Intercooler pipe joints always leaking oil. SUGGESTIONS

Renewed all intercooler pipe seals on all pipe connection's, but a short few weeks later nearly all joints weeping oil.

I was thinking of doing something drastic like using mastic sealer, with new seals again before snapping them back together.

I don't think that the stainless steel pipe fitting is gonna wear, perhaps the plastic pipe they slip into? might need replacing.

The joints seem a sloppy not tight fit.

Open to cure's, idea's and a more permanent solution most welcomed.

Does the leaking of oil mean a variable incorrect air intake, resulting in rich black smoke from rear of car, and varying colours according to throttle openings.??

Oil weeping from the joints seems pretty common/normal.

They do have a fairly loose fit but when under pressure they tighten up and seal more.

The problem with the intercooler connections is that they are the only 2 places on the pipes where they join to a fixed point on the car and when the engine and all the other pipes move they are held still and cause the pipes and joints to flex and move.

As long as you have the new rubber seals and the clips are holding fine and there are no wooshy boost leak noises then it should be fine.

If you fix those connections more solidly then the movement will end up being transferred further along the pipework and/pr just break the connections anyway.

The only sure way to sort all the connections out is to either renew all the seals and use some self tapping screws or change all the pipes and connections to aftermarket silicone and milled aluminium connections.

Phil

I would start by trying to stop the oil getting into the pipes. The elephant hose mod should help here but I would advise using an oil catch can instead of just venting to atmosphere. There is a thread in the guides section if you are not familiar with the mod.

That should help to get rid of the oil in the system.

It may also be an idea to seal up all of your boost hoses or replace with silicone, aluminium and decent hole clips

• 2 weeks later...

I went to Skoda and got all the boost pipe seals, think it cost just over £30 for them all.

Ahh didn't realise you had already changed them

Edited by vRStew

giandougl where did you find the intercooler pipe seals??? I've tried for ages to get some new ones but I can't find any! Please give me an advice! Thanks! This pipe is weeping oil and I think this can be a reason for the 16618 error...maybe (Boost pressure reg. limit)

Went to Skoda dealership (Parts Dept)

Have tried packing out seal seat.

Place rubber-band in groove first, then place seal over it.

Really tight fit depending thickness of rubber-band.