From "boy racer" to "family man", humour me...

MST

Having just PX'd my MY10 Seat Bocanegra for an MY11 Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance hatchback; we're having our first baby due in November (woo!) I'm in need of advice, comfort and suggestions. Don't get me wrong I'm learning to love the new Octy but I feel that as with all cars there are a few subtle changes & mods that could make it stand out from the crowd, however, I just have no idea what they are!

This is where you come in, I bow to your superior Skoda knowledge and ask that you give me a few ideas of where to start?

P.S. Please see here for those of you that missed my introduction thread ;)

Considering the 1.8TSI Octavia is only 20hp down on your boca - i'd probably want a remap at minimum and turn that 160 into 200ps... :D

Exactly get it remapped and you will not have to learn to love it should be a lot more appealing to drive for you. Remapped and it will be a stealthy missile indeed you will have the satisfaction of leaving cars behind that thought it was a mere Octavia. Suspension etc will not be quite as well set up for handling like the old Chair you had but obviously if that was an issue you can mess with that too but comfort I would think is half the battle with the size for your needs.

Definitely - I would consider any 1.8TSI Octavia with a remap a very stealthy sleeper car - comfortable - but more than enough pace to keep up (or get away from, more like...)

also as you have the Bolero stereo there is a very cool mod to allow video input if you would like that option and are up for the process allows you to add a media player or dvd, freeview etc.

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/229957-video-input-interface-on-bolero-anybody-tried-this/page__hl__+bolero%20+video#entry2824220

Defo go for the remap.

Actually i'm just looking at a 1.8tsi elegance atm. VED is £215 which is the only downside really. Urban mpg is reported at 28mpg but what is a real world figure for short journeys doing the school run and a short commute?

With a newborn onboard the 1.8 TSi is all the power you need.

Try 17" alloys (Pallas), the subtle Skoda lip spoiler and tints.

I'd be tempted with a vRS front bumper but it'll be costly!

Edited by silver1011

Thanks for all the replies so far, keep 'em coming please!

also as you have the Bolero stereo there is a very cool mod to allow video input if you would like that option and are up for the process allows you to add a media player or dvd, freeview etc.

http://www.briskoda....eo#entry2824220

Very interesting though I'm not sure of the legality and it looks a bit complicated to install. I had a look at the installation guide on the eBay listing and was fine until I got to the bit requiring soldering!

With a newborn onboard the 1.8 TSi is all the power you need.

Try 17" alloys (Pallas), the subtle Skoda lip spoiler and tints.

I'd be tempted with a vRS front bumper but it'll be costly!

I fear you're probably right about the remap, but the boot spoiler could definitely be an option. I'm pretty sure that the windows were tinted at the factory, do you think I should go a little bit darker perhaps?

A baby seat will make a good first addition to the car. Followed by a box of baby stuff and a packet of wet ones in the glove box.

Already taken care of ;)

Edited by MST

You'll need something more than the factory tints (unless they are sunset although I understand that to be pretty mild too so you'll still want to add to it) just to keep the sun off te new baby.

I had the stick on blinds at first, and was gonna get the full on skoda blinds (rear and side) but when unrealised they came in at the best part of £200 I thought I'd be better off tinting. I was thinking of changing from a petrol to a diesel VRS at the time so held off and then as soon as I got the derv I had it tinted to 15% and am happy with it. Keeps the sun off littlun but still lets him see out fine enough.

Edited by mr_awol

Sorry to be blunt, but it sounds like you bought the wrong car!

In the time I've had young kids (now 3&5) I've had:

M3 Evo saloon

2 x Focus ST3's

Volvo 850R estate

Octavia VRS

I'd say none of those are boring!

I await my flaming, but any normal Octy is too near to the 1,000's of taxi's in my patch even if they are good cars.

One mans 'family car' is another mans 'roller skate'.

I'm sure a chav/boy racer doesn't see himself as being one. Nor will the driver of an MPV admit to have 'given-up'.

