Where to find the source of an annoying rattle / squeaking sound on the front passenger side of the car?

Hi,

My car is a Mk2 06 VRS Octavia.

I have a rattle / squeaky noise coming from I believe the passenger side front corner of the car.

This noise only appears to happen when driving.

When the car is stationary with all the fans on low or high this annoying noise can’t be heard.

I have emptied the Glove Box to find the noise isn’t being caused by any of the items I had in the Glove Box or front passenger door pocket.

We thought we had found the source of the noise being the rubber ‘gasket’ in the passenger door for the door air vent.

The removal of this noise appeared to be temporarily resolved by wiping the rubber ‘gasket’ and the surface it touches at the side of the dash board with some polish.

Alas this polish didn’t last very long if at all!

Is it likely that this noise is also coming from the fan in my car fan located under the Glove Box?

See Post: squeaking in passenger Footwell when Heater on

I should be able to confirm this or otherwise by simply switching the fan off and on.

BUT…

Why is it that I only hear this noise when driving along the road and not when the car is stationary?

Has anybody else suffered from this annoying noise?

Were you able to find the source of this noise to rectify the problem?

Could this noise be external making it sound like its source inside the car?

I will give switching the fan on and off a try and post my findings ASAP…

In the meantime I will look forward to any comments on how and where I may find the source of this annoying noise and get it removed.

Kind Regards,

Skoda Dan

It's probably one of the screws to the left of the glovebox under the panel at the end if the dash (visible with door open). It's the equivalent panel to the fuse cover but on the other side.

Lots of threads on here about it coming and going. Some have resolved it by removing one screw, others with Velcro, a recent one with fibre washers under each screw.

It's probably one of the screws to the left of the glovebox under the panel at the end if the dash (visible with door open). It's the equivalent panel to the fuse cover but on the other side.

Lots of threads on here about it coming and going. Some have resolved it by removing one screw, others with Velcro, a recent one with fibre washers under each screw.

This above is how i fixed mine but i also applied silicone spray tot he rubber vent seal thingy where it contacts the door. Problem has never returned. All rattles and sqeaks can be fixed usually with tightening all screws / fixings in the affected area and spraying silicone spray liberally to all joints / junctions between surfaces.

I am like a man possessed when i heara rattle or squeak. I cant relax untill i have trcaed it and cured it. Some cars are better than other thow but i have to say my VRS so far as been very solid and rattle free. long may it continue.

Gents,

The story so far…

I have been able to open the passenger door just enough to take the side panel at the end of the dash board.

All the screws I found appeared to be tight.

I will need a Torx Driver to check them properly.

I think that I have some Silicon spray at home in the garage.

I initially got this to periodically spray the rubber seals on the windows so that they don’t get too hard.

Although the mechanism for the glove box appears to be sound and not rattling when stationary this could be a whole different matter when experiencing the vibration from driving.

I found 2 plastic hand tightened screws holding a foam panel covering what I think to be where the Fan is located.

I didn’t have enough room to limbo in or have a torch!

However there was some small leaves fall on the mat.

Although unlikely there could have been a small stone that was on the foam bouncing up and hitting the plastic of the fan?

I will let you know how I get on over the weekend.

Kind Regards,

Skoda Dan

• Like 1

My 3T Superb is a similar configuration to the Octavia and I have also suffered a few annoying rattles in that area.

I systematically removed parts of the dash until I found the ******(s). It was eventually traced down to the flat plastic end panel that you only see with the passenger door open. With it removed, the noise went away.

Also, the little paddle switch that controls the glovebox light was also rubbing against the piece of plastic on the glovebox that activate/deactivates the light. I stuck a glove finger between the two to test the theory. The result? silence :sun:

There is also a little bit of a creak from the plastic frame of the 'string vest' map holder pocket on the side of the transmission tunnel but I can't remember if the 1Z has one of those.

I have similar - try taking sunglasses out of holder (is it fitted on the Blackline) above rear view mirror. I thought rattle was on passenger side Mrs thought drivers side so looking up in the middle led us to the sunglasses holder. Although lined on bottom surface it seems to depend on how you place the glasses in the holder whether they rattle or not.

Worth a check even if not the source.

I had a small rattle from the near side when driving. I finally managed to narrow it down to the small gap between the end of the dash and the A pillar. Sprayed a little wd40 down the recess and touch wood it's stopped

Although the mechanism for the glove box appears to be sound and not rattling when stationary this could be a whole different matter when experiencing the vibration from driving.

I found 2 plastic hand tightened screws holding a foam panel covering what I think to be where the Fan is located.

This foam cover needs to be removed to gain access to the cabin / pollen filter and to the fan / recirculated air mechanism.

Doubts that a stone would get in there and cause any problems for long.

I still think your best bet might be to make some washers out of cardboard (cornflake packet) put them between the plastic / metal or plastic / plastic where each screw is located.

If that helps / works then look for something more robust.

HTH.

I find I have to tighten the torx screws all along the left hand side of the dash (ie around the glovebox and down the LH side you can only get to with the door open) every 8 months or so. This temporarily cures an annoying squeak. The screws always feel reasonably tight but putting an extra 1/4 - 1/2 turn in them is enough to stop the squeak.

i had exactly the same problem in my car.

like you have already done i removed the end panel on the dashboard and checked the torque screws you can get access to.

i eventually found the noise to be the plastic heater pipe/duct thing rubbing against the plastic next to it.

the way to resolve it was to loosen all the torque screws around it, push the heater pipe/duct away from the plastic and then wedge some paper in between them. then i re-tightened the screws and re-fitted the end panel.

i've had no rattles or squeeks since i did it 6 months ago! :happy: