it was cack.

Never had xenons and as such not missed them. Or heated seats - only needed that with full fat leather on the Fabia but the Octy doesn't need it. Not got full leather in that though - if I did that would be a different story but I don't like full leather as mentioned.

Love my heated seats. When I purchased my vRS back in March 2011 I took advantage of the "VAT Free" offer and bought loads of extras. I went for the leather option (which I'm more than happy with) and I went for the heated seats (which warm up almost instantly and keep you oh so warm during those cold mornings).

You are not reading my post properly. On unlit roads you still need full beam whether you have xenons or not. Therefore whats the point of xenons? Xenons never gave me a better view of the road than my cars with halogen lights do. On unlit roads with no oncoming traffic xenons alone are no where near enough to see far enough ahead, if they were then cars with xenons wouldnt need full beams.

Read post carefully im only comparing normal halogen dipped beams to xenon dipped beams. There isnt enough of a difference to warrant the extra cost. Its part of an MOT test which dictates how high you dipped lights shine. Xenons do not shine any higher than normal lights therefore do not shed light further down the road. That is why cars are fitted with full beams. i have had 2 cars with xenons so have 1st hand experience of them and their limitations. They offered no advantage over normal lights in my opinion well at least none thats worth several hundred pounds of my money.

If you like your xenons then great but as far as desirable options on the OP's car i think leather is woth a lot more than brighter headlights especially for me although i still wouldnt pay for leather. Maybe im just too tight.

I am reading your post perfectly, and you've even just informed it.

You are saying that main beam > dipped xenon so on totally unlit roads xenons are worthless as you have main beam on, which is obviously correct. You then go on to suggest that because of the beam height/angle xenons add little or nothing over halogens which I strongly dispute. This is because although the actual area lit up may not be any bigger, the visibility within that area is much better. This means that times when full beam is inappropriate (unlit roads with oncoming traffic, motorways or unlit roads with cars in front, etc) the xenons are beneficial. I'd say I spend a lot more time on dipped than than I do on main beam.

As for whether I like my xenons - I don't have them on the current car, which is why I am acutely aware of how naff the halogens are by comparison - so much so that I'm certainly getting some updated bulbs before the winter kicks in and am seriously considering a set of HIDs

So I decided to approach a dealer and see if I could get a good price on a new vRS today and he mentioned the Blackline option- VAT freee deal and a £500 deposit chucked in meaning they are wanting £17300 for a brand new one. Sounds like a good deal but in reality I think a standard vRS in Race blue with leather seats would do me. I am trying to find a nice one with/without xenons(I take it the halogen lamps as standard are quite bright anyway?). Budget is nearer to £14k. Should get me a nice example with low mileage??

Thanks!

I am reading your post perfectly, and you've even just informed it.

You are saying that main beam > dipped xenon so on totally unlit roads xenons are worthless as you have main beam on, which is obviously correct. You then go on to suggest that because of the beam height/angle xenons add little or nothing over halogens which I strongly dispute. This is because although the actual area lit up may not be any bigger, the visibility within that area is much better. This means that times when full beam is inappropriate (unlit roads with oncoming traffic, motorways or unlit roads with cars in front, etc) the xenons are beneficial. I'd say I spend a lot more time on dipped than than I do on main beam.

As for whether I like my xenons - I don't have them on the current car, which is why I am acutely aware of how naff the halogens are by comparison - so much so that I'm certainly getting some updated bulbs before the winter kicks in and am seriously considering a set of HIDs

Fair enough, but in my experience xenons did not offer substantially better vision than normal lights. The main limiting factor was that the lights were "dipped". They are dipped if they are xenons and dipped if they are halogens. The word itself "dipped" suggets they are a compromise so they dont dazzle oncoming cars. For this reaosn, IMO, it dosent matter how bright they are as they are still limited due to being dipped.

Actually the lights on my VRS are quite good i find, certainly better than the lights on my BMW.

If xenons were liek £100 then they may be worth it but rather than apying several hundred quid just buy better bulbs. Saying this though i have never felt the need to buy better bulbs in any of my cars as generally dipped beams suck on unlit roads and full beam is plenty good enough irrespective of bulb type.

