Hot Air - how long does it take yours?

Can we conclude from all this then that pottering around town in the ruin of a diesel engine as it's not getting to working temperature?

More or less yes.

That's why our next car is likely to be something with a petrol engine and a DSG gearbox.

Phil

I've lost faith in the VRS tbh.

So many mechanical failures over my short 6 months ownership. I was going to see how things went over the winter and then finally decide... it's not going well with this issue, which to me is quite a serious one

It's not just the VRS though which has its share of mechanical foibles. It seems a similar story for most diesels, especially performance diesels, and then especially VAG cars.

My personal predicament isn't helped by a short commute. I find I'm driving 'in the wrong gear' to keep rpm (temp) high

I've lost faith in the VRS tbh.

So many mechanical failures over my short 6 months ownership. I was going to see how things went over the winter and then finally decide... it's not going well with this issue, which to me is quite a serious one

It's not just the VRS though which has its share of mechanical foibles. It seems a similar story for most diesels, especially performance diesels, and then especially VAG cars.

My personal predicament isn't helped by a short commute. I find I'm driving 'in the wrong gear' to keep rpm (temp) high

Don't lose faith just fix it !!

As MattH pointed out there are a few covers for the grille available but the all cost a fair few quid.

My last 3 cars were diesel and they all suffered from the cold. My daily journey is not as short as yours (Mines 11 miles) but my cars did not get to temp until I got to work.

So I came up with this idea

P1000631.jpg

Easy and cheap to do. I just used some plastic corrugated card, the type used on estate agent for sales signs (which is where I got mine from)

Just two bits, one for the top grill and one for the bottom, easily cut with a Stanley knife. Spray with some black paint to tidy it up.

Did this on the last three cars and it made a world of difference, never been a problem with it overheating, melting or catching fire before anyone asks.

Happy warmer motoring

Karl :thumbup:

PS just remember to remove in the warmer months !!

• Like 2

Mines really annoying me lol! Start work, car is frozen, finish work and car is frozen!

Not just frozen on the outside either! This is what my car looked like after about 5 mins of leaving it idle afterwork!

97ABE813-4FEE-4B72-9867-95F360FDA85F-2478-000001EAC6F2937B.jpg

Driving me mental all the moisture inside! I see older cars which are all moisture free.

I've sealed the rear doors but there must be some underlying moisture under the rear carpets so I'm going to get it in the barn on Thursday night with a dehumidifier in it :)

Edited by DanHam

Brilliant, thanks! Looks just the job :happy:

I'll get onto it asap

Thanks again

No problem, forgot to add if you look at the bottom cover it is not full width - just to let some air into the engine bay.

Mines really annoying me lol! Start work, car is frozen, finish work and car is frozen!

Not just frozen on the outside either! This is what my car looked like after about 5 mins of leaving it idle afterwork!

Driving me mental all the moisture inside! I see older cars which are all moisture free.

I've sealed the rear doors but there must be some underlying moisture under the rear carpets so I'm going to get it in the barn on Thursday night with a dehumidifier in it :)

If you have sealed the rear doors then you must have had a problem with leaks, unfortunately the carpet will feel dry after a few days but the moisture will stay there for months !!

Try these http://www.ebay.co.u...984.m1497.l2649 not cheap but good.

I put one under each front seat and I had to dry them out 3 times in the first week !!

Still keep them in the car even now, to help out in the winter months

• Like 1

If you have sealed the rear doors then you must have had a problem with leaks, unfortunately the carpet will feel dry after a few days but the moisture will stay there for months !!

Try these http://www.ebay.co.u...984.m1497.l2649 not cheap but good.

I put one under each front seat and I had to dry them out 3 times in the first week !!

Still keep them in the car even now, to help out in the winter months

Sod it, I'm going to order one to try it or maybe even 2! Anything is worth a try :)

Same here it's a tad embarrassing really how bad the windows get inside, like you mentioned Dan older cars don't suffer as bad as mine.

