Location of condensation water drain and cabin air intake

I have a 2008 Octavia. It mists up dramatically when driving in rain and the heating is on.

• Maybe rain is gaining access to the air intake.
  • Maybe the air conditioning condenses most of the water vapour out and/or
  • The water vapourizes quickly only at warmer temperatures.

The pollen filter, which is accessed via the passenger footwell, is dry.

• Where is the cabin air intake?
  • Can the Octavia be programmed to use A/C and heat at the same time?

I want to check for blockage in the air conditioning drain but I cannot find the drain. The workshop manual (http://skoda.worksho...dex.php?id=3340) shows it in the passenger footwell but there is no corresponding hole or pipe in mine.

• Where is the condensation water drain?

Related info:

I have checked under the scuttle panel for blockages (using a hose) and found none.

The sound insulation in the bottom half of passenger footwell is soaked. The seal between the top of the windscreen and the roof was leaking and has been sealed. This might account for the wetness in the footwell.

If you have climate control and its set to Auto, then as long as the ambient temperature is above 4c then the aircon will run along with heat to in effect give you moisture free heated air. If you have the car set to "Econ" or the ambient temperature is below 4c then the aircon compressor is disabled to prevent the compressor freezing up.

If your passenger sound insulation is soaked, it suggests that the pollen filter is not installed properly. its located in the passenger side of the cabin (RHD).

Not a silly question I assure you!

Have you got your recirculating button pressed on? I've seen quite a few incidents of car interiors misting up because of this.

Sometimes, you can't see the wood for the trees ;-)

Good luck.

If you have climate control and its set to Auto, then as long as the ambient temperature is above 4c then the aircon will run along with heat to in effect give you moisture free heated air. If you have the car set to "Econ" or the ambient temperature is below 4c then the aircon compressor is disabled to prevent the compressor freezing up.

If your passenger sound insulation is soaked, it suggests that the pollen filter is not installed properly. its located in the passenger side of the cabin (RHD).

Thanks for your speedy reply.

When the Defog button is pressed the Auto button light goes out. Am I correct in assuming that the A/C stays on in Defog mode?

I'm pretty sure the pollen filter is installed correctly; it pushed up all the way and the lid slid sideways to lock it in. The filter casing is not waterproof and the filter is dry. So I don't think this is the source of the leak.

Not a silly question I assure you!

Have you got your recirculating button pressed on? I've seen quite a few incidents of car interiors misting up because of this.

Sometimes, you can't see the wood for the trees ;-)

Good luck.

Thanks for your reply. No that is not the issue :blush:

Have you checked all the drains around the scuttle panel are free from leaves, debris and dirt its amazing how much gets trapped in there, once a year (infact i dont mine last month) i clean it out gets pretty messy, also worth looking at the Plenum chamber under the scuttle panel.

Edited by Grizzle

Have you checked all the drains around the scuttle panel are free from leaves, debris and dirt its amazing how much gets trapped in there, once a year (infact i dont mine last month) i clean it out gets pretty messy, also worth looking at the Plenum chamber under the scuttle panel.

Thanks for your reply. I removed the wipers and scuttle panel and found no water or debris under it. I ran a hose at full tilt all across the space and the water drained immediately out the back of the wheel arches on both sides.

Thanks for your reply. I removed the wipers and scuttle panel and found no water or debris under it. I ran a hose at full tilt all across the space and the water drained immediately out the back of the wheel arches on both sides.

Hmm.... gotta be your AC then mate or a possible door seal?

• 3 years later...

Yesterday, around midnight I was driving from Manchester to Liverpool airport and back and on my return journey the car had all windows misted - 3 adults and dog in the boot. Blower on maximum and set to blow on the windscreen but it hardly helped. Obviously it will be increasing problem when winter comes so need to sort it out. Is there any know problem causing this? I'm going to check pollen filter, reset the flaps and check drain holes under the wipers but if it won't help, what's next?

Car is estate prefl.

cheers

cheers for the reply Mike

I found it it's the V71 flap stuck in recirculating position and not allowing fresh air in. Looking at option either to replace in or lock it somehow in "air in" position but don't know how to do that exactly...

Yeah I found that guide too. Trouble is that I'm not sure which of the flap/motor it is, it's either 1K0907511D or 1K2907511D. I'd like to order it before I start taking dash apart. As the new part is a bit expensive I would get used one. Or the less expensive way just lock it in air in position but don't know how to do that. Any idea?

cheers

Yep I think you're right! Have just read through the guide on VW forum and the guy says the the motor operates 2 flaps, one via rod and second is direct fit. All other flaps are working so it has to be the flap itself, so 1K0... it is.

Screw it, not gonna pay so much for some plastic thingy, will have to figure out how to open it and lock it there.