Lower front grille sir, certainly

Well what a great introduction to the brand!

When I was looking to buy my Octavia II Sport I was aware that the lower front grille had a couple of 'teeth' missing. I called a Skoda dealer and told them the model and was quoted £16.10 for the grille. Very reasonable I thought.

So fast forward a few days later, having now bought the car, I called Skoda and ordered a lower front grille, gearknob trim and floor mats set, quoting the chassis number.

When I went to collect the grille was the standard item, not the one from the Sport bumper.

The parts guy hadn't seen a Sport before and at first he thought it had aftermarket bumpers, but I explained that there were bumper skirt overlays front and rear factory fitted over the standard bumpers.

He kindly removed the damaged grille and got the part number (1Z0853673).

A little later in the afternoon he called to advise that this part was discontinued as a stand alone item, but it was available as part of a three piece set (FAA610011) which also included the smaller grilles next to the fog lamps. This kit was priced at £130.00 + VAT!!!

I contacted Skoda UK Customer Services to ask them to justify the 812% price difference but their response was one of 'that's how much the part is sir'.

I have been fortunate to find an eBay seller offering the complete Sport front bumper overlay, factory painted, including all three grilles for only £107.00 delivered. (FAA610001) Skoda price for this item £580.00.......

So finally I have a smart looking car with three new grilles, but I also have a Sport bumper overlay and two used small grilles that I have no use for!!

Grrrrrrr Skoda, you robbing buggers!!!

Pete

Edited by Pete T

Why not just sell the extra bits on ebay then?? If you weren't happy with the price as you couldn't get it individually, wouldn't logic dictate that potential other's may well be in the same boat and be happy to buy the other individual bits off you instead of the full set?

Sorry about lack of pics, thanks Blackspaven, spot on. I'll add a pic of my car later :)

Don't worry, the bumper overlay is going on eBay as soon as I get chance to take pics.

Just couldn't get over the price difference!!!!

Yeah some parts are bloody expensive, try the silver trim on the door cars.. yeah that little piece of cheap fake aluminium...316 of your shiny british pounds please!. The reason.. you have to buy the whole door card WTF!

Second pic, looks like car has been fettled with

It certainly has, my friend. :ph34r:

...it's mine. B)

You certainly don't get a grille like that from factory or an Oettinger number plate holder.

Edited by blackspaven

Yeah Fubar I thanked the guy from Skoda Customer Services for passing on the cost of that to the consumer.....

I wouldn't have minded but their system gave the wrong info from the chassis number, it's got my car down as a Ambiente, which I realise it what it's based on, but you'd think they would change details that matter.

Yeah Fubar I thanked the guy from Skoda Customer Services for passing on the cost of that to the consumer.....

I wouldn't have minded but their system gave the wrong info from the chassis number, it's got my car down as a Ambiente, which I realise it what it's based on, but you'd think they would change details that matter.

My main dealer mis quoted me a price years ago for console bushes on the mk1 Fabia VRS saying after a service that they would need to be changed soon, under half the price all the other dealers were stating! I went back to them a few months later to say change please and they saw the price I had been told and realised it had been a mistake instantly but never argued just honoured it was very impressed with them for that.

Omg! That's a bit pricey like, hope I never need to replace mine.

And welcome to another fellow sport owner :-)

Thanks John, Sport all the way!!!

My main dealer mis quoted me a price years ago for console bushes on the mk1 Fabia VRS saying after a service that they would need to be changed soon, under half the price all the other dealers were stating! I went back to them a few months later to say change please and they saw the price I had been told and realised it had been a mistake instantly but never argued just honoured it was very impressed with them for that.

I'd kinda hoped Skoda would at least discount the part as their system had misquoted me but hey ho...

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Just spotted this on eBay which I think is the same thing and seems like a bargain.

Although I'm a little confused how it would sit right at the edges if it is stuck on top of the existing bumper and whether the fog lights would be deeper recessed...

I fitted one of these last year to mine quite straight forward the black bump strips unclip and remove,along with the bottom black part of original bumper, then take out fog lights ,then apply tiger seal and masking tape to hold in place, clips removed at wheel arch then re-clip newly sprayed bumper spoiler on .I had some help from a couple of sport boys on the forum took close up pictures for me ,I had pictures of the install but never figured out how to post them. It totally changes the look of the front , then made me think colour code the side bump strips but then the rear bumper ? thought where would I stop so never went any further.It cost more to spray it ,£120 than buy it.I think it was £110 delivered a genuine skoda part It was made to fit.

Just spotted this on eBay which I think is the same thing and seems like a bargain.

Although I'm a little confused how it would sit right at the edges if it is stuck on top of the existing bumper and whether the fog lights would be deeper recessed...

I also have a Sport and had to change the front spoiler after some fool hit it and left no details. I found one on eBay ready painted in silver so all I needed to do was carefully cut the old silicone sealant away from the standard bumper, clean then reattach the new one with tiger seal sealant. It was pretty straight forward really just wish I'd taken some pics of the process. The most demanding part was my dad and I sat on either corner as we applied pressure to the areas that needed it then hey presto 15 mins later it was solid.

Coat £116 delivered + £6 for the tiger seal and cherished time with my old man!

Edited by billywhiz040480