ASZ, BLT, EGR and remaps

Having just recently bough a 56 plate vrs I have been reading the million and one threads on here regarding remaps. As ours is the later model there is an issue with the EGR and remaps as far as I can tell.

Now, on to the questions. If I have ours remapped (nothing extreme) then do I need to have the egr physically bypassed? If not will it cause the eml to be permanently on? If it is remapped will this automatically delete the eml and therefore mean it doesn't have to have the egr bypassed?

If that made any sense I'd be interested to hear what is the best option.

You can have it mapped with the EGR still in place. Nothing physical has to change, only the software on the ECU.

A remap will not remove the function of the EGR. It can be turned down in software, but you'd have to ask your tuner or anyone with VCDS to do this.

If you physically remove the EGR, then you will get the light on the dashboard. This can be mapped out by most reputable tuners so that it doesn't fail an MOT.

can there be an egr sticky with all the correct info and links to asz egr delete kits and blt egr kits that keep the anti shudder and places who map the blt light out. its all getting abit anouying with so many threads asking the same question, also im not saying you are anouying just the fact that it is one of the most asked question so the answes should be made readily available in one click.

• Like 3

You can have it mapped with the EGR still in place. Nothing physical has to change, only the software on the ECU.

A remap will not remove the function of the EGR. It can be turned down in software, but you'd have to ask your tuner or anyone with VCDS to do this.

If you physically remove the EGR, then you will get the light on the dashboard. This can be mapped out by most reputable tuners so that it doesn't fail an MOT.

An EML doesn't fail an MOT within the new rules, it's just recorded as an advisory. I know as I had an MOT last week and have had my EML on for nearly two years after the EGR gasket mod.

The EGR function in the software can be totally switched off with an 8bit software switch, but the vac pipe needs disconnecting if this route is chosen.This is easier to do on the BLT engine as is runs on a MAP based smoke limiter at stock, though there are several ways of modifying the software to cope with the EGR removal, so depends on the tuner and the engine.

What is the effect on the car if you remap it without removing the EGR?
not a lot really, the EGR is fully closed in the range where tuners tend to modify, but the BLT hesitation can be sorted out in the software. Most tuners tend to close the EGR off in the software as part of the remap, by modifying expected air flow table.

Has anybody gone back to there tuner after having a remap, and then fitted an EGR delete kit to get them to turn the EML light off when they have fitted the EGR delete kit on a BLT?

How much did it cost to get sorted, I have a forge FMIC waiting to go on, and I'm weighing up the options of costs to fit an EGR delete kit at the same time.

The EGR delete kit I'm looking at is from Darkside delevopments and keeps the ASV. But need to know how much it's going to cost roughly.

My remap is a custom one with rolling road printout done by Jabba by the previous owner, iv pm ed them on here and asked the above and also emailed them, but no reply, I prob need to ring them to be honest.

Bondi, cheers for your reply, what do you think, shall I just unplug all if the vacuum connections on the egr and see if it throws up the light?

Yes, just the one vac hose that controls the EGR and block the pipe with a bolt or something, the ASV is electronic.

I have an Allard kit on my BLT, the EGR delete causes 3 active fault codes which brings on the EML. I have a Shark stage1 map with the EML mapped out.

I don't understand? you getting 3 active faults and an EML, or its mapped out?

I don't understand? you getting 3 active faults and an EML, or its mapped out?

From what I understand when he put the EGR delete on, it caused the EML light to come on. This has subsequently been mapped out with his Shark map.