Winter tyres on...and off again :(

dbg400

Well, one wheel anyway. Swapped the wheels over yesterday then had a trip over to Harrogate. Back there again today to drop the Spitzbergs off for storage. When I got back home my son pointed out there was a hissing coming from the back of the Yeti, and sure enough there was an inch of screw sticking out of the nearside tyre. Unscrewed it with a pair of pliers to find another inch or so inside the tyre. Not even 50 miles done.

So the spare is on and I'll drop the tyre off to get fixed tomorrow. I hadn't expected to get so much practice in at swapping wheels over. Still, at least it's made the purchase of a torque wrench more justifiable.

What bad luck. I got my winter wheels delivered last week and just waiting for the weather to get colder before fitting them. It's still 10 to 15 deg C down here in Hertfordshire so should probably wait until it's consistently below 10deg. Do most people wait for these sort of temperatures? I'd be interested to know what torque setting is required for Yeti wheel nuts.

Just fitted mine as it's been pretty cold here for a while and the car won't be used for another couple of weeks. Torque 88 pound. feet.

When I took out Skoda insurance they OK'd the winter tyres which are 205/55/R16 supplied with the car from the Skoda dealer.but when I told them that I had fitted them they said that they are too small and that they only accepted tyres within 2.5% diameter of the originals (mine are about 5% smaller). After checking what they'd actually said when I paid the premium they agreed to accept them. These tyres are a common standard winter tyre size for the Yeti.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Winters for me tend to be fitted end of October in the half term. Still generally mild this year, so may hold off a little longer :wonder:

Torque loading is 120Nm.

Regards,

TP

I was intending to fit mine the first week of November.

Having looked at the weather forecast on countryfile for the end of next week, the missus jokingly suggested we take them on the train with us when we go up to Manchester on Saturday to pick up the car before heading off to the Lake District.

Methinks she as not fully bought into the winter rubber concept just yet!!!

Just fitted mine as it's been pretty cold here for a while and the car won't be used for another couple of weeks. Torque 88 pound. feet.

When I took out Skoda insurance they OK'd the winter tyres which are 205/55/R16 supplied with the car from the Skoda dealer.but when I told them that I had fitted them they said that they are too small and that they only accepted tyres within 2.5% diameter of the originals (mine are about 5% smaller). After checking what they'd actually said when I paid the premium they agreed to accept them. These tyres are a common standard winter tyre size for the Yeti.

Has anyone else had this problem?

That seems odd as that size wheel is mentioned in the manual as a suitable size for winter tyres. It's what you have to go for if you want to use snow chains on the front wheels (or 205/50s on 17"s). The difference between the 205/55/16 and stock 225/50/17 is around 3.8%. My insurance company (Admiral) didn't seem particularly interested in the tyres (I said I would be fitting a Skoda approved size) and only wanted to know about the alloys. As they are not Skoda wheels I have a 'non-standard alloys' clause on the policy - they said I didn't need to notify them when changing over.

Winters for me tend to be fitted end of October in the half term. Still generally mild this year, so may hold off a little longer :wonder:

Torque loading is 120Nm.

Regards,

TP

I would have left it until then too, but we're on holiday then (in Llanigraham's neck of the woods) and half term week is looking quite frosty in the long range forecast.

It's interesting driving on 16"s as there is more of a difference in the ride than I'd have expected, given that the amount of rubber between the rim and the road is the same (205 with a 55 profile vs 225 with 50 both give a sidewall height of 112.5mm). I thought that the ride might be a little more firm with the slightly higher pressures but if anything it's softer. I could feel a little more give in the sidewalls when cornering, which makes me think that some of the harshness (that's a relative term, as I find the ride is fine for me) in the 17"s ride is down to the Dunlops. I should get a better idea in the next couple of weeks.

It's interesting driving on 16"s as there is more of a difference in the ride than I'd have expected, given that the amount of rubber between the rim and the road is the same (205 with a 55 profile vs 225 with 50 both give a sidewall height of 112.5mm). I thought that the ride might be a little more firm with the slightly higher pressures but if anything it's softer. I could feel a little more give in the sidewalls when cornering, which makes me think that some of the harshness (that's a relative term, as I find the ride is fine for me) in the 17"s ride is down to the Dunlops. I should get a better idea in the next couple of weeks.

Some of the harshness in the wider tyres is because they weigh a good deal more, hence the ratio of sprung to unsprung weight is worsened, and this is a major determinant of ride quality. So narrower tyres = better ride, other things being equal.

Some of the harshness in the wider tyres is because they weigh a good deal more, hence the ratio of sprung to unsprung weight is worsened, and this is a major determinant of ride quality. So narrower tyres = better ride, other things being equal.

Also the winter rubber is softer and the tread pattern is more compliant making the ride a bit softer and of course slightly less positive steering in warmer weather.