metro gti spi daily driver opinions

billybaggins

Depends on its condition but there is a reason you don't see many about now.

Fragile would be a good word, plus getting parts is getting real tough now. We were a MG/Rover dealer at one point, still have a lot of Rover customers but there are lots of parts that just aren't available anymore.

Depends on its condition but there is a reason you don't see many about now.

Fragile would be a good word, plus getting parts is getting real tough now. We were a MG/Rover dealer at one point, still have a lot of Rover customers but there are lots of parts that just aren't available anymore.

i thought rust was mainly the reason there arent many here now. Must be more reliable than an old mini and theres plenty of them still about.

I used to look after one someone rallied, engine wise I agree they are fine if looked after, they rot away (as only an Rover/MG can) the hydrolastic suspension leaks (not sure if they all have this) and generally are not a great owning experience.

My daughter in law bought one a few years ago 'because it was cheap' and it was nothing but trouble, I found her a Micra and she ran that for 3 years and only lost about £300 in value.

There are MUCH better cheap cars around than a metro.

I had a brg H reg Gti many years ago when I was a lad and I bloody loved it. It had been slightly breathed on by motobuild. It had pipercross induction kit, Ashley straight through exhaust, piggy back chip, was like the proverbial off the shovel. I used to rag it everywhere it was great. I'd say if it's in good condition then go for it mate.

Sent from my phone, using my thumb.

Elaborate on that? Have you owned one? I know people think k series engine, head gasket etc. But i think if well maintained they are a simple engine so should tick over rightly. cheap to repair too.

I've only owned proper Metros, but as said I work at an ex Rover dealer so have seen my fair share of them.

It was **** when it was new and not likely to have aged like a fine wine.

I had a couple of mates with them and they were all dogs and deathtraps.

If you're feeling retro you might want to look at a 205GTI. Bit of a cult following there and if you can keep it running and clean you might get your money back in a few years.

GTa or is it a GTi ??

What is the low miles that a 22 year old car has done?

Does it have a wallet full of MOT's and receipts?

http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austin_Metro

I was searching them out in scrap yards 10 years ago for seats, steering wheels etc.

The ones that were being broken were scrap. Sorry, that was obvious, obviously.

No idea what a 22 year old one is like. I would say unless it is a cherished piece of beauty, forget it.

If it is costing you £400, or no more than £500 & everything works and it is legal i would probably go for it.

I take it that you are able to put in another engine or fix anything yourself & will know if it is any good.

If the owner loves it and is only parting with it because you will look after it, then leave them with it.

Not many of them about in Scotland anymore.

george