New Camera - My First DSLR :)

robertwaite

After seeing the quality of the pics from the Waterloo graffiti tunnel meet I decided to invest in a decent camera.

I have just bought a Nikon D3100 with the 2 lenses 18-55 and 50-200, plus a free set of binoculars.

Looking forward to taking some decent pics as the film I had developed from the Waterloo meet shows my 'film' skills are very poor...

Expect me to drift in and out of here asking annoying questions :)

• 2 weeks later...

Make sure you don't just stick it on "auto". Understand the relationship between the holy trinity of ISO/Shutter Speed/Aperture, and how each can/will affect your images.

Photography magazines can provide inspiration too, as can they show you new techniques.

I second learning the relationship between aperture, shutter speed, and iso.

As someone said owning a dslr is like owning a modded car lol.

I'm always picking up new lenses, my favourite is my 50mm F1.8 prime lense, fantastic lense for around 100quid.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

D3100 is a nice wee camera.

I'm not entirely convinced that the D3200 is a significant upgrade. The boost in resolution isnt necessarily going to give better performance compared with a £100 upgrade on glass. An extra £100 is better spent on a better lens than chasing an increased resolution imho.

Good luck. Books are great but the only way you'll really get into it is to practice. I did an evening class through a local college a few years ago and enjoyed it (more to learn composition techniques than technical information) but its well worth considering if your local college offers anything.