Kleber Quadraxer

'daiking'

This seems to be a readily available, reasonably cheap all seasons tyre that many people stock.

However, reviews are pretty thin on the ground. When I looked last winter, the few reviews I could find said it was fine in winter weather (for an all season) but it was let down by its wet performance. as far as I am concerned a poor wet tyre is a liability in the UK, in any season of the year.

Anyone know any better? Or had any personal experience? Given their price, I'm surprised no-one has tried them.

Who!?

Kleber, I believe they are a Michelin sub-brand. honest. But who knows. All I know is they seem to be available almost everywhere and are 'cheap'

http://www.klebertyres.co.uk/KleberUK/home/home.jsp?lang=EN

tyre in question

http://www.klebertyres.co.uk/KleberUK/front/affich.jsp?〈=EN&codeRubrique=30032005121111

Tyrereviews: http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Kleber/Quadraxer.htm

• Like 1

Hmmm... the reviews seem to be written by people with a decent grasp of the English language, which does lend some weight to them.

However, it was one of the proper German test schemes that marked them lower in the wet, not anon off the internet.

I purchased a set of these last year for my rear wheel drive Ford. They seem like a value for money tyre to me, kleber are to Michelin what Skoda are to VW. My normal tyres are Kleber as well and work perfectly fine for me. Mine came in at £153.60 for four 185/65X14 T rated.

• Like 1

For those like me who remember the early eighties and the Austin Metro, then Kleber tyres were one to be avoided, after a number of their tyres factory fitted to the Metro fell apart. Always had this stuck in the back of the mind, so never bought this brand of tyre.

TP

• 1 month later...

We sell a few sets of the kleber quadraxer the last one was Thursday ona fiat 4x4 and he swears by them . With the new tyre labelling coming into force in November it's going to be easier to compare brand performance across the ranges . We don't really have anything to do with verdi's so fraid I can't compare them . But for a reasonable priced all season tyre there ok .

I have a set of these. I gave them a good test out last year and was impressed driving around a fresh snow & empty car park. Worked well with the ESP system.

Although remember it does not turn you into a driving god/or beat physics. I got a little carried away turning into a snow covered side road from a gritted road and the front lost grip for a bit. But that was my fault. If you drive as you normally would then you will have added security over normal tyres.

I expect I will be putting them on this weekend as temps are starting to come down. My plan is/was to run them 4-5 months of the year.

Probably more like VW compared to Audi, with Kormoran being the Skoda equivalent. Tyre technology has improved considerably since the days of the Metro which had unusual millimetric sizes.

• 1 month later...

Hi - OK, Kleber Quadraxers: Quality tyre: I just scrapped a Citroen C5 Estate having had Quads on for 2yrs - and have just fitted a new set to the replacement Superb. These tyres DO work, all year round, but crucially are brilliant in snow/ice (they have the Snow-Mark), as tested extensively here and in the Alps. Go boldly where you wouldn't dare to go before - it's weird, the feeling of confidence takes some getting used to!

In the wet they are very good, clear water very effectively with good stopping grip.

Dry performance is perhaps a tad poorer than a proper summer tyre (they replaced Dunlop SP Sports on the C5), but handling was still excellent and absolutely no hint of having to remember you've got all-seasons fitted and drive differently!

Comes down to what kind of driving you do and driving within the envelope of the car/tyres etc.

The Quads can be a little noisier - different road noises are more noticeable with different road surfaces - perhaps it's just them actually working properly - again it's never been an issue.

Apart from the extra sipes, they use a compound that qrips better at low temps - but surprisingly doesn't seem to wear any worse than summer tyres. Made in Poland - Kleber is a subsidiary of Michellin - quite common in Europe - ref some previous earlier posts, no qualms whatsoever re quality.

All-in-all I wouldn't be without them - hence putting 'em on the Superb, so far (only about 500m) performing as expected - no snow test yet - Alpine trip over the New Year....

