Torque steer

What a pain torque steer is with my 2011 FL Octy VRS TSI.

Can anyone tell me that a Quaif LSD does away with this problem??

It was so bad the other day, my wife said, "are you playing at little boy drivers, turning the steering wheel side to side"?

Fortunately, she couldn't feel the front wheels sqirming around, trying to grip!!!

What a pain torque steer is with my 2011 FL Octy VRS TSI.

Can anyone tell me that a Quaif LSD does away with this problem??

It was so bad the other day, my wife said, "are you playing at little boy drivers, turning the steering wheel side to side"?

Fortunately, she couldn't feel the front wheels sqirming around, trying to grip!!!

A LSD will dramatically improve traction, however you will probably find that the transfer of power from one side to the other actually increases torque steer.

I'm afraid you just have to get used to it. The best thing is to make sure you have good tyres so they spin less, also fitting an engine mount insert stiffen up the lower engine mount so that the wheels spin rather than bounce the front of the car.

For example, my old MK2 Vrs had some nasty Nexen tyres fitted by the dealer and even though they were brand new, the car never gripped and was crap to drive. I nearly returned it but I decieded to change the fronts to Eagle F1s and the car was transformed.

...... but overall that is the limitation of FWD.

Next car with be 4WD ;)

But won't the LSD stop the transfer from side to side?

No, because that exactly what it does.

When a wheel spins the LSD cuts power to that wheel and transfers power to the other wheel that has more traction. It constantly delivers more power to the side that has the most traction. Hence the car will pull slightly left or right if more power is being delivered to the corresponding side.

As Hoffmeister has said good tyres are essential on stage 1.

I also am at stage 1 on a 2011 vRS, so know what you mean as to loss of traction / spinning wheels etc, 325lb of torque doesnt help! I have just learnt to use a light right foot in the lower gears, you actually get better results :)

weird, I have a decent but of power in mine and never find torque steer to be a problem at all, admittedly I am fairly progressive with the throttle, wheelspin also is only really a problem if I mash the throttle!

A quaife atb lsd definately aids traction no end. I had something very similar fitted to my alfa gta. Straight line traction much improved and a little torque steer but out of a roundabout on the gas you can literally slingshot the car around.

Steering geometry and damping makes a big difference to ts too. Never underestimate the influence of tyres!

Oh and if your running low and hard springs it can get worse too.

As above feeding the power in helps a lot. I've owned some silly cars where if you didn't feed it in you'd end up the other direction - probably the worst offenders being the alfa 260bhp normally aspirated for fwd and Hsv supercharger for rwd 530bhp

Worst car I've ever driven for ts was awesome gti's mk4 apr golf - 300bhp on an open diff and lowered for looks - switching lanes with a dab of the right foot! In the dry! A standard 1.8t was faster from a to b

I'm afraid you just have to get used to it. The best thing is to make sure you have good tyres so they spin less, also fitting an engine mount insert stiffen up the lower engine mount so that the wheels spin rather than bounce the front of the car.

For example, my old MK2 Vrs had some nasty Nexen tyres fitted by the dealer and even though they were brand new, the car never gripped and was crap to drive. I nearly returned it but I decieded to change the fronts to Eagle F1s and the car was transformed.

...... but overall that is the limitation of FWD.

My car is running about 260bhp and it is at the limit really, it pulls left and right under hard acceleration and will spin the wheels in 1-4th gear on even a slightly moist road.

Next car with be 4WD ;)

A 4 w d is the answer. I had a Passat R36 for 2 years & nothing caused it problems except running cost :sweat:

Torque steer is a nightmare at times! :(

One thing that can help improve the torque steer would be better wishbone bushes, if they are worn they will allow movement and pull the toe out under acceletration giving you more torque steer! Even as daft as it sounds performance engine mounts do also improve a little as it helps stops weight transfer!

Soft tyres can also give more torque steer.