I think the constant debate on the Xenons is not helping the OP. Give a rest or start a new thread.

Was the original post not about worthwhile "options" ?? Debating the benefits of various options is kind of the whole point. The OP was leaning towards leather and some posted they prefered xenons. Pretty pointless not debating / discussing the different opinions seeing as it is a forum. If the OP does not want any more "opinions" he doesnt need to return to the thread or he can comment accordingly. You start a new thread if you like.

• Like 1

Was the original post not about worthwhile "options" ?? Debating the benefits of various options is kind of the whole point. The OP was leaning towards leather and some posted they prefered xenons. Pretty pointless not debating / discussing the different opinions seeing as it is a forum. If the OP does not want any more "opinions" he doesnt need to return to the thread or he can comment accordingly. You start a new thread if you like.

Here we go........

1. Actually the OP asked about 2 specific options (heated seats and blue tooth) and didnt ask about Xenons. He wasnt even asking about leather but the subject went in that direction as most people's opinions were that heated seats are more useful if you have leather seats.

2. Yes. You are quite right. Give your opinion on which options you think are worth while or not. Not argue about them. The OP will make their own mind up based on what they want and some guidance from members on this forum.

3. My point is this is another thread thats going in the direction of tit for tat arguements from people just trying to have the last say. About xenons that arent even relevant to the OP's question. In what way is that helpful?

4. What a surprise your one of the people banging on about xenons.

PM me if you want to continue the "debate"

Here we go........

1. Actually the OP asked about 2 specific options (heated seats and blue tooth) and didnt ask about Xenons. He wasnt even asking about leather but the subject went in that direction as most people's opinions were that heated seats are more useful if you have leather seats.

2. Yes. You are quite right. Give your opinion on which options you think are worth while or not. Not argue about them. The OP will make their own mind up based on what they want and some guidance from members on this forum.

3. My point is this is another thread thats going in the direction of tit for tat arguements from people just trying to have the last say. About xenons that arent even relevant to the OP's question. In what way is that helpful?

4. What a surprise your one of the people banging on about xenons.

PM me if you want to continue the "debate"

LOL." Hear we go" Could almost see you rolling your sleeves up. Get over yourself. Dont think there was any argument just a healthy debate - no harm in that. Cant be arsed PM'ing you as its only a flippin forum. Relax mate dont get so stressed.

So I decided to approach a dealer and see if I could get a good price on a new vRS today and he mentioned the Blackline option- VAT freee deal and a £500 deposit chucked in meaning they are wanting £17300 for a brand new one. Sounds like a good deal but in reality I think a standard vRS in Race blue with leather seats would do me. I am trying to find a nice one with/without xenons(I take it the halogen lamps as standard are quite bright anyway?). Budget is nearer to £14k. Should get me a nice example with low mileage??

Thanks!

Blackline looks good value, but it won't allow you to spec further factory options. So heated seats would be ruled out.

I don't think I've seen it mentioned or discussed so far, but do you know how the dealer was proposing to retrofit heated seats?

The only retrofitted heated seat that are not stupidly expensive or time consuming are a pad thats fitted into the seat and operated from seperate controls so its not OEM. OEM style ones are a bit of a faf but it can be done. I think Ross (Techie) did it once.

Heres a couple of links to start the ball rolling:

http://vwgolfr32.co.uk/shop/Seat-Heating-Kit.htm

http://www.kufatec.de/shop/de/index

Just so the OP knows exactly what's involved. Could see a situation where the buyer may be under the impression an OEM retrofit is being undertaken, then they end up with some 3rd party controls planted somewhere!

Know the OEM setup could be done, but not sure many dealers would want to undertake it, with the extra wiring/loom etc.

I think I need to properly test drive the vRS in estate form. You're right I will be careful on how much to spend. Still would like leather and heated. Xenons would be nice but are the halogens not quite bright anyway? Should this get me a nice low mileage one do you think? Just looked closer and the black line comes in diesel only so ruling out. The other thing I have now that I like would be steering wheel controls. Is that an option on nearly new ones? Thanks for all the advice so far! Appreciated.

