For anyone interested in fitting a rear courtesy light in their Fabia **COMPLETED**

Well after a little messing around I finally worked out how to wire in the rear courtesy light using OEM plugs etc.

First step is to solder in the connections on the front courtesy light - this will provide the power to the rear light.

See picture 1 below - (PLEASE NOTE THAT I USED NORMAL 240V MAINS ELECTRICAL CABLE - NOT A SKODA WIRING LOOM).

• Green/yellow wire = Earth
  • Brown wire = Door switch
  • Blue wire = Permenant live

Rear courtesy light part number: 8P0 947 111

Rear courtesy light multi-plug part number: 6Q0 972 704

I got a 'wiring repair kit' from Skoda which had female ends, I will try and find the part number, but its an easy enough item to get.

The multiplug for the rear light has provision for 4 wires, however only three are used on the light. The position of the wires/colours can be seen in picture 2.

• Position 1 = BLUE
  • Position 2 = GREEN/YELLOW
  • Position 3 = VOID
  • Position 4 = BROWN

The above steps will give you a fully functioning rear courtesy light, the same as what is in some Elegance models.

For anyone that is interested the main OEM Skoda loom wires are (see pic 3 - pic 4 is taken from an Elegance model fitted with the rear courtesy light):

• Red/Black = Earth
  • Brown/Black = Permanent live
  • Brown/Yellow = Door switch

The final section is to cut the roof lining and install the light - I will post more up once I have done this.

Hope this helps people, as many say they want to do this mod.

Steve

• Like 4

With a little bit of free time on my hands this afternoon and a cosy centrally heated garage I decided to crack on with retro fitting the 'elegance rear courtesy light’, and I am really pleased with the results!

I made a template out of cardboard from the back of the light and cut the roof lining - this was a doddle! There is a thick piece of sound deadening above the roof lining which is stuck to the roof – so there is no fear of getting the metalwork!!

I then used a coat hanger to pull the multi-plug/wire through (the wire was wrapped in foam so it won’t vibrate or rattle), connect plug and clip light in place. Simple as that!

I have used a piece of sponge to encourage the roof lining to drop down a little so the light unit sits properly, but other than that it was really easy and straight forward!

Rear light now works by:

• Door function
  • Front interior light control switch
  • Independent rear switch

More people should give it a try!

Steve

:)

• Like 2

Light unit was 99p off eBay - very lucky with that, most are around £15-£20.

Multi-plug and wiring repair kit £5.80 from Skoda.

3 core wire - not sure on cost as I have metres of the stuff on the garage anyway and a few electrical connectors and a bit of soldering.

Personally it's cost me less that £10 to do.

Day shots to come later. I still have to make a metal cage to sit around the light unit in the lining to get it to fit tighter as it doesn't sit as good as it could on the ends of the light.

Steve

None of the Monte's or vRS's came with a rear interior light.

As you can't get it as an option I decided to do it this way!

Steve

Not quite correct...my vRS came with one,I understand it's because I've got a sunroof.

Very pleased to have one,but shame on you ,Skoda for penny pinching.

Not quite correct...my vRS came with one,I understand it's because I've got a sunroof.

Very pleased to have one,but shame on you ,Skoda for penny pinching.

+1 sunroof got me a rear light for free :)

• 1 year later...

Does anyone have the photos from the original post?

Also I'd be interested to know the exact spacing of the elegance light from from the front light... don't want to cut a hole and find an obstruction in the way!

Some posts on other threads suggest that rear electric windows come with the light fitted, though based on the demonstrator I at a local dealer I don't think that is correct for UK (vRS) models.

Many thanks.

I was going to fit an led strip above the backdoors to provide light in the rear. Wiring seems to be different from what has been posted

brown/black earth

red/black permanent live

yellow/brown door switch

I might be being stupid but when I checked with a multimeter the door switch input is at 12v when the door is shut and then drops to 0v when door is open. This means the light works in reverse?