1.2tsi Yeti, urgent buying advice needed!

polanglo

Ours isn't run in yet but 70mph equals just over 2100rpm in 7th (dsg) and it is very quiet even over 100 (beans per hour) :)

It is a small engine but it really is in no way 'underpowered', I'd recommend a test drive at least.

Just one more thing - if that's true then surely the DSG gearbox is the way to go in a 1.2 Tsi, and that's sounds great to me. I mean, if you're doing 80mph with a DSG and the revs are, say, 2500rpm, then how much faster does one want to go in a Yeti on a motorway? That's enough for me, personally. I'm 43 and not someone who potters about but I've grown out of my Gti and RS days, good though they were. My situation is that I live in Poland, and it's a 13 hour drive to Calais! This morning, my friend let me drive his 4x4 Yeti with the Tdi 138hp engine and I hated it, to be honest! A squidgy ride, the engine was noisy. It had done 50,000 miles so I don't know if he had given it a hard time for all of those miles. But I don't want to damn all of them. There is a 1.2Tsi Yeti as a demonstrator at my local Skoda dealer in Wroclaw so on Monday I may well go for a test drive - this one is a manual, so if I like it, then of course, it's the usual 8 week wait for a car with the DSG 'box....

Just one more thing - if that's true then surely the DSG gearbox is the way to go in a 1.2 Tsi, and that's sounds great to me. I mean, if you're doing 80mph with a DSG and the revs are, say, 2500rpm, then how much faster does one want to go in a Yeti on a motorway? That's enough for me, personally. I'm 43 and not someone who potters about but I've grown out of my Gti and RS days, good though they were. My situation is that I live in Poland, and it's a 13 hour drive to Calais! This morning, my friend let me drive his 4x4 Yeti with the Tdi 138hp engine and I hated it, to be honest! A squidgy ride, the engine was noisy. It had done 50,000 miles so I don't know if he had given it a hard time for all of those miles. But I don't want to damn all of them. There is a 1.2Tsi Yeti as a demonstrator at my local Skoda dealer in Wroclaw so on Monday I may well go for a test drive - this one is a manual, so if I like it, then of course, it's the usual 8 week wait for a car with the DSG 'box....

polanglo - I hate to say this but if you are regularly doing 13 hour motorway drives then maybe a Yeti is not the car for you! The 1.2 Tsi will not be fuel efficient at 80 MPH, but then nor will any Yeti - simple aerodynamics I am afraid. You would be better off with a more slippery saloon or hatchback - a Golf or equivalent would be ideal, if you can wait then the new Golf looks excellent.

Hello expatman, guess what? Someone just told me the very same on the phone. So I am not too proud not to listen to advice. It looks like this will be my last post on the subject of this. I would only be going to the UK a few times a year but even so, the journey should be a pleasurable and a quiet one. I can't afford a Golf - so I am staying loyal to the Skoda brand and will probably buy an Octavia 2.0 tdi with 6 gears. I've driven one many times and it's great. Thanks again for all your help everyone. I would love a Yeti but just can't afford the larger diesel versions.

Hello expatman, guess what? Someone just told me the very same on the phone. So I am not too proud not to listen to advice. It looks like this will be my last post on the subject of this. I would only be going to the UK a few times a year but even so, the journey should be a pleasurable and a quiet one. I can't afford a Golf - so I am staying loyal to the Skoda brand and will probably buy an Octavia 2.0 tdi with 6 gears. I've driven one many times and it's great. Thanks again for all your help everyone. I would love a Yeti but just can't afford the larger diesel versions.

Before I bought my Yeti I had a 2.0 Tdi 140 BHP Octavia Estate with DSG for 7 years. No problems whatsoever and a comfortable economic high speed cruiser. Octavia's are excellent value at the moment before their replacement with a new version in 2013. Excellent car, especially with DSG if you can get one, go for it.