MkII Octavia vRS

Before I start, please note I'm a newbie to this scene and the car buying scene in general.

I've had two cars up to this present moment in my life, both were inherited I guess..long story.

Anyways, I'm looking into a newer car, with more style, more pedigree and more power. The MkII Octavia vRS looks mint and you don't pay the premium for badges at the moment..

Could someone please offer me some sincere advise to a first time solo buyer and about the car in question.

My requirements are small:

Budget: £8-10k

Petrol

Aux connector (i.e iPod)

Multiple CD changer

Low(ish) mileage (I turn my nose up at anything over 50k, I put it down to fear of the allegedly ragged)

Any advice is more than welcome, I've searched through the forums for a good few pages and found it all very interesting, you guys are very passionate about these vehicles.

Thanks.

You don't say if you want petrol or diesel?

If you don't do many miles then the petrol vrs is a bargain.

Mileage isn't a big deal on either version. My petrol VRS has 63k and runs like new.

My suggestion would be to look for a facelifted petrol VRS with the newer TSI engine. It's a bit more economical, is a bit cheaper on road tax and has a chain cam that doesn't need changed.

Don't know about the Aux but it can be done but I think you have to lose the disk changer to do it. Newer models might be different.

Not too many major problems with the petrols. You need to check the inner edges of the back wheels for wear.

Oil consumption can be high on some but that's not something you can check when buying.

You don't say if you want petrol or diesel?

If you don't do many miles then the petrol vrs is a bargain.

Mileage isn't a big deal on either version. My petrol VRS has 63k and runs like new.

My suggestion would be to look for a facelifted petrol VRS with the newer TSI engine. It's a bit more economical, is a bit cheaper on road tax and has a chain cam that doesn't need changed.

Don't know about the Aux but it can be done but I think you have to lose the disk changer to do it. Newer models might be different.

Not too many major problems with the petrols. You need to check the inner edges of the back wheels for wear.

Oil consumption can be high on some but that's not something you can check when buying.

He did say petrol.

I would second that suggestion.

I bought the 1.4 tsi (about six months ago, 09 reg). Plently fast enough for me and gets better mpg than my old fiat punto. One day get it remapped for an extra +30 hp. Was thinking what I would get if I upgraded, nearest thing I cold think would be bmw 3 series, but it has a smaller boot and costs much more and has an awful image. VW same again.

The interior is a bit plain on my base model, and the dashboard squeaks - but there is a fix for that.

Was about to say no need for the VRS but just checked the hp difference, a 1.4 is 120hp and the vrs 200hp. Christ on a bike that must be fast.

Edited by nimchimpsky

He did say petrol.

He did :blush:

200hp. In an Octy I'd describe that as adequate. You'd be shocked just how quickly you get used to it.

I reckon about 300 would be the sweet spot :devil:

Edited by Aspman

200hp. In an Octy I'd describe that as adequate. You'd be shocked just how quickly you get used to it.

I reckon about 300 would be the sweet spot :devil:

I can't imagine where I'd use it. If I was that into speed I would get a motorbike, or go on track days, or buy a two seater.

Oh yeah and regarding the Aux connector (i.e iPod), and Multiple CD changer. Apparently no one does multichangers any more, its all mp3's. These you can fit afterwards anyway.

Edited by nimchimpsky

I can't imagine where I'd use it. If I was that into speed I would get a motorbike, or go on track days, or buy a two seater.

Oh yeah and regarding the Aux connector (i.e iPod), and Multiple CD changer. Apparently no one does multichangers any more, its all mp3's. These you can fit afterwards anyway.

I've got the Bolero unit in my nearly 2 week old vRS and that has a 6 disc multichanger built in. As well as the SD slot and Aux in.

• Like 1

I was being a bit tongue in cheek but genuinely 200hp doesn't really feel like that much in an Octy. My previous three cars had never had more than 100hp and I still wasn't shocked. I had a bike too so I suppose I was a bit more used to higher hp/ton.

Cars are very heavy these days so big hp figures don't mean what they used to. I would guess an older 182 clio would feel quite a bit faster than a VRS.

as has been said bolero has in-built cd changer and aux and (if its not already fitted) mdi is easy retrofit which means you have have your ipod in the glove box.

any FL vrs will have bolero and some pre-FL also have this - either way bolero itself is easy retro-fit to a car that does not already have it.

your budget should get you and early FL car i would expect?

personally i would not be too worried about miles - modern cars are pretty reliable - i would suspect that if you did a "pepsi-challenge" with a low miles and high miles car you'd not be able to tell the difference. 02p etc.

My pre-facelift 57-reg has the "Stream MP3" stereo and has aux in (inside the central armrest) and autochanger, I think as part of an options pack. The in-dash CD player can read MP3s on CD. However, I would give all of this up for a USB or SD slot!

200bhp is good but wasted a lot of the time. However, the low-down torque in the VRS makes it worth it for me.

This is the only facelift petrol vRS on Autotrader under £10,000 with less than 50,000 miles.

The advert claims its an automatic (DSG) but the car pictured is a manual so I'm assuming it's a mistake.

No options so its factory standard specification but you do get an SD card on the head unit and an AUX input inside the centre armrest.

Are you man enough for the colour though!?

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201238485656824/sort/pricedesc/usedcars/price-to/10000/maximum-mileage/up_to_60000_miles/fuel-type/petrol/model/octavia/make/skoda/onesearchad/used/onesearchad/nearlynew/onesearchad/new/page/1/keywords/vrs/postcode/sl13yd/radius/1500?logcode=p

If your not too fussed on the facelift and would be happy with a pre-facelift (I wouldn't as the LED DRL's on the FL look ace!) then the LE (Limited Edition) is a nice car.

The LE is again factory standard, they are all grey with aftermarket alloys but just look a the leather seats! Drool! There are only 500 in the UK.

The LE also gets the updated dashboard / interior from the facelift model (and larger wing mirrors) which includes the Bolero headunit with the SD card and the AUX input in the centre armrest.

Mega low mileage...

http://www.autotrade.../1500?logcode=p

Edited by silver1011

silver1011, that FL is definately better looking..wow! What year was the FL? My girlfriend would love it if I got the Yellow car haha. Not sure if I'm man enough ;)

I'm keeping my eyes peeled for ones on autotrader, pistonheads and motor.co.uk - also in talks with local Skoda dealers to see what they have on their forecourts.

Thanks for all your responses so far, it all helps.

If your not too fussed on the facelift and would be happy with a pre-facelift (I wouldn't as the LED DRL's on the FL look ace!) then the LE (Limited Edition) is a nice car.

The LE is again factory standard, they are all grey with aftermarket alloys but just look a the leather seats! Drool! There are only 500 in the UK.

The LE also gets the updated dashboard / interior from the facelift model (and larger wing mirrors) which includes the Bolero headunit with the SD card and the AUX input in the centre armrest.

Mega low mileage...

http://www.autotrade.../1500?logcode=p

Place is only a mile from me, need to inspect it.