Octavia 3 UK pricing and Availability

For me, the new vRS would 5% be slower than the Mk2 one on long trips, on account of time spent visiting petrol forecourts more frequently due to smaller fuel tank than Mk2.

For me, the new vRS would 5% be slower than the Mk2 one on long trips, on account of time spent visiting petrol forecourts more frequently due to smaller fuel tank than Mk2.

But if the economy is better that will cancel out the smaller tank size and give a similar range.

• Like 2

People still complaining about the fuel tank.. Sigh. How about seeing the real world figures before worrying about some pseudo-problem? :think:

On a economy run it will consume less naturally as the new model is lighter and will have upgraded aerodynamics.

On a spirited run no-one really cares about the fuel economy anyway.. In my humble opinion, that is.

• Like 2

I can assure you that I could empty Mk3 Octy fuel tank in well under 2hrs just by driving across Germany. Not everyone travels 55mph.

Having to stop every 1hr40mins to refuel when the car is comfortable enough to travel for 3+ hrs before a stop is a downright pain, not to mention waste of time.

Read actual numbers in this thread, especially my latest post here:

http://www.briskoda....30#entry3094156

It is not about fuel economy at 50l fuel tank levels, it is about range on a tank of fuel at high speed. Range has been crippled, and spare wheel taken away. In summary, we just lost another decent cruising car to the gadgets and leather upholstery brigade.

Also, even in more sedate driving, in a lot of cases where a weekly or bi-weekly fuel fill-up was needed, it will be now more often. Makes a diference if you fill up the car for someone else (aka the Mrs).

All because VAG/Skoda pretend they are reducing weight of the car, for same reason the spare is gone (and also to inflate boot capacity number in the brochure). Give me an 80l fuel tank and I'll happily reduce weight whenever I do not need full range by filling up to half tank.

Edited by dieselV6

It's not just Skoda, it's VAG corporate policy it seems. Audi and VW are doing the same nonsense, except Audi already partly learned their lesson with the A6. Current A6 was issued with 65l tank, outgoing had 80l on quattro versions, prospective buyers complained, within 3 months 75l option appeared that was originally intended only for cars with parking heater.

I hope to run my Mk1 Superb for as long as it can, by then either VAG/SUK come back to their senses or I will vote out of VW Group with my wallet.

Well I do the Autobahn and general long distance travelling thing (almost 6,000 miles in five and a half weeks through Europe in the summer) more regularly than most and it wouldnt worry me. The extra efficiency of the engine will make up for the smaller tank to some extent - the new mpg figures will still be derived from the same baseline - admittedly its a laboratory test routine but its still the same one the mk2 figures were gained from so should be directly comparable. After 2.5 hours at the wheel, particulalry at high speed, id argue that its actually a good thing to come in for a fuel stop and break the journey slightly and ultimately, carrying 20l less fuel will improve your mpg further.

Really? 2.5 hours?

I complain about 1hr 45 mins range, not 2.5 hours. 2.5 hours would be fantastic.

1hr 45mins is assuming 130mph cruise (already slower than I do now on account of less power from 2.0CR and at lower efficiency as it is tailing off at these loads/rpms). This is assuming the new fuel tank can be vented to provide at least extra 6l capacity, if it cannot than it is 1hr30 mins.

Carrying 20l less fuel on motorway at high speed will not improve anything other than VAG brochure weight specification, as the work engine does goes mostly on air drag, especially if you travel at night at constant speed for long periods of time.

Like I said earlier, another great cruising car turned into gadget sofa on wheels. I did 80k miles across Europe in Mk1 Octy, and it was OK, Mk2 got even better on account of more powerful diesels (though I got Mk1 Superb at the time), Mk3 Octy looks useless for travel across continent.

Useless?

You don't half talk some crap.

For the rest of us living in the real world we'd get the same tank range as before and it will cost a bit less to fill up. Sounds good to me.

Are you trolling for SUK? Because unlike you (I see that Fiat Bravo in your signature), I actually bought and owned 3 Skodas so far, factory orders, with my own earned money. I also helped numerous people on this forum with advice, and got thanked for it, search recent posts.

Most trips from UK across Europe involve an extended Autobahn stretch in excess of 200-400 miles. Unless you only go to South of France. That's how I racked up 40k miles out of 110k on Autobahn alone in the current car.

You seem to be missing he point that VAG is turning versatile cars into niche cars, Mk1 and Mk2 could do anything you asked them for, Mk3 is a short range car with no spare, just like the Korean/Japanese lot nowadays.

I look forward to your fuel economy figures when you buy that Mk3 Octy. Yeti-Man's assumption that the numbers will be better because fuel economy test has not changed is flawed - more likely the engine software got tweaked to match test conditions better. I have a direct comparison between 1.6CR and 2.5TDI and can tell you 1.6CR is very poor when it comes to fuel economy.

Finally, there really are no packaging issues with fitting 60l or even 70l fuel tank in that chassis, the tank got cut only so that PR machine could claim "weight savings".

If you really want to be subscribe to eco-driving you could simply fill a bigger fuel tank to half capacity and refill when reserve lights up.

Edited by dieselV6

Are you trolling for SUK? Because unlike you (I see that Fiat Bravo in your signature), I actually bought and owned 3 Skodas so far, factory orders, with my own earned money. I also helped numerous people on this forum with advice, and got thanked for it, search recent posts.

Yes, and I've also bought a couple of Octavias from new, did 160k miles in them and have been posting on here for 9 years now.

Last time round I didn't fancy a second Mk2 so I bought something else.

Your point?

Most trips from UK across Europe involve an extended Autobahn stretch in excess of 200-400 miles. Unless you only go to South of France. That's how I racked up 40k miles out of 110k on Autobahn alone in the current car.

You seem to be missing he point that VAG is turning versatile cars into niche cars, Mk1 and Mk2 could do anything you asked them for, Mk3 is a short range car with no spare, just like the Korean/Japanese lot nowadays.

It's not a niche car at all. It will do everything that the vast majority of it's owners will want of it.

The tank being 9% smaller will make virtually no difference to most people.

Calling it a short range car is plainly *******s.

I look forward to your fuel economy figures when you buy that Mk3 Octy. Yeti-Man's assumption that the numbers will be better because fuel economy test has not changed is flawed - more likely the engine software got tweaked to match test conditions better. I have a direct comparison between 1.6CR and 2.5TDI and can tell you 1.6CR is very poor when it comes to fuel economy.

Finally, there really are no packaging issues with fitting 60l or even 70l fuel tank in that chassis, the tank got cut only so that PR machine could claim "weight savings".

If you really want to be subscribe to eco-driving you could simply fill a bigger fuel tank to half capacity and refill when reserve lights up.

Aren't vehicle weights quoted for vehicles with an empty tank anyway?

• Like 3

It's not a niche car at all. It will do everything that the vast majority of it's owners will want of it.

The tank being 9% smaller will make virtually no difference to most people.

Well, it makes to me. Forget high speed range for a moment, if I bought this as the car for the Mrs / backup motorway car, I worked out that I'd have to refuel weekly rather than every 2 weeks. 50l instead of 55l may not be much in absolute terms, but it makes a difference between weekly and bi-weekly fill-up for the most year.

Aren't vehicle weights quoted for vehicles with an empty tank anyway?

If they were, then reducing fuel tank size would border on criminal stupidity. No, cutting tanks and spare wheels is just to soup up fuel economy numbers and VDA boot size.

Weights are quoted at full tank and as such entered into fuel economy calculations in lab testing.

http://en.wikipedia....iki/Curb_weight

Good luck getting better fuel economy... on a roller bench, at 25 deg Celsius (don't remember last time it was 25 degC in the UK, was it in 2011?)

http://en.wikipedia....#Test_procedure

Edited by dieselV6

Well, it makes to me. Forget high speed range for a moment, if I bought this as the car for the Mrs / backup motorway car, I worked out that I'd have to refuel weekly rather than every 2 weeks. 9% may not be much in absolute terms, but it makes a difference between weekly and bi-weekly fill-up for the most year.

Do you only have access to a petrol station that's open on a single day of the week?

Ignoring any difference in economy (and I bet you the Mk3 will do better than the Mk2) if 55 litres does you for 14 days of driving , then 50 litres will last for 13 days.

A 9% smaller tank does not mean you need to fill up twice as often.

• Like 3

Believe it or not, myself and a lot of other people fill up their significant other's cars on a weekend and do not really drive them otherwise. Newer diesels should not be ran dry-ish on account of fuel pump wearing out, so it is sensible to fill up when reserve lights up at the latest.

I am actually optimistically assuming that the new 50l tank can still be ventectomised, and will offer about 56l capacity, if not the numbers get even worse.

Numbers here, quoted for the Roomster for simplicity:

Current tank: 55l stock / 64l vented, about 56l - 58l used over 14 days. You can see a problem developing already here.

New tank: 50l stock/58l vented, enough for just 12-13 days.

If the new tank is not possible to adapt for larger capacity than stock(it is likely), it will last only 11 days

All that assuming 220-250 miles per week in mixed use.

Finally, I (naively) thought that it was the SUK trying to sell me the car that I would want to buy, not me the muppet trying to adapt to SUK cost cutting / fuel economy inflating measures? :)

Edited by dieselV6

Believe it or not, myself and a lot of other people fill up their significant other's cars on a weekend and do not really drive them otherwise.

Believe it or not, a lot of other people have moved on from the 1950s.

If my significant other's car needs some fuel she can go to the petrol station herself and fill up whenever is convenient.

Anyway, we get it.... You don't think the Mk3 Octavia is the car for you, so just don't buy one.

If Skoda have done their research well enough, they will sell lots of them to people who don't find a 5-600+ mile tank range a problem. If not they won't.

• Like 4

Anyway, we get it.... You don't think the Mk3 Octavia is the car for you, so just don't buy one.

If Skoda have done their research well enough, they will sell lots of them to people who don't find a 5-600+ mile tank range a problem. If not they won't.

+1