The Octavia (in any guise) makes a perfect family car.

If you think an Evo (or any saloon for that matter) makes for a more appropriate family car then we'll have to agree to disagree on this one!

• Like 1

It was a BMW E36 M3 Evo, but hatch/estate is definitely more practical.

But I stand by my view that you can still have something tasty, especially if you only have one car, which is still practical for young'uns. In fact the Fabia has been fantastic, we've just used a roof box for trips to Cornwall/France etc.

Definitely - I would consider any 1.8TSI Octavia with a remap a very stealthy sleeper car - comfortable - but more than enough pace to keep up (or get away from, more like...)

Thank you g_tee, this is exactly how I envisage her, If I'd wanted a vRS or any other "performance" car for that matter I would've bought one along with the high price of fuel consumption, motor insurance and VED that goes along with the ownership of it. I previously had a Leon Cupra 1.8T, followed by Leon FR TDI and then the Ibiza Bocanegra so I thought it was about time I compromised and sacrificed a little bit of performance for quite a bit more comfort.

Instead of tinting windows, I purchased a set of sunblinds from http://www.vanstyle....-2729.html??the quality and fit is very good.

You'll need something more than the factory tints (unless they are sunset although I understand that to be pretty mild too so you'll still want to add to it) just to keep the sun off te new baby.

I had the stick on blinds at first, and was gonna get the full on skoda blinds (rear and side) but when unrealised they came in at the best part of £200 I thought I'd be better off tinting. I was thinking of changing from a petrol to a diesel VRS at the time so held off and then as soon as I got the derv I had it tinted to 15% and am happy with it. Keeps the sun off littlun but still lets him see out fine enough.

I'm not overly keen on the idea of sunblinds but then I've never had them in a car I've owned so what do I know! I think tints are the way forward and 15% sounds good, although I'd need to compare. A mate of mine at work is due to have tints on his Mazda 6 Estate in the next couple of weeks so I might take it to the same place for a quote, or I may just wait and see what I think of his first :p

Sorry to be blunt, but it sounds like you bought the wrong car!

In the time I've had young kids (now 3&5) I've had:

M3 Evo saloon

2 x Focus ST3's

Volvo 850R estate

Octavia VRS

I'd say none of those are boring!

I await my flaming, but any normal Octy is too near to the 1,000's of taxi's in my patch even if they are good cars.

Hey, everyone is entitled to their opinion and I think it's great that you've been able to have a fairly broad range of performance cars as the family runaround, but sadly none of the cars you listed were an option for me (except MAYBE the Octavia vRS) for the aformentioned reasons. I started this topic to try and find subtle ways of making my Octy stand out from all those taxis that other discerning members here would be able to appreciate.

One mans 'family car' is another mans 'roller skate'.

I'm sure a chav/boy racer doesn't see himself as being one. Nor will the driver of an MPV admit to have 'given-up'.

The Octavia (in any guise) makes a perfect family car.

If you think an Evo (or any saloon for that matter) makes for a more appropriate family car then we'll have to agree to disagree on this one!

+1

Agreed!

Lol - fair enough mate!

The Octy is certainly practical for little people and the interior a lot more durable than MrsF's Fabia mk1.

I'd be spending my dosh on a remap for sure, the Volvo had that (270bhp) and BC coilovers as well as a LPG system to avoid 20mpg!

I'm not overly keen on the idea of sunblinds but then I've never had them in a car I've owned so what do I know! I think tints are the way forward and 15% sounds good, although I'd need to compare. A mate of mine at work is due to have tints on his Mazda 6 Estate in the next couple of weeks so I might take it to the same place for a quote, or I may just wait and see what I think of his first

Sun blinds (the proper ones) have the bonus of still being there when you open the window and being removable at night. That said, who can be bothered to remove them at night and I tend to open the fronts for littlun or just up the aircon on - he has jumbo box do spreads some air back to him. Come to think of it, that's a good retrofit as the heaters/coolers never did filter through to the back very well in my old Octy which didn't have a jumbo box.

