95RON or 98RON

RMvRS

Hi guys,

My car is a 02 Octavis vRS and I have a question for you, I have read in my owners manual that I should use 98RON fuel....is this correct (Last owner used 95RON)

I saw a recent car magazine programme (5th Gear) that did a study of the 95/98RON petrol using a VW Golf GTi and did a Dyno test with both types of fuel with no real world performance improvements?

If I need to use 98RON, can you tell me why?

Wrong section, should be in the Octy Mk1 one.

Some people say their car is smoother and more powerful on the good stuff, I've tried it and there's not much in it for the extra cost for me. Take a note how well it runs now and try 3 tank fulls of the good stuff and see if you notice any difference

Sent from my Galaxy S2 not a Crapple!

At 10 years old, I doubt 98ron is going to make much of a difference - unless the car has only done tiny mileage

I have long suspected "SUPER UNLEADED" is a big con to part fools from their money, BP used to advertise it as "getting up to 70 extra miles from your tank"; I worked out that with the money I saved from buying 95RON I could travel nearly 150 miles further!!! That was my old car, in my new one the figure is probably nearer 200 miles (smaller tank, but more fuel efficient).

I ran my 2001 MK1 vRS exclusively on 95RON, had no issues with it in all the years I owned it. Jabbasport even remapped it with 95RON fuel in mind.

Running 95RON is fine, you just lose a little in the performance stakes since the engine will dynamically adjust the timing to suit the fuel. I made a mistake once in Germany and put 92RON in, and it still run but got a fuel additive when we realised the mistake at 120MPH on the autobahn.

I wouldnt think given the car is now 10 years old that 98RON will make any difference so stick with the 95.

In my 100hp 1.4 Fabia, 95 Ron = Slow pick-up on gas pedal and engine sounds like a bucket of bolts. 98 Ron with additives i.e. Vpower or Ultimate =. Faster engine pickup, minimised engine sounds, and better MPG round town (Little difference on long runs).

I susoect that occurs with my car because of the higher-than-average compression ratio 10.3 :1.

Higher octane rating in a fuel gives improved anti-knock characteristics and lower engine wear.

Nick

What ever fuel you are using the ECU compensates the timing to give the best running. Higher octanes will give a marginal improvement in performance justa tiny bit but doubt if you will notice unless your name is Adrian Newey.

Hi my name is Adrian Newey and I use Shell 98 in my TSi :rofl:

Hi Adrian, your cars are going well again this year, whats on the drawing board for next year?

• Like 1

Just filled the fiat 500 with super unleaded and noticed an immediate

difference and improvement in throttle response and general rev-ability.

Really surprised at the difference.

I doubt a 1958 Fiat 500 will even care that it doesn't have an ECU. Of course carbureted cars will definitely notice a difference. You try running it on Cleveland Gold for instance, that'll give it an extra kick up the arse.

Our petrol has generally got worse over the years. Cleaner, yes. But far more "padding out" additives than it ever used to have.

I dont beleive you, even the experts say it takes 2-3 tanks before the ecu will adjust to the new fuel and show an improvement.

No they don't, there was a thread a few days ago which pretty much quashed that theory, with the modern engines electronics the change is noticed straight away due to the sensors, that's the whole point of the sensors, if you go from sul to ul the engine winds back straight away, its the same going from ul to sul,

I doubt a 1958 Fiat 500 will even care that it doesn't have an ECU. Of course carbureted cars will definitely notice a difference. You try running it on Cleveland Gold for instance, that'll give it an extra kick up the arse.

Our petrol has generally got worse over the years. Cleaner, yes. But far more "padding out" additives than it ever used to have.

I got a feeling he means a nu skool 500 which would mind if it had no ecu lol

I did a massive (as in kept track of receipts EVERY week) amount of petrol logging on Excel in the 3 years I owned my VRS and I regularly got an extra 20-30 miles out of a tank of 98/99 compared to 95 so it paid for itself. That said, these days the gap in price between the two is probably widening so there's not so much in it. And the odd times I had to use 95 the car felt unresponsive until I filled it with Super again then it felt like driving a remapped one until I got used to it again.

A lot of Mk1 Octavia owners if they're 1.8T engines (e.g. the VRS) will have had them remapped to be run on 98 RON anyway to prevent detonation because the timing and boost will be far from standard

Should have been clearer, sorry...

Yes it's a nu skool 500 lol :wonder:

It's definitely peppier than before. Took it out for a thrash

this morning to Tescos. It seems happier to rev in the upper

revs than before too. It is definitely up on puff. Not much but

noticeable.

Should have been clearer, sorry...

Yes it's a nu skool 500 lol :wonder:

It's definitely peppier than before. Took it out for a thrash

this morning to Tescos. It seems happier to rev in the upper

revs than before too. It is definitely up on puff. Not much but

noticeable.