PID update?

estorilblue

Email from Navigon this morning.

New map update available for PiD

Is it going to lead to more fun and games trying to get it to work?

I'll find out tomorrow

No shouldn't be a problem, even using a Mac, once you have already paid for the two years maps updates. On a Mac free downloads work with Navigon Fresh. It's only at the point of paying for anything in Navigon Fresh that the process stalls. You cannot avail of the voucher on the Navigon site itself....it does not recognise it. Only solution if having problem on Mac is to call support and request permission to make the 2 years maps update directly on the Navigon site. They will send an email to confirm it is in order to proceed and you can then download the maps update at the full price from the Navigon website direct and subsequently Navigon will refund the difference. They would prefer you use a Windows PC if you have access to one though. Us Mac users would prefer if they would update Navigon Fresh, as the coding is faulty. Once the voucher is out of the way though, I think it is just a matter of making your future purchases on the Navigon site and only using Navigon Fresh subsequently to install. What it all means is that Navigon Fresh for Mac is not fully functioning on a Mac, but at least there are workarounds. :whew:

Hmm - Dont have Citigo or PID just yet, but I do have a Mac and on that I run a W7 virtual machine - so I wonder if that will work?

I had a Windows machines for about 10 years and knew them better than most, and was able to keep them in good order. You had to be prepared to work at it though, and learn, or they could be a nightmare. Therefor having made the move to Mac about 6 years ago I have not been inclined to install Widows on my Macs. Anyway, I did read something about your query elsewhere, might have been here, though I had a quick look again and didn't find it. Something about disabling some utility or app called Smart....or something or other, so that the USB connection would work. Not sure it worked then or not, but worth a try if you can make sense of it. http://www.upownersclub.co.uk/forum/unable-to-pay-for-maps-via-navigon-fresh-app_topic790_page1.html Eight pages of frustration here on the issue.

Follow up to my earlier posts. Replacement Move&Fun did not require any firmware updates, being up to date already. Contacted Navigon UK Service Support. Sought authorisation to purchase Freshmaps updates and to avail of voucher included, by making the purchase directly through the Navigon Website. Took a few days, but received authorisation this morning and made the purchase. You receive an activation code. The instructions are to contact Support again, when this is done, to confirm, and I have received confirmation that the refund has been requested from the relevant department. When it is done I will be advised.Next step is to connect Move&Fun to Mac and launch Navigon Fresh. Do a backup, if any changes from your first one, and then download the Freshmaps paid for. I received confirmation that the latest Freshmaps were already installed (Q4/2012).Having got the voucher out of the way future purchases will be made directly from the website and downloaded/installed using Navigon Fresh.This is all necessary because the Navigon Fresh software for Macs is broken. Having been through it if I can assist anyone with a Mac I will be happy to.I have emailed my dealer explaining in detail the problems with the Navigon Fresh software for Mac owners, and Navigon's failure to update it, as every Citigo, VW UP! and Seat Mii owner will have the issue in redeeming the voucher and will also have to use the workaround described to make purchases. Without prior knowledge, each PID owner will experience error, puzzlement, exasperation and annoyance in endeavoring to use the software provided.

Edit 4/12/12. Though not ideal I thought I had a workaround sorted. Not so Navigon were hiding in the bushes. About a week ago when I connected PID to the car I got a message to the effect that I had only a short time to avail of the voucher, at least that is what I think it said (no glasses on). As detailed earlier I had made special arrangements to pay the reduced price for the Map updates, but my PID was currently up to date. Decided to go on line with Navigon Fresh to see what would develop. Guess what....Navigon Fresh won't now log in at all. It comes up with a CG2009 error. So now there is no communication possible between the PID and the Navigon site.

I reported the new issue to Navigon Support, who passed it to tech support. I subsequently received advice that a beta vesrion of the Navigon software was available, which should resolve the CG2009 error, and would I test it for them. Same error unfortunately. Having advised them of this I was told by support that there was no other version available at present, and it was suggested I try another computer, preferably a Windows PC (which I don't have). Curiously there is a Windows beta version of Navigon Fresh also available, as they sent me a link to download that also. I cannot believe that VW group can be satisfied with this level of service from Navigon.

Has anyone else, with a Mac preferably, having a problem logging on through Navigon Fresh? Is Windows ok for logging on currently?

• 1 month later...

Liam, I did an upgrade to the 3rd quarter 2012 map at the end of October with no problem.

I am using windows 7 on the pc

I hope you manage to sort out your problem.

Perhaps a replacement PiD might solve the issue?

• Like 1

Liam, I did an upgrade to the 3rd quarter 2012 map at the end of October with no problem.

I am using windows 7 on the pc

I hope you manage to sort out your problem.

Perhaps a replacement PiD might solve the issue?

Thanks CFB, but I don't think it is a problem with the PID this time, although if you go back to my earliest posts I did require replacement of my original unit which bricked. To repeat there is a very long standing issue with Navigon Fresh software for Mac, which I only found out about when I ran into trouble with the first unit (all detailed in earlier posts). This is an entirely new issue which has arisen since I last logged in in October.. I conclude that something has changed at the Navigon server. They seem to be aware of the CG2009 error and were hopeful the beta version sent to me for testing would resolve it.

It would be really helpful if there were any Mac users who could seek to log on now with Navigon Fresh and see if they have the same error (CG2009). I'm also curious to see if any Windows PC users have an issue currently, as there is a Windows beta version of Navigon Fresh as well.. I'm wondering why?

Aw guys and gals, is there nobody who will assist me to establish if this is a widespread Mac problem, which I suspect it is, and if there is also currently a problem connecting with Window's PC"s as well? This is important as I think it affects all Mac users and possibly Window's currently as well. This is why I need feedback. I intend going all the way with this this time, if Navigon don't get their act together. First a strong complaint to Navigon and then to Volkswagon Group directly. The Navigon is just not fit for purpose for Mac users certainly, but they do provide software for Mac use. It just doesn't function.

Well good news.

For me at least. Connected up and no problem.

Our map is up to date so couldn't check the download but all seems to be normal.

Hope you find a solution soon.

Thanks CFB. Well that confirms that issues around Mac compatibility with the Navigon remain unresolved. I will pursue it further with Navigon support and if they cannot resolve the issues for Mac then Volkswagon Group should know that one of the options being offered cannot be availed of by a large slice of their customer base.

I appreciate you taking the trouble to verify that the current issue is confined to Mac.

• Like 1

Sorry Liam, I use a Mac primarily and When I got my car, I tried the Navigon Fresh software for it and it wouldn't log in with the same error that you have quoted. I updated mine on a Windows laptop that I have.

I'll re-test the Mac software and see if anything has changed.

• Like 1

Thanks Mike. That's very helpful. I think they changed something at the server since I originally could log in back in October. Perhaps you could let me know what OS you are using. I'm using Snow Leopard.