red warning light with beep sound

hi all can any of you guys gimme any heads up. my red warning light comes on with beeping sound. have checked oil and levels ok, milage is 118500 so its due a major service .did notice it onlydid it when chucked round a few corners. its only the second time light has come on. have left car to have front brakes sorted, is it the oil sensor? or dirt at filter? hope its not actual oil pressure as that could be a big bill. hope you guys can help. cheers fraser

More than likely an blocked oil pickup in the sump. Don't drive it anymore. Drop the sump, change the pickup (this isn't an expensive part) and refit the sump (with a thin bead of sealant).

Lack of oil pressure = unhappy turbo = money = unhappy owner.

• Like 1

Very easy job to do. don't even need a new pick up pipe. you can just clean the old one. Gives you piece of mind and you know that you're next oil is actually clean because you can get rid of any muck in the sump.

You'll need a good allen key for all the bolts holding the sump. (can't remember the size), the sealant, and normal tools for oil change, Highly recommend doing this as routine anyway. Takes 2 hours tops including the cleaning and oil change.

Hi Fraser, same thing happened to me last week, changed the pickup in less than 2 hours as mentioned above...I chose to buy new parts from Skoda £15 for new pick-up and new o-ring. I work in Telford so if you need a hand doing the job I'd be happy to help if required

Same thing for me a couple of weeks back. Again i chose to purchase a new pickup pipe. Similar mileage at 124k and my pickup was in pretty bad shape. I would suggest not using the car if u can untill u get it sorted. As said not a major job, only a few bolts that are awkward and need a long 5mm ball head allen key. Other than that its a pretty easy all be it messy.

take its a common fault or lack of maintenence from previous owner? have got car booked in at my mates for front brakes. there warped and feels like getting a shock when you press them on. brings a smile to my face but shouldnt laugh really. will tell my mate the news then. hope to see some of you folks around and will take pionters

• 3 weeks later...

cheers guys seems to have done the trick. but now i have the what looks like a yellow gearbox light on manual says an electrical issue or emissions.

any pointers would again be gratefull. begining to wonder if i shoulda stuck to japanese :wall:

Take that back! ha. If you have no mechanical symptoms so far it could be nothing!

You'll have to get it scanned with VCDS or similar to identify the fault.

Don't let a garage take the **** with charging you. Someone local might have it and be willing to check it for a cup of tea.

Don't leave it long to check it.

taking it back today, hope its nothing serious. would prefer a hole in exhaust. also in 1000 miles (120 000) its due a big service, cam belt, water pump etc etc. cheers for getting back.

good stuff on this forum :sun:

touch wood alls ok had it scanned and 2 faults came up. 1-retarded cam. and 2-1296 code(think it was that number or was it 1286) says it might be thermostat.

had it reset and have only driven it back to house and all ok at the moment. did notice temp drop on the friday so could be thermostat i hope.

cheers for the info guys this is what clubs are all about. brilliant :happy:

the coolant temperature sensor is known to fail. Just on the Japanese car thing, when you come on a forum like this, 80% of threads are about something wrong with a car. seems there is loads that goes wrong but really there are only a few things that affect these cars and people know about most of them by now.

What oil did you use after the sump was off?

fully synth 5 30 i think its supplied by tps. can you get aftermarket stats and where from. never had any probs from old sunny zx hatch or 2 gti-r's.

just want a reliable car with no warning lights coming on other than fuel light :rofl: