Anti roll bars - confused

Hello all,

I've done some search both here and online. But I've got rather confused by it all.

Standard bars are hollow. Aftermarket are solid which helps with it being stiffer.

Now I understand that hollow does not mean weaker as the diameter verus wall thinkness is also important.

Lighter is better so I want to go for a hollow bar (eibachs 2 hollow bars felt like they weighed the same as one solid). But I'm getting mixed information on which bars are hollow.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

+1 on the Autotech bar too, a hollow option. I've run one for 2yrs and it's made a big difference. Any of the other options are worthwhile - Whiteline, Eibach etc.

With the hollow vs solid question I wouldn't say it'll make a noticeable difference on what is hardly a lightweight car - on a race/track vehicle perhaps :)

Wardy,

Indeed its not much but with light weight wheels and thinking of putting the alu wish bones and S3 hubs it all adds up.

Or should I just save the money and go for solid as there is about £100-200 difference.

Thanks for all comments anything else I should look at?

Absolutely, I hear where you're coming from and I've saved around 12Kg of unsprung weight with lighter alloys :)

Just meant that if you're looking at two bars I wouldn't worry too much about it. I went for Autotech as I'd heard good things and it was a bonus that it was lighter. It was also available at a good price, which was ultimately what swung it.

I had the eibachs on my octavia. Found they werent stiff enough and was looking at replacing the rear bar with something more substantial. I personally wouldnt use the Autotech ones which from what I have seen on the GTI forum have been known to crumple and snap.

Theres a group buy on H&R bars on currently which from a couple Golfs and Cupras ive driven work very well. http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/255056-hr-suspension-and-anti-roll-bar-group-buy/

I personally wouldnt use the Autotech ones which from what I have seen on the GTI forum have been known to crumple and snap.

Have you got any links to evidence for that happening?? It's a new one on me that.

I think I'll just go for solid bars. Was hoping eibach would supply their hollow bars as they are alot lighter than the solid bars, but they only run them in batches of 50.

• 2 years later...

don't worry about solid vs hollow - materials and brands with racing experience matters.

Pick a company who has years of motorsport experience - then buy.

Top pick is Eibach Anti-roll kit.

I would say, JUST anti-roll bars won't make too much difference - it's always a whole system what matters.

Polyurethatn bushes (SuperPro, Powerflex), arms, anti-roll kits, coilovers and so on.

It's always about OPTIMAL SYSTEM - not the best part.

don't worry about solid vs hollow - materials and brands with racing experience matters.

Pick a company who has years of motorsport experience - then buy.

Top pick is Eibach Anti-roll kit.

I would say, JUST anti-roll bars won't make too much difference - it's always a whole system what matters.

Polyurethatn bushes (SuperPro, Powerflex), arms, anti-roll kits, coilovers and so on.

It's always about OPTIMAL SYSTEM - not the best part.

Uprated ARB's make a big difference on this platform and specifically the Octy and suit the standard suspension setup well as well as when combined with lowering springs. :)

• Like 1