flywheel n clutch conversion

ok every thing is done but now there is steeering wheel light on the dashboard which turns yellow after red.

The first drive after the SMF was amazing didn't drive very long but the difference was amazing, will come to know in a week or so as this car(taxi) does 1100 miles in a week on average , the steering wheel light on the dash board is gone now after putting new battery in.

Another big imporvement is that my car use to judder very bad in WARM start and it use to take 5 seconds to start the car .

Now after new SMF kit it starts straight away with in a second. :rock:

The first drive after the SMF was amazing didn't drive very long but the difference was amazing, will come to know in a week or so as this car(taxi) does 1100 miles in a week on average , the steering wheel light on the dash board is gone now after putting new battery in.

Another big imporvement is that my car use to judder very bad in WARM start and it use to take 5 seconds to start the car .

Now after new SMF kit it starts straight away with in a second. :rock:

Some more feedback

Almost 600 miles of drive after SMF kit their is horrible vibration in the car :wall:

, when idle its fine but when driving vibration comes from the gear knob and through the feet and through the dash board just wondering may be i have done the wrong decision , may be its going to damage the shaft and gear box by the look and feel of the vibration. Never experienced this kind of vibration with my old DMF which did 133k miles from new.

Will give it another week and see how its going to behave

How we're your engine mounts when they had the gearbox out?

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

No idea as its been done by the private garage , and they are well known they have done quite few SMF conversions.

New development is now i have a knocking noise coming out of the engine, this is scary now.

The whole question is, Is it worth it to changing the DMF to SMF ???????????????????????????

~My personal experience big NO , the DMF if it is lasting 40k its worth it as you will have the quality of drive no vibration or any doubts .

So looks like £550 gone in to the drain.

I think i should change it to its original DMF ASAP.

Really SAD :sweat:

No idea as its been done by the private garage , and they are well known they have done quite few SMF conversions.

New development is now i have a knocking noise coming out of the engine, this is scary now.

The whole question is, Is it worth it to changing the DMF to SMF ???????????????????????????

~My personal experience big NO , the DMF if it is lasting 40k its worth it as you will have the quality of drive no vibration or any doubts .

So looks like £550 gone in to the drain.

I think i should change it to its original DMF ASAP.

Really SAD :sweat:

As mentioned, get your engine mounts looked at.

They may have damaged one when they were doing the work, or a mount that they removed may have worked loose. Any of these things happening will give you all the symptoms you mention.

If you take the engine cover off and give the engine a good shove back and forward, you can hear if a mount is bad.

Edited by booke23

They may have damaged one when they were doing the work, or a mount that they removed may have worked loose. Any of these things happening will give you all the symptoms you mention.

If you take the engine cover off and give the engine a good shove back and forward, you can hear if a mount is bad.

Thanks Booke23 and Mike, car is booked for Saturday afternoon for check let see what they say.

Does anyone knows any good and cheap garage in Leicester or near Leicester who know about these kind of issues .

If it is vibrating and knocking I would get it looked at pronto before it throws a rod or something else terminal.

Out of all the people who have had SMF conversions this is the first failure (if it is related) I have heard of.

It might be something else, you never know until you get it looked at. I would say that continuing driving is the worse thing you can do at the moment until you know where the problem lies.

Wouldn't be the first time a mount had worked loose after a cambelt or clutch change.

Does that knocking sound has anything to do with injectors ??

why do you suspect injector issues?

First places to check are anywhere that has been disturbed or dismantled when the new clutch went in.

Engine mounts, driveshafts, the actual gearbox itself etc.

why do you suspect injector issues?

First places to check are anywhere that has been disturbed or dismantled when the new clutch went in.

Engine mounts, driveshafts, the actual gearbox itself etc.

Agreed.......whatever the cause, it's highly likely to be related to the work you have just had done.

Agreed.......whatever the cause, it's highly likely to be related to the work you have just had done.