15% for the windows is right I reckon. I'd worried it might be too dark but I am happy - any lighter and I wouldn't be sure it had enough protection from the suns glare. I think 'lighter' tints do have the UV protection though - you'd have to check. £150-£200 seems to be the average cost at the places I tried (although I tried to only ask the places I thought looked 'reputable' or came recommended.

I have the factory fit sunset privacy glass on our estate which is good the kids.

However I also have the Skoda blinds fitted too for when the windows are down.

The combination of both meet our needs perfectly.

Sun blinds (the proper ones) have the bonus of still being there when you open the window and being removable at night. That said, who can be bothered to remove them at night and I tend to open the fronts for littlun or just up the aircon on - he has jumbo box do spreads some air back to him. Come to think of it, that's a good retrofit as the heaters/coolers never did filter through to the back very well in my old Octy which didn't have a jumbo box.

15% for the windows is right I reckon. I'd worried it might be too dark but I am happy - any lighter and I wouldn't be sure it had enough protection from the suns glare. I think 'lighter' tints do have the UV protection though - you'd have to check. £150-£200 seems to be the average cost at the places I tried (although I tried to only ask the places I thought looked 'reputable' or came recommended.

A jumbo box came fitted as standard so no worries there, good to hear that it's come in handy with the little one in the back.

This place have quoted my mate £120 which sounds quite reasonable although I don't know exactly what he's getting for that, they also do quite a few other bits & pieces including paint correction; light swirl marks in unforgiving Black Magic paint, so I think I'll pop in this week to see what they can do for me.

I had an Octavia 1.8TSI for 2 years and found it too small for my requirements. We would go away for the weekens and the kids would have stuff cramped around them- not comfortable and not safe. My current car suits me fine and I can get everything into the car and the boot cover closed, it also has the little things like integral rear sunblinds and tinted windows as standard whick make life just that little bit easier and more comfortable. Perhaps you need to consider more the purpose of a car, what you use it for and embrace reality that you soon will have a child and funtionality and not flair is champion!

I had an Octavia 1.8TSI for 2 years and found it too small for my requirements. We would go away for the weekens and the kids would have stuff cramped around them- not comfortable and not safe. My current car suits me fine and I can get everything into the car and the boot cover closed, it also has the little things like integral rear sunblinds and tinted windows as standard whick make life just that little bit easier and more comfortable. Perhaps you need to consider more the purpose of a car, what you use it for and embrace reality that you soon will have a child and funtionality and not flair is champion!

Cheers for that!

I suppose it depends if you had 2 toddles requiring 2 buggies that would eat up a good bit of space before all the stuff you would take for a holiday.

My estate not so pleasant to drive when I first got it. Slack as a waterlogged leisure suit. I fitted a Whiteline RARB, Superpro front buses and had a 4 wheel alignment done. The change was most satisfactory. I was going to have the car chipped, but I found as I didn't need to slow to a crawl to go round bends, I could cover ground quickly enough as is. Helped at night by the HIDs.

I do keep thinking about tinting to keep the heat out when on my hols, but not bitten the bullet yet. The L&K comes with socket for tunes into the "radio", which I was initially excited about, but hardly ever use it now.

My own wishlist would be to improve ride over crap surfaces, by reducing some of the huge unsprung mass - I fitted 312mm brakes which are HEAVY, a DaveB1970 4 pot kit would be nice. Alloy wishbones and uprights maybe. Bilstein B6's but NOT any lowering - I scrape enough already, and have smashed one sump in the middle of France Profond. Loose a bit of the noise, tyres here, wind there, general mechanical toing and froing.

The great thing about the octavia, is that it is part of a huge family of vehicles, so someone somewhere is trying to sort that gremlin, deminish that niggle. Welcome to the COLLECTIVE.