Wing mirror heater

The driver side mirror heater (demister) of my car isn't clearing the mirror as quick as the passenger side.

How easy is it to replace the element, anyone done it?

Also, I always forget to move the switch back to normal after putting the demister on, is there a time out for this or does it stay on all the time? It's been on for days without me noticing before!

Cheers

The heating element is seperate from the mirror glass so it is easy enough to swap-out.

Pop off the mirror glass and the plastic frame holding the heating element will be revealed.

The glue/adhesive on the Octavia mirror glass is known to deteriorate over time, sometimes to a point the mirror glass begins to wobble and eventually drops out. As the mirror begins to detach it is possible the heat transfer is reduced, hence it becomes less effective at clearing the glass?

There have been a few threads on the heated mirrors and whether or not they are on a timer (similar to the rear heated window). The concensus at the time was that they aren't and therefore as long as the switch is on the heating is on.

Leaving them on all the time is also rumoured to be the reason why the mirror glass can delaminate (brown marks) quicker than normal...

Edited by silver1011

I've just had to replace my drivers side mirror glass - I broke it (my fault). Had to pay £50 for the genuine replacement (ouch). I couldn't see the glass detatching from the plastic frame and heater element so I assume the replacement (which is in the post) is the whole assembly and not the glass on its own.

Also, I always forget to move the switch back to normal after putting the demister on, is there a time out for this or does it stay on all the time? It's been on for days without me noticing before!

If they're set to come on they work in conjunction with the rear screen demister.

• 2 weeks later...

Got the mirror off today, connectors are fine but the heating element is coming off the glass. Is this repairable or is it a new mirror?

Found this, i'm sure it will be the right one,

http://carwingmirror...ors(952785).htm Octavia MK2 [05-09] Clip in Heated Mirror Glass

It's £20 cheaper than from a main dealer

Cheers

Edited by DionJ

are you saying that your heated mirrors can be turned on and work alone,

without also having to switch on the rear screen demister?

AFAIK all Mk2's with electric mirror adjustment have on the mirror switch a position for wing mirror heather. Rotate the knob so the white dot is pointing to the front of the car.

Yes,

but does it heat the Mirrors element without the Rear Demister being switched on?

mine doesnt in any vehicle & hasnt in Skodas.

Thats why i ask to be sure that your mk2 Octavias are different and you can use the mirror heaters independent of the rear screen being switched on.

george

bluevrs2,

are you saying that your heated mirrors can be turned on and work alone,

without also having to switch on the rear screen demister?

george

Mine certainly work independently. Often have to use the heated mirrors but rarely need or use heated rear window.

Sarge.

Edited by Sarge

Yes I hardly use the rear window heater, the aircon negates that, keep the heaters on the mirrors on constantly as here on the moors get fog very frequently , they clear very fast independent of the rear demister. My Lexus IS200 heated up all the time no switch

well I did not have them fall off on mine, had 3 tiny spots on each, but sold my old ones to members on here whos glass had fallen off anyway , it took 6 years to get like that anyway

Actually this morning my Fabia worked as the Owners Hand Book said,

'Heating the external mirror','Turn the rotary knob to position (~~)'

'The exterior mirror heater only operates when the engine is running'.

The last one only worked with the Rear screen on & 'She Who Is Obeyed' could then at least see there was a Yellow light with squiggly lines on a button at eye level shining and try to switch it off.

So i could safely leave the mirrors switched on in the hope they would be switched off sometime.

I will just continue to do the defrosting procedure & remember to turn off the mirrors before handing over the car.

george

• Like 1

My Ford wing mirror heaters came on with the rear demister, good thing about that was I didn't have to remember to switch it off again.

VW/Skoda work independently, my question was does it switch off automatically after a while, the answer is no! Also tested this morning, if I use the rear demister it does not heat the wing mirror.

Anyway, back to my question.... lol

The heating element is coming away from my mirror. Is that repairable or do I need to buy a new mirror and element?

Cheers

Why, oh why, do Skoda not provide an LED warning light to remind you when the mirror heaters are switched on??? I don't leave my heaters on in fear of burning out the elements, something that happened on an old Vectra I used to have.

Mike

that's such a good idea lol. It's on for the rear demister. Or even better, get it to go off after a while