I've not tried any other type of all-season nor had the chance to compare against full winter tyres, but many are suggesting just leave these on all year too.

I got mine from Event Tyres (Henley depot) - I can recommend their mobile fitting service. We had Pirrelli PZero Nero on the Superb when purchased - my son said "Whoa - it's no longer like driving on marbles now!!"

I don't work for Kleber - just continue to be impressed by these tyres!! If more folk used them or similar maybe we'd not grind to a halt every time there was a dusting of snow. Better winter driving driver-training wouldn't go amiss either of course...

Also confirm Thule CK-7 095 chains fit these tyres (225/45 R17) on the Superb SE 170 2.0L TDi - they just clear the outside of the MacPherson strut tube. They are a fine link variety, and approved for this size/car by Thule. I test fitted them when buying and checked around the wheel etc. - all good, but <<you need to satisfy yourself>> that they are good for your car/tyre - Skoda do not endorse chains on the 225/45 R17 full stop.

Sorry - post is a little long - but I hope this helps someone stay out of trouble this winter...

Pete

• 5 weeks later...

MK1 Octy vRS with ESP, not just TC.

I have been giving mine a good work out today. Left work midday, the main roads were fine no traction issues, so when I got to my town I spent about 15mins driving around an untreated housing estate on a hill.

A rear wheel drive delivery van and a MK5 & 6 ish Fiesta had problems but I was ok. Later on I picked up my girlfriend and I went back upto the hill to show her (how fun for her ;) ) how well the car was going. At one point I stopped on the slope to see if I could pull away but I could not. I tried quickly without ESP but wheels span easily, so the ESP was making a massive difference so turned it back on. In the end I had to 3-point-turn and go back down the hill, turn and go back up without stopping.

In the end I think the Quadraxer's worked pretty good. There is a lot of rear end grip. Braking seemed good also, you could brake quite well without getting the ABS to come on.

With all four brake calipers going on/off the ESP is quite noisy.

• 4 years later...

Several years later... 

I fitted 3-Peak-and-Snowflake Quads to my 2012 Yeti 2.0Tdi 140 4x4 DSG in August 2014, as welcome replacements for the short-lived OEM Conti's.  They are 215/60/R16's, supplied by Mytyres and fitted by a local indie.  They did nearly 22,000 miles on the Yeti 4x4 before the non-standard 16" wheels were transferred on to its successor, a 1.2 Tsi 2WD in March this year (2017).  During this summer, another 4,700 miles have been added, giving a total mileage of c26,700 to date.  The remaining tread is typically >5mm centre and >4mm shoulders.  They've worked hard on a fairly even mix of local (and more distant) potholed lanes and on rather better A+M roads.  Sadly (!), they've never met snow but anything else they have so far dealt with faultlessly. 

At the present rate, they might be fit for replacement about this time next year.  The present set cost ~£480, fitted; Google shows a replacement cost of ~£420 for the Quadraxer 2, as compared with ~£540 for the 'equivalent' Michelin Cross Climate.  Worth considering.   

I have just bought in a set of them for my daughter's late 2009 Ibiza 1.4 SC - it uses 215/40 X 17 and the choice for that size in all season tyres with the 3-Peak-and-Snowflake is severely limited, so I went for these Kleber Quadraxer 2 tyres, from autopink as they were cheapest (a Mytyres company).  For anyone considering buying these tyres, I'd suggest start watching prices from September onwards as the prices were rising quite quickly when I finally placed my order in the middle of October, I just dragged my heels as I was trying  to convince my daughter that for her use, all seasons would make sense having a light car with wide tyres, seemed like she would have agreed to paying for anything - well almost. I am being a bit selfish here as she is staying at home having just returned from working abroad and will move back into her flat in a month or so once her current tenants have sorted themselves out with another place to live, the thing is, our driveway is quite steep and we live at over 300 feet above sea level, so almost on the midwinter snow line - and I would be expected to get out of bed and help with snow clearing if she just bought another set of Goodyear Efficient Grip tyres!