4WD cars do also suffer from torque steer, the only way to totally get rid is to buy a RWD car ;)

Awesome Mike

Torque steer is a nightmare at times! :(

One thing that can help improve the torque steer would be better wishbone bushes, if they are worn they will allow movement and pull the toe out under acceletration giving you more torque steer! Even as daft as it sounds performance engine mounts do also improve a little as it helps stops weight transfer!

Soft tyres can also give more torque steer.

4WD cars do also suffer from torque steer, the only way to totally get rid is to buy a RWD car ;)

Awesome Mike

Got White Line WALK front of wishbone & poly on rear of wishbone, Koni FSD & Eibach 20mm, rear 24mm ARB, 19in wheels with 235 section tyres, so more grip there. Falken tyres.

In the two years I had the R36, not once did I get torque steer & I gave that car some welly, ie track day @ Cadwell park & many launch control trials. Motor was re-mapped to about 330 bhp & DSG re-mapped for faster changes & manual use.

Sounds like you pretty much have all the bits on there :(

Sorry I should have put some 4WD cars CAN suffer from torque steer too, no where near as bad as 2WD but driven many high power cars where you still have to fight it a little.

Mike

HaHaHaHa :rofl: :rofl: you're right there Mike. I was looking at going the whole K04 hog (with all the bits) but it will cost about K7 so I'm going to try the LSD, full intercooler & perhaps turbo back exhaust which should give me a bit more than the present 314 lb ft :giggle: .

Colin.

Not too bad 314lb/ft! Always room for getting a little more hehe!! :D

Now I am going to assume that your car is a 2.0TSi engine - if it is APR offer a full K04 Conversion kit for just under £2400.00 (that is with software as well!!) Now there are a few things that are recommended with it but still, not a bad price!

Awesome Mike

Yes Mike, 2.0tsi.

The following is what I was quoted locally.

To supply and fit the Revo Technik KO4 turbo kit including, Revo Technik software upgrade, Milltek Sport turbo back resonated exhaust system, Revo edition THS front mount intercooler and Revo Technik 2.0 TSI intake would be £4799.00 including VAT, if you would rather have the enclosed ITG TSI induction kit we have in stock (the Revo intake is an open filter with a heat sheild) then this would be £108.80 less.

Revo also recommend fitting their uprated engine, pendulum and transmission mounts, Revo Technik throttle pipe and Revo Technik PSV revamp, these would be an extra £685.00 inc VAT

As discussed, we would remove the gearbox and send it to Quaife to have the LSD fitted at the same price JBS quoted (£400 +VAT?), Quaife quoted £790.00 + VAT for the LSD.

The temptation is great, but I can't really justify the cost & I'm still not compleatly happy with high speed in a straight line :think: :whew:

Well..... Let's see what we can do! :D

APR K04 Conversion Kit

APR Software

Milltek Turbo Back Resonated Exhaust System

THS Intercooler Kit

Neuspeed 2.0TSI Intake Kit

All fitted and mapped I make that to be: £4,700.00 inc VAT

We can offer the THS engine mounting system for £320.00 (if fitted at same time as the conversion kit)

You could look at the Neuspeed Discharge pipe and Intercooler pipes for better flow but these will not be NEEDED just recommended to get the most from the car.

As for the Quaife diff, I assume the gearbox is DSG with the price of the diff being £790+VAT

Mike

It's a bit too far to get to Irlam when I can get the work done just 18 miles away. Shame, I moved from Irlam in 1958 :nerd:

It's still the same.... Stuck in 1958 ;)

It's a bit too far to get to Irlam when I can get the work done just 18 miles away. Shame, I moved from Irlam in 1958 :nerd:

Really?! Hope it was nicer back then :p

Make the drive to us and I will look after you even more ;)

Awesome Mike

You're very lucky or never press the LOUD pedal in anger.

It usually happens to me on roads with any loose surface or if the road is damp in patches, when I go to overtake even if I am already doing over 40mph because there is so much torque.

I am definately going to give the Quaife LSD a try. :bandit: