Today's the day to buy a new car!

Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone would help me out, with how I should negotiate? I have a SEAT Ibiza 2001 for trade in and any cash for this would be good, as I just want it off my hands!

Am looking to get a 1.6 TDI SE 5 door and can see the target price on WhatCar says £11,531, but with the current VAT free offer, this comes in way below the Target Price.

I guess I am just looking to see what % I could knock off the offered price, or should I aim for a straight £500, £200 or whatever?

Any help gratefully received!

Thanks

Dealer won't offer any additional discount over the VAT deal can guarantee it but will tend to provide a set of mats or something of that ilk. My dealer explained to me that they actually make a loss on each VAT free car they sell but are given a bung by Skoda to weigh it up once delivered to end up with only a reasonable profit.

Hi, i certainly don't have as much experience as many on this forum but I did manage to get a further discount over and above the VAT offer. Only a couple of percent, but enough to make me feel good about it :-) That was on a new Superb.

I went with the view that the VAT Deal is a Skoda offering, what could the dealership do themselves? I put it to them that I am a high mileage customer and bring the car in for a service every 10K so there would be ample opportunity to make up the discount over time. Also I was coming from a position where I'd committed to buy from the sales guy already - so I think we reached what was an amicable compromise. But then who knows. It was important to me not to be seen as unrealistic and I wanted to keep a good relationship with the dealership in case of any problems. Good luck!

UK dealers can't be any different to Aussie ones... Take plenty of his/her time, get the lowdown on the car, take half an hour, then (assuming you like what you're testing) let yourself "waver" or tell them you have to "try a few other cars". He/she will be keen to make the sale after "wasting" so much time on you, and will probably toss something at you to get you to sign up. Assuming you guys get it there, don't buy "paint protection", even at half-price.

+1

Dealer didn't know what to do when i walked out after three hours of discussions as they couldn't/wouldn't meet my aspirations. Had a phone call within an hour and deal was done on my terms. Don't forget, the customer is right, it is your money and you can go elsewhere, you have only gone to that garage as it is convenient to you today.

As to free servicing, that always seems to get thrown in if you take Skoda/VAG finance. On our second car didn't even ask for it, it just came as part of the package so not always a deal clincher. Having said that, when weighing up any credit costs, it is worth bearing in mind that your first three services will probably be in the region of £ 3 to 400 all told (on a vRS) and could be more on a diesel.

Got my fabia Greenline arriving December hopefully. Played 3 skoda dealerships of each other. Best I could get over the VAT deal was free electric rear windows, free mats (always to be expected) and a full tank of deisel upon collection. Not astounding, but enough to make me feel I got something.

Got my fabia Greenline arriving December hopefully. Played 3 skoda dealerships of each other. Best I could get over the VAT deal was free electric rear windows, free mats (always to be expected) and a full tank of deisel upon collection. Not astounding, but enough to make me feel I got something.

Oh, and i forgot to mention the one garage gave me a much better part exchange on my scenic than the others, and agreed to hold the exchange price until delivery.

You can always get a deal over and above an advertised price, negociate and talk to several dealers. Bought a Greenline estate new at start of Sept for 11375 OTR, negociated to include mats and boot liner. Bit more hagling and got Skoda extended warranty to 5 years by splitting cost with dealer £150 each. Best advice I can give is to ask what cars they have pre-ordered (all dealers do it) and agree to buy one of those, that way you get the best price, early delivery, and its low risk to the dealer and yourself.