Thanks for your suggestions guys , car is in garage and they are going to check tomorrow , on initial check they completely denied that their is any noise from the engine and according to them its normal but i know its changed well i never heard that before.

Fingers crossed i am hoping their is nothing major.

Thanks agian

My Clutch is starting to make a noise at 77k in my 06 1.9tdi 4x4.

Does the 4x4 have the same DMF clutch as non 4x4's or is it a Haldex Clutch that uses a DMF. In other words does this issue affect my car as well. Engine code is BKC.

Thanks for your suggestions guys , car is in garage and they are going to check tomorrow , on initial check they completely denied that their is any noise from the engine and according to them its normal but i know its changed well i never heard that before.

Fingers crossed i am hoping their is nothing major.

Thanks agian

Car is fine nothing wrong with it as per the garage , things i have noted

- Gear changes is very smooth no jerk at ll

- Power transfer is very good

- Their is a slight vibration in the cabin which can be ignored once you get used to it.

So i am thinking now nothing can be done with this vibration have to live with it

I've always heared good things from people who have done the conversion but seems just bad luck really

How bad is the vibration??

Well i always had vibration with DMF after changing the gear and increasing the speed but after like say RPM is on 15/20 drive is smooth no vibration at all but with SMF drive is very smooth uptill 40MPH and after that their is very strange vibration like mobile phone vibration i think i am feeling it because i never felt like this before , i can live with it unless i am sure its not going to damage any thing else.

Mostly i feel it as if i put my foot down rushing .

Well i always had vibration with DMF after changing the gear and increasing the speed but after like say RPM is on 15/20 drive is smooth no vibration at all but with SMF drive is very smooth uptill 40MPH and after that their is very strange vibration like mobile phone vibration i think i am feeling it because i never felt like this before , i can live with it unless i am sure its not going to damage any thing else.

Mostly i feel it as if i put my foot down rushing .

Sure it's not a faulty flywheel not balanced properly??

Is it engine revolutions or speed related?

I.e is it always at 40mph regardless of if you are in 2nd or 5th?

Or is it always at the same revs?

You said the car was perfectly fine for a week, are you sure it isn't a worn engine mount or an unbalanced wheel or a calliper binding?

You did get the release bearing replaced at the same time didn't you?

Is it engine revolutions or speed related?

I.e is it always at 40mph regardless of if you are in 2nd or 5th?

Usually it happens after 40mph but most noticeable when i put my foot down .

Or is it always at the same revs?

No at any rev but intermittent

You said the car was perfectly fine for a week, are you sure it isn't a worn engine mount or an unbalanced wheel or a calliper binding?

Vibration has been reduced now and looks like either its reducing or i am getting used to of it

You did get the release bearing replaced at the same time didn't you?

I have no idea what ever comes in Valeo smf kit is been replaced

I can only speak from personal experience, but I thought I'd add some input into the DMF to SMF debate.

I'm a cabbie and our family taxi company has been running Octavias (and Superbs) 1.9s for about 10 years or so. At any one time we have about 20 on the fleet, some bought from new and some bought and plated with around 30/40k miles on the clock. We have our own workshop and all have at one time or another required Dual mass flywheel replacement, some as late 100k miles+, and some even as early as 65K miles. We kind of take it as read that this job will need doing at some point with these vehicles' and in fact even if the vehicle only requires a clutch replacement we switch to an SMF kit as a matter of course. We do this for two reasons, firstly because we only want to have to do the job once, and with the high mileage our vehicles cover in their lifetime a second replacement DMF being required is quite possible (less likely for the average private owner). And, secondly the SMF is far cheaper.

It's cirtainly not an issue that only effects Skoda, we have seen the same thing with just about every make of vehicle that we have used, from Ford, Vauxhall, and Nissan etc, and it seems to us that all marques are as susceptible to this problem as the other.

We have never experienced any issues at all using an SMF conversion on these vehicles or seen any detrimental side effects even after extended use and very high mileages.

• Like 4