Doors are sealed up all fine, it's the water running down the boot rubber and sitting onto of it.

Sorry for going slightly off topic.

Changed the stat today actually, so its much much better now than it was previously! lol

Have you had your windscreen replace recently? My brother has just has his done on his A3, it was fine before, but water literally drips off the screen now!

Right I've ordered 2 of those that Karl kindly linked. £17 is a small price to pay for hours of time wasted imo! They last 3-4 years anyhow therefore should be worth their money if they work!

Only issue is that they are in high demand it would seem and wont be with me till 20th - 22nd December. Ahh well just over a week of condensation to go!

Be sure to report back on how good they are.

Sure will mate, going to try and get the dehumidifier in there one night aswell this week, should give it all a kick start. Can't wait for the summer again lol

Right I've ordered 2 of those that Karl kindly linked. £17 is a small price to pay for hours of time wasted imo! They last 3-4 years anyhow therefore should be worth their money if they work!

Only issue is that they are in high demand it would seem and wont be with me till 20th - 22nd December. Ahh well just over a week of condensation to go!

You won't regret it.

Just to illustrate the difference blocking the grill makes

Without the plastic card card fitted

Witout2.jpgWithout1.jpg

With the plastic card in place

With1.jpgwith2.jpg

Both sets of photos taken on the same route at the same time in the morning, the only difference was that the outside temp was 0.5 degrees warmer, but the difference of the coolant temp was 12 degrees.

What it does not show you however is the difference to the journey - the interior of the car warmed up far quicker.

Also it show how inaccurate the temp gauge on the car is as it show about 90 degrees in both pictures

Yes Dan.There are two, marked them up in red, the top one was sprayed black, but never got round to painting the bottom one. Does not normally stand out so much but I think the flash on the camera makes it more noticeable.

RedMarkup.jpg

Karl

Wow! 843,000 rpm! Impressive! ;)

Think Torque's got that a bit wrong!

I thought that at first, then I realised that the x1000 rpm was for the analog (needle part of the gauge) not the digital bit.

Newer layout solves this.

Those that are getting bad fogging in the car. Try using the A/C as much as you can even when it's cold.

It won't kick in with outside temps of 6c or lower but above that it will help to take some moisture out.

Ours never used to steam up at all inside (climate control). Now that the A/C compressor has gone we are getting the windows steaming up and really need to ramp the fans up manually to clear them.

I often take the longer route somewhere now that it's getting cold just to let the engine warm up and get some heat in the car and clear some of the moisture. A quick blast onto the dual carriageway usually gets it nice and hot.

Phil

There is a coolant flange you can fit that has 3 glow plugs in it.

Think it is a straight swap with the original plastic one and from a golf I think.

The last option is an auxiliary coolant heater (either electric or diesel fired).

Phil

I looked at those for an Ibiza and thought the space was a bit tight the ones fitted to the older golf's were fired by the ecu @ approx -5C which I thought was a little late in the day--ended up fitting a citroen one cost £5 from the scrappers-- -4 plug switched in pairs manually- rarely use all four but get warm air within 2 miles

Yes Dan.There are two, marked them up in red, the top one was sprayed black, but never got round to painting the bottom one. Does not normally stand out so much but I think the flash on the camera makes it more noticeable.

RedMarkup.jpg

Karl

Your car looks so awesome Karl! Where can I get those covers or are they custom ones?

Thanks for the help :)

Ah, that would make sense.

I'll go back to my corner now! :blush:

As I said I made the same mistake, the Torque app is very good but I hope the developer will spend some more time on the design of the dials, for example hate the fact that the time display has the word "Clock" above it !!!!

Karl - the 'card screen' does not sit flush up to the rad, rather away a little, more behind the grill, is this correct?

Yeah that right, you don't really want it touching the grill.

Your car looks so awesome Karl! Where can I get those covers or are they custom ones?

Thanks for the help :)

Thanks for the comment but covers Dan ? could you elaborate ?

Karl