k04,gt28 or 30?

TSI has a much much better fueling system capabale of 150bar rail pressure as apose to the TFSI which struggles to make 130bar and even with uprated fuel pump only manages 135 bar peak.

This is why the 2.0TSI makes much more power at K04 and GTx28 power levels than the TFSI. Not sure about the diverter valve on the TSI? on the K03 TFSI it is attached to the turbo and needs the remote location kit for a turbo upgrade. it might alrwady be remote located on the TSI, im not sure though as ive never seen one in the flesh.

I'm guessing the Golf R in question is 4wd? As I thought that it was available in both 2wd and 4wd, but with 3.3 to 60mph it has to be 4wd and will be total different to drive to a fwd Octavia with the same power.

yep, but bizarrely the scirocco R (same engine) is fwd.

I was told by one in the know that it was a pacakaging issue with the svelte Scirocco body and all the extra kit associated with getting the power to the rear wheels as well.

I was told by one in the know that it was a pacakaging issue with the svelte Scirocco body and all the extra kit associated with getting the power to the rear wheels as well.

Doesnt it use the same Golf chassis then?!

Doesnt it use the same Golf chassis then?!

I didn't say it was right, just what i'd heard :)

Although it did come from the mouth of a VW master tech....

**EDIT**

Much googling later and the Scirocco Central Forum says....

The factory where it is built doesnt build any 4wd cars, it'd have cost a lot to build a special shell for a relatively low volume car.

The Golf was already being built in 4wd form before the R

The only Golf that has the 4wd Haldex system is the Golf R which they want to keep as the flagship model for marketing reasons hence why it also has a few extra bhp quoted over the Rocco R.

Also, I would suggest that so much work has been done to put more power through the front wheels that it's not needed and also the fact it's extra weight.

Add to that, the factory where the Rocco is assembled doesn't do cars with Haldex so they would have had to invest a fair bit of money for low volumes or build a small number of Roccos in the Golf factory, complicating matters even further.

Also, non of the Roccos competitors have AWD.

The Golf R wouldn't have had it if the R32 hadn't previously had it, IMO

Saying that I've owned a R32 for the last 5 years and the AWD the haldex system gives is great even if it's not true 4WD

Ive had a GT28 and the lag was (IMO) awful on a daily basis. If you had a clear stretch of road in front of you then it comes in to its own but for daily driving defo avoid and go for the ko4 every time.

Traction will be your main problem after turbo lag. My car compared to Harry's is like a different world. Harry has a few more BHP then me but when we have been in each others cars on occasions including a track day the difference between having an LSD and not when running higher power is like night and day. I wish I had bitten the bullet and fitted an LSD at the same time as an uprated clutch. It really is one of the must have mods when running any higher power.

After that the fuel system is the next bottle neck and you will need a HPFP (approx £1k) and intercooler (IC). Depending on which map you get and how truthful they are with their figures. Once you go above stage 2 you will get fuel issues on the tfsi engine.

If your thinking of upgarding internals why not consider just fitteing an S3 engine/turbo and parts (IC etc) and spend the potnetial savings on fitting an upgraded clutch and LSD

The new GTx28 turbos have substantially less lag than the GT28 hence why APR have removed the older GT28 from their stage 3 kits and replaced it with the latest Garrett offerings instead. It will still have more lag than a K04 but only marginally now.

I actually found the K03 AND K04 to feel laggy after having the fabia because the 1.4TSI comes on boost so quickly.

• 7 months later...