Best of the new engines?

Narm1971

I currently drive a 57 plate 1.6 petrol and am looking at a new roomster. We mainly do short mileage (so diesel not an option) but we do quite often have 4-5 in the car and do a few runs a year with luggage + roof box. Which of the new engines would be best? I've read that the basic 1.2 is underpowered, but does the TSi 86ps do the trick or should I be looking at the 105ps?

Advice and views welcome!

Hi , if you want the best of both worlds , power / mpg and provision for a roof box best go for the SE plus with the 1.2 tsi 105bhp ( these new " face lift " cars are a world apart from the pre face lift )

I have often wondered why Skoda do not fit the roof rails as standard , my Roomster is in SE trim but with roof rails

full size spare wheel

maxi dot

front fog lights with DRL

all these 4 items were factory fitted

I also opted for the 105 bhp TSI engine " lovely car "

I drive the 1.2 TSI 105hp DSG and most of the time with just myself or SWMBO and me in the car it has no power issues. Even with the 3 grandkids in it has no problem. Yesterday with 4 adults and the dog was the 1st time I noticed the car holding onto gears for longer to get the revs higher before changing. But even with this load it still gave 130 miles from the first block on the fuel indicator, around 42mpg for a motorway run, which is not bad.

• 5 months later...

Thought I might revive an older thread: I presently drive a 2007 1.9tdi Octavia. Looking for something younger and need a practical family car. Completely intrigued by the Roomster. I drive around 13k miles a year. Mainly around town. Stop/start etc......have been schooled on the Skoda diesels and this is my third!

How are people finding the 1.2tsi engines? Plenty of talk about fuel consumption agaisnt the diesels and loads of DPF issues for the diesel oweners. Wondering if to take the plunge with one of these petrol engines :sweat:

The thing with modern diesel particulate filters is they like some heat in the exhaust system, so if you do lots of town driving the engine management sometimes has to force the engine to idle at higher revs to generate this and burn off the nasties. The nett result is strange anomalies in MPG figures. If you are able to give the car a long (over 60 mph for more than 20 mins) run on a regular basis the nasties are just burnt off and you will probably see better MPG numbers.

Not had any issues with the 105bhp 1.2 tsi so far, just under 2 years and 14k miles. Ambient temperature can make the MPG figures drop but most of the time they are close to the brochure specs. With the DSG box you get an idea of where the power band is (as S mode keeps the engine revs where power is available) and for most things D mode is fine. When you are at the higher end of the revs the engine can get quite raucous but it is rare to push it that hard unless overtaking.

With similiar miles and age, not much more to add to the above, except when in S mode you only have a 6 speed, 7th does not engage, so when you've finished being sporty, knock it back into D. It's like a happy terrier puppy, always willing and cheap to feed.