My 2 yr old VRS just died on me !

Had my car a month and absolutely thrilled to bits with it. No issues until today. Driving up a hill and wheels spun a little ( wet roads and possibly slightly heavy right foot ) but it suddenly lost power and the EPC and engine management lights came on.

Continued driving for 10-15 seconds at 20mph, very limited power before noticing a cloud of smoke in rear view mirror. Now awaiting SKODA / RAC roadside assistance.

Gutted !!!!!

According to Skoda / RAC roadside assistance the diagnosis was that the first cyclinder was mis-firing. He swapped the coils around and established it wasn't an issue with those. He believes it's one of the fuel injectors. I'll be taking it to my nearest Skoda dealership in the morning and already have a courtesy car lined up. It can limp along at 30mph.

Not happy !!!!

lol NOT true that haha.

I dunno, if you don't like the person it could be amusing.

To be honest the biggest problem I see is that VAG UK seem to wash their hands of issues that affect the customers, or hold off as long as possible.

This is dreadful for the customer but they only get away with it, because people accept it or a poor goodwill gesture.

To deal with VAG (and others too) people need to start knowing their rights and when an engine or something goes bang at 5 years costing thousands take the selling dealer to court rather than a well we'll pay half.

Only when car manufacturers know they can't get away with it, will they change.

• Like 2

Mate, sorry to hear this. It does sound like a boost pipe issue similar to one I had a couple years ago. Now I dont want to scare you but the next big problem I had was a blown engine at 37700 miles.....happened just last week but I am a week in warantee still so VAG are fooing the bill!!

Is it a TSI? Looking at your bit next to your name it is, I bet its an injector?!

My TSI had this problem, cruising along quite happily, and then all of a sudden the EPC and engine management lights came on, started running like a sack of ****, and lots of smoke out the back! RAC/Skoda came out and tried swapping coils around and replacing them, then he checked fuelling or something and said thats injector no.1 thats dropped, it was over fuelling and running too rich, it had done it for so long but on this day it just gave up the ghost, car went back to the dealer and they sorted under warranty but took them about a week!!!

I wasnt overly worried as I was due to change to a diesel a few weeks later, but I would be worried about if I was you, was that when I traded mine in, they put it on the forecourt etc, and then one day they were having a shuffle around and it blew another load of smoke, and is more seriously poorly now, has been parked in the corner of the dealer now for around 2/3 months, when my problems first appeared it had only done about 6K miles.

So I would just keep an eye on it from now on if I was you, but the symptoms do sound very similar to mine.

Yes, it's a TSI and your description of what happened is EXACTLY what happened to mine. Hope I didn't buy your car ?!

I'm wondering if its worth taking back to the dealer I bought it from ?

I'm now feeling quite miserable !!!

• Like 1

Mate, sorry to hear this. It does sound like a boost pipe issue similar to one I had a couple years ago. Now I dont want to scare you but the next big problem I had was a blown engine at 37700 miles.....happened just last week but I am a week in warantee still so VAG are fooing the bill!!

1 week left on your warranty??? You lucky beggar.

Yes, it's a TSI and your description of what happened is EXACTLY what happened to mine. Hope I didn't buy your car ?!

I'm wondering if its worth taking back to the dealer I bought it from ?

I'm now feeling quite miserable !!!

Mine was with Murray in Newton Abbot a white TSI/DSG, but seriously, I have a feeling its a common fault as someone else mentioned it happened to them a while back as well? Wonder if it affects engines within other VAG cars as this is a cross group engine?

Although, pushing it around etc on a Bank Holiday Monday in a car park so it could be pulled onto the tow truck, you can imagine to looks pushing a Skoda around etc etc then the jokes from my family! When I rang the wife to tell her I would be late home as the Skoda had broke down, first thing she done was laugh, not ask me where, what, how etc, just laughed as its a Skoda!!!

I would say it is an injector as I had the exact same symptoms on my 1.8TSI last year about this time (car was just 2 years old). All going nicely then suddenly accelerating off a roundabout (flooring it a little) the EPC light came on, lost power carried on for a bit in limp mode. When trying to restart it clouds of white smoke. It was diagnosed as an injector stuck open and the smoke was caused by the unburnt fuel or something like that. I thought the engine was lunched but when the injector was changed all back to normal until yesterday when I found I had a coolant leak as described in my earlier post. So far Skoda's famed reliability is a crock of manure for me !!!!

God, I was hoping someone with a 1.8 wouldn't say that!

So would the advice be if it does this, limp to your local dealer/trusted indy before you switch the engine off as it'll be a bugger to start again?? :(

God, I was hoping someone with a 1.8 wouldn't say that!

So would the advice be if it does this, limp to your local dealer/trusted indy before you switch the engine off as it'll be a bugger to start again?? :(

Well when I stop and turned mine off it would not restart. It was running until I turned it off so maybe it would have made it to a dealer but I will never know. If an injector is stuck open pumping fuel into the cylinder when it should not I am not sure that would be good for the engine.

I had to nurse mine about a mile or so off the motorway into a service area and being honest I wouldnt of wanted to take it much further than that, certainly not wanting to make a journey to a nearby dealer/garage, its best to get it recovered.

Well garage fixed my car by replacing coils on cylinders 1&2 as they were causing a misfire. They said it was rare but one of those things that can occasionally happen with electrical components. It still has 11 months warranty so therefore cost me nothing. Took an hour for labour and out of curiosity I asked how much it would have cost me if not under warranty. £177