My dog ate my key :(

One of the dogs was crunching something -my car key must have fallen out of my pocket when I was sat on the floor playing with the dogs earlier. The key still functions but it has holes in it. I assume I could buy another key or a shell and swap the blade and transponder. I've had a look on eBay, my key looks a little different as the side with the buttons is one piece (most of the ones on eBay seem to be in two).

It's a 2011 Fabia Greenline II

Any help with instructions for dismantling reassembly and choosing a correct replacement would be very much appreciated.

I have tried searching the forum but there are just too many key related threads.

One piece are immo4 so chassis number ordered. If you can retain the transponder & swap the blade you can always code in the remote fob part but I've never split that key type to find a transponder.

If you can't salvage the transponder then it looks like a factory order.

• Like 1

The one piece keys dont come apart im afraid, at least ive never managed to get one apart. I think I may have a few spares at work ill need to check. I can send them to you and your more than welcome to have a try and see if you can salvage something.

Thanks I'd like that

I have managed to disassemble my key. I have further damaged the casing doing so but seeing as it was ruined I had nothing too loose.The whole case is held together by a metal pin as indicated by the arrow in the photo (picture from eBay -not my key):

key1.jpg

I can see no way of removing the pin from an already assembled key save for driving it further in to the plastic with a small punch or similar

There does not appear to be a separate transponder as in the older type keys -I assume that it is one of the components on the circuit board.

Here's the shell of my key with the arrow showing the pin:

Keyshella.jpg

And pictures of the board front and back:

keyboard_back.jpg

keyboard_front.jpg

You can get a whole new key at mister minute or similar. The one near me has all the VW group banded 'blank' keys to cut for a bit less than £100 each. Expensive still but less than a dealer. I had one last year for my octavia. 'twas fine

is it poss to get to the back of the pin via the blade gap, with a small "L" shapped tool to pull the pin out a bit then grab it with pliers?

No unfortunately - It is blocked by the keyblade regardless of what position it's in

Can you not fix that transponder? Superglue and solder ? On closer inspection doesn't look too damaged ?

There's nothing wrong with the transponder -it's the outside shell that's wrecked. I'm hoping to buy a key off a breakers or buy a new case if such a thing is possible and swap my internals in to it

Edited by greenstripe

Loads on eBay cheap as chips

Unfortunately 99% of the keys on eBay are not the same type as mine -the side with the buttons on is one continuous piece on mine. The older two piece types have a little Philips screw under the Skoda badge

I have one! Got the key here, 3T0.837.202.C from a 2011 car, one piece key. As new, unmarked, comes without blade.

IMG_20120817_094715.jpg

IMG_20120817_094839.jpg

IMG_20120817_094856.jpg

20 quid Paypal Gift to my email address and I'll stick it in an envelope and post it off to you today. Let me know!

EDIT: Please reply here or PM, I've left my phone at home today so no push emails sorry. I'll check back every so often.

I know the cases are different between the old and new keys but are the internals the same? If so could you slot your key and transponder into and old style case?

Surely the pin is in place to prevent opening, therefore a blank case should not have the pin fitted, unless there is some super secret VAG key opening tool?

Tech1e is very kindly sending me some bits which I hope I shall be able to do something with -Thank you for the offer hussein

I know the cases are different between the old and new keys but are the internals the same? If so could you slot your key and transponder into and old style case?

Surely the pin is in place to prevent opening, therefore a blank case should not have the pin fitted, unless there is some super secret VAG key opening tool?

I'm sure that you are right and that is why they are made that way. The Internals are not at all the same as the old keys; The old type transponder is in a glass capsule and separate from the board -the transponder on mine is fixed on to the board which is being snapped off with a pair of pliers in the video above -I'm not up to doing this kind of surgery without knowing properly what I am doing.

Edited by greenstripe

Big thanks to Tech1e for the donor keys-managed to do it in one using the method in the above video. I didn't bother to put the pin back in as some of the plastic that holds it inside broke when I hammered it in, however the key is pretty robust anyway without it. Tested and all working fine.

Edited by greenstripe