The other thing I have now that I like would be steering wheel controls. Is that an option on nearly new ones? Thanks for all the advice so far! Appreciated.

Skoda UK in their infinite wisdom don't allow you to add the MFSW (Multi Function Steering Wheel) to non-DSG equipped vRS's.

:no:

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so I sold my 159 yesterday and will have £10k to put down on something. Shortlist as follows and I am torn:0)-

1. Golf R32 5 door- had one before and loved the noise from the v6 but not sure the mk5 shape does it for me

2. Alfa giulietta cloverleaf 1750

3. Octavia vRS estate.

Budget is around 17-18k max.

The thing tha really draws me about the skoda is the new ones are being offered at 20% vat free and 500 extra deposit off from skoda. Also free 3 year servicing and warranty. I guess I could have my own spec in leather/ heated seats/xenons etc. very appealing time to buy with the extras and with 2 little ones under 4 a race blue estate could be the best of the 3 options?? I loved the Alfa interior though and with 10k mileage a year now am torn as to what to go for. They all have pluses and minuses. Heart says golf and head says space and performance. Ahhhh maybe that final test drive will do it:0)

The R32 isn't the best family car.

It takes a brave man to spend £18K on an Alfa.

The Octavia in any guise is the best family car, an estate vRS is pretty much the perfect mix of practicality and performance.

have to say i swapped a 330d for 2.0tsi vrs estate, and think they are great cars, loads of space, lots of neat touches re cubby holes etc, 59plate mark 2, still under man warranty until Dec 12, 16k on clock for 12grand. Standard car, and yes headlights fine, although I swapped bulbs for philips extreme, 2.0t manual, gets 400mile around town with 12 mile round trip stop start to work each day, 35/40mpg depending on runs.

Skoda aftersales service and pricing and build quality also worth a mention

Ok so I sold my 159 yesterday and will have £10k to put down on something. Shortlist as follows and I am torn:0)-

1. Golf R32 5 door- had one before and loved the noise from the v6 but not sure the mk5 shape does it for me

2. Alfa giulietta cloverleaf 1750

3. Octavia vRS estate.

Budget is around 17-18k max.

The thing tha really draws me about the skoda is the new ones are being offered at 20% vat free and 500 extra deposit off from skoda. Also free 3 year servicing and warranty. I guess I could have my own spec in leather/ heated seats/xenons etc. very appealing time to buy with the extras and with 2 little ones under 4 a race blue estate could be the best of the 3 options?? I loved the Alfa interior though and with 10k mileage a year now am torn as to what to go for. They all have pluses and minuses. Heart says golf and head says space and performance. Ahhhh maybe that final test drive will do it:0)

You'll get a nice version of any of those choices for the money you have. The Octy is pretty much the perfect family car but if you don't need the massive boot space then I'd go R32, just for the engine.

If you don't the space and aren't bothered by economy get the R32. It's quicker, sounds amazing, and feels more special. Of course a stage 1 remap on a vRS will mean you are waving to R32 drivers in your mirror....

Before I bought my vrs I was looking at a 159 sw as well. Think the alfa is one of the best looking cars on the road especially in ti trim. I felt it is a bit dated inside now and think (in my opinion) that the vrs drives and handles a lot better. I was looking at the 2.4 diesel which as you've said is a heavy lump - I get better economy from my petrol vrs than that of the alfa 2.4 diesel! I bought my vrs second hand (was a year and half old ) and came with factory options of xenons (which depsite all the debate are far superior to halogens and also include the auto dim rear view mirror, headlight washers, auto lights and cornering function - headlights turn with the steering), acoustic rear park and maxidot (which I would say is a must as you can change a lot of functions through it and if the car has xenons you can change the setting if driving abroad without having to use beam deflectors). Maxidot looks far better and provides more information as well. I retro fitted the oem bluetooth kit which I bought of ebay for 200 quid and is displayed on the oe headunit and through the maxidot as well.