Main beam not working......

Pete.

Just after some info/suggestions into why my main beam isn't working,

Originally they worked fine, them I installed some 6k hids to the halogen headlamps, all was well for a while but them one main beam went and the indication on the dash doesn't display when the main beams are operated???? So I decided to replace the h3 bulbs, after replacement only one still worked and no dash display? Checked fuses and there all fine too,, anyone got any ideas or had this problem? Thanks

I believe the OP is referring to the standard H3 bulb, not HID's in which case the ballasts are not the issue.

Could be dodgy wiring I guess, you need to get a voltmeter and check that 12V is getting to the connector when the main beam is activated.

Looks like faulty HID Ballast. Try interchanging the Ballasts and see if the main Beam lights up at the faulty end.

Come on wake up,Read the post that have been put on before you, the guy is talking about his main original beam not the fitted HIDs,

Radiotwo

Just after some info/suggestions into why my main beam isn't working,

Originally they worked fine, them I installed some 6k hids to the halogen headlamps, all was well for a while but them one main beam went and the indication on the dash doesn't display when the main beams are operated???? So I decided to replace the h3 bulbs, after replacement only one still worked and no dash display? Checked fuses and there all fine too,, anyone got any ideas or had this problem? Thanks

Pete

I suppose there could be a few reasons, but first you need to say what model and year that will help, but how did you fit the hids (some pictures would help) ? a few suggestions,recheck the fuses, and I think they are triggered with a relay identify and check this, and also check that the high beam warning light is ok, then its a matter of checking all the wiring

Radiotwo

Sounds like the stalk switch has had it. IIRC, the feed for the cluster light is fed by the RH switch so I guess you have lost the RH dipped.

Make sure that the ballasts have a good earth. If they have a metal back and are designed to be bolted to metal chassis (or bracket to chassis) then you must do so. If you don't, the stalk switch can arc when you switch between dipped and main beam.

Thanks for the help guys. Yes sorry it's a 04 mk1 fabia vrs, and I think I've lost N/S beam not o/s, and my control boxes arnt bolted in there tucked away if this helps. Sounds like I may try stalk then

Thanks guys

Thanks for the help guys. Yes sorry it's a 04 mk1 fabia vrs, and I think I've lost N/S beam not o/s, and my control boxes arnt bolted in there tucked away if this helps. Sounds like I may try stalk then

Thanks guys

Are you sure fuse 30 is good?

Thanks guys

Well I checked all fuses on Saturday with a power probe, and all were ok

Hi again

First you did not attach photo's of the install, but as I said (if I have read it correctly) your low beam Hids are ok ! then the ballasts don't need earthing , but wondered if you had shorted something when you installed them !

I also don't think it is the stalk as both lamps would be out ! I am not sure if there is two relays (one for each side) but you need to check !

Radiotwo

Ps just done some research

Fuse 30 protects n/s and and indicator (blue light on dash) so recheck that fuse !

Edited by RADIOTWO

...your low beam Hids are ok ! then the ballasts don't need earthing...

They will work fine, but the filter circuitry in the ballasts often doesn't work, injecting HF into the wiring. Depending on the model, this can lead to failed windscreen wiper motors and light switches. Ballast designs do vary and often the kits include brackets but don't say how essential it is to use them.

Ps just done some research

Fuse 30 protects n/s and and indicator (blue light on dash) so recheck that fuse !

Yes, sounds like I definitely need to recheck that fuse, is there anymore fuses other than on the o/s at the end of the dash?

Thanks again

They will work fine, but the filter circuitry in the ballasts often doesn't work, injecting HF into the wiring. Depending on the model, this can lead to failed windscreen wiper motors and light switches. Ballast designs do vary and often the kits include brackets but don't say how essential it is to use them.

If they needed earthing they would put a earth tab to connect to.

so if they inject HF what frequency would that be ? and that is a load of rubbish that ie lead to failed windscreen wiper motors and light switches, I transmit HF on a daily basis and have done so for 30 years and never had a motor or switch failure.

So I don't know where you get this rubbish from ?

Radiotwo

Yes, sounds like I definitely need to recheck that fuse, is there anymore fuses other than on the o/s at the end of the dash?

Thanks again

It should be the one at the drivers side, but I think the fuse allocation is the wrong way round, Look at the fuses and I think it is the bottom row

far right !

Now I don't want to tell you how to suck eggs etc, but how are you testing the fuse ?

Ps it should be a 10 amp fuse

Radiotwo

If they needed earthing they would put a earth tab to connect to.

so if they inject HF what frequency would that be ? and that is a load of rubbish that ie lead to failed windscreen wiper motors and light switches, I transmit HF on a daily basis and have done so for 30 years and never had a motor or switch failure.

So I don't know where you get this rubbish from ?

Radiotwo

They often supply a bracket that they screw onto and that is screwed to the chassis

HF is relative - we're talking about 100s hertz here

Wiper motor failures are very common with aftermarket HIDs - do a search http://search.yahoo....IDs wiper motor

It should be the one at the drivers side, but I think the fuse allocation is the wrong way round, Look at the fuses and I think it is the bottom row

far right !

Now I don't want to tell you how to suck eggs etc, but how are you testing the fuse ?

Ps it should be a 10 amp fuse

Radiotwo

I'm checking visually for a check I'm the wire, and with a power probe on both terminals so to speak of the fuse whilst its inserted

They often supply a bracket that they screw onto and that is screwed to the chassis

HF is relative - we're talking about 100s hertz here

Wiper motor failures are very common with aftermarket HIDs - do a search http://search.yahoo....IDs wiper motor

Sorry mate, but there is no way you can damage a motor with a HID Ballast I think someone started a rumor and it escalated, but if you want to believe it that's fine, but fool you !

Radiotwo