Technical guides Diesel & Petrol

ColinD

Ok.

So you are complaining about the fuel tank of the Octy III being reduced by 5L to 50L, but at your speeds that equates to a loss of just 25 miles at the 138/125 speeds, or 31 miles at the 125/110 speeds (5L being 1.1 gallons).

Putting that into perspective, at the higher level that's just 12 minutes driving before needing to fill up, at the lower level it's 17 minutes driving, i.e. you would have to fill up 12 minutes or 17 minutes sooner, depending on your average speed of those quoted.

Is it really worth all these posts about the inadequacy of the Octy III fuel tank (along with the other stuff) on the basis of the above?

H

Edited by Herschel
  • Like 3

Herschel, old Octy fuel tank could be made considerably bigger for a diesel, new fuel tank does not look that way. Google ventectomy, see post #101 for diagrams and travel times.

Old Octy fuel tank for a diesel was 55l stock + 9l extra, giving total 64l.

New Octy fuel tank is 50l stock, period. I'd say net difference is actually 14l or 3 gal imp, or 14/64=22% range drop not counting reserve. If you count 8l reserve, it gets worse, old fuel tank was 64-8=56l, new tank is 50-8=42l, range loss is 14/56=25% range drop.

Or in other words, stopping 30min+ earlier at a faster cruise, 45min+ earlier at a slower cruise using 2.5TDI numbers.

My Superb's fuel tank is even bigger, 62l stock/69l vented, but to avoid further doubts I just compared Octy fuel tanks here for you.

Edited by dieselV6

Herschel, old Octy fuel tank could be made considerably bigger for a diesel, new fuel tank does not look that way. Google ventectomy, see post #101 for diagrams and travel times.

Old Octy fuel tank for a diesel was 55l stock + 9l extra, giving total 64l.

New Octy fuel tank is 50l stock, period. I'd say net difference is actually 14l or 3 gal imp, or 14/64=22% range drop not counting reserve. If you count 8l reserve, it gets worse, old fuel tank was 64-8=56l, new tank is 50-8=42l, range loss is 14/56=25% range drop.

Or in other words, stopping 30min+ earlier at a faster cruise, 45min+ earlier at a slower cruise using 2.5TDI numbers.

My Superb's fuel tank is even bigger, 62l stock/69l vented, but to avoid further doubts I just compared Octy fuel tanks here for you.

Simple don't drive at top speed. Drive at 80mph where fuel consumption is a lot better!

• Like 3

...and stop at a hotel for a day, continue driving next night. Why do you think I waste fuel driving at these speeds? 1000m+ trips.

But with the money you save on refuelling costs you can get a nice ibis hotel room.

SUK downgraded Yeti to space saver only.

No they didn't. The Yeti has never been available with a full sized spare. It has always come with a slightly narrower steel wheel and tyre. A full sized 225/55r17 will not properly fit in the well.

Don't have the extra day to spare.

You must have spent thirty eight days researching and posting on this thread!! :giggle:

I didn't mean that in a nasty way, I'm sure you're a nice guy ect, but this all just seems a bit OTT.

• Like 1

Splitting hairs. Even if it should have read "Skoda (all countries) downgraded Yeti to space saver only", it still means looking at SUK Octy 3 brochure a temporary spare only would be expected. There does exists full size spare option for the Octy 3, in fact based on previous cars (Octy 2, Superb 2), I daresay there is a cut and paste error in the description of spare option codes, and one of the full size spare options for Octy 3 is actually an alloy spare.

I seem to recall Australian Yetis carried full sized spare though (there was Carpoint review somewhere), but will recheck option codes for that later.

Edited by dieselV6

You must have spent thirty eight days researching and posting on this thread!! :giggle:

I didn't mean that in a nasty way, I'm sure you're a nice guy ect, but this all just seems a bit OTT.

Quiet time for travel at the moment, plus since 2010, due to VAG policy of putting auto boxes on more powerful engines, cutting down fuel tanks and removing spare wheels (check out Audi range for that), I am running out of replacement car choices for the Mk1 Superb. Mk3 Octy 184bhp vRS or 4x4 looks best so far, despite the fuel tank.

I drove about 160k miles in the usage as described in this thread, plus due to job I flew another 200k miles or so in the last 6 years. After this much travel, you tend to remember and research details that can cause pain on long trips. If I wanted to add an extra day for each car trip abroad in 2010 alone, I'd need an extra month off.

Plus I like to know my cars in more detail before buying them.

Edited by dieselV6

Quiet time for travel at the moment, plus since 2010, due to VAG policy of putting auto boxes on more powerful engines, cutting down fuel tanks and removing spare wheels (check out Audi range for that), I am running out of replacement car choices for the Mk1 Superb. Mk3 Octy 184bhp vRS or 4x4 looks best so far, despite the fuel tank.

I drove about 160k miles in the usage as described in this thread, plus due to job I flew another 200k miles or so in the last 6 years. After this much travel, you tend to remember and research details that can cause pain on long trips. If I wanted to add an extra day for each car trip abroad in 2010 alone, I'd need an extra month off.

Plus I like to know my cars in more detail before buying them.

Just a thought but why not get a current Octy II FL VRS for the bigger fuel tank? the 170bhp CRTDI is not bad in standard form but you have remapped in the past so why not then you have your slightly bigger tank. Never going to be a long distance cruiser like the Superb for comfort and can't see the Octy 3 being any different. Also you can put a full sized spare in Octy II FL VRS! I have just under 11000 miles on mine and 9500 of that was 3 long drives home, 18 or 23 hours each way with eurotunnel and a 90 min ferry (or a 8 hour crossing closer). Given the time I have managed to make it on a single tank with car overloaded with stuff. (took 54 litres at end) Was not specifically economical driving for speed and CC used 90% of time still got 53/54mpg on best run 50.5mpg worst and not exactly run in when it was new 985km on shorter route with a longer ferry 2nd leg, longer quicker route 1148km requires a pit stop. That's a drive across 7 countries on a oner. Work wise I cover hundreds of thousands of km's a year, mine is a waste at moment but will be changing jobs and will need it properly this year. I take it your car is a company car so to speak? There is no way on earth I would allow my employer to require me to do that to my car even at 40p a mile would not be much consolation for ware and tear/ mileage related depreciation. I would prefer to fly / hire car, and I hate airports! I am lucky as driving for a living my employer cannot make me drive for such long periods by law even in a car!

I am not looking currently to buy as Mk1 Superb has at least 40k miles left in it on high speed runs (if not another 110k). I look to buy in 2-4 years (or another 6 if I have to wait for any useful car to appear). Octy 2 will be gone then. I prefer to drive at night because of little traffic, daytime driving is very tiring in most of Europe.

But yes, if I was to buy today, Mk2 Octy VRS would be a choice as it is most comfortable car to sit in for me, has range and almost the speed, and comfortable enough, though at a push.

Mk2 Superb was discussed earlier, did not mention Mk2 Octy as it will be gone by the time I want to buy. Octy 3 looks to be faster though and road manners will likely improve over Mk2 with increased wheelbase. Don't really want to remap anymore (read earlier posts), much rather would get stock enough power (184bhp) and zero hassle re insurance, gasket down the line etc.

Re comfort, let's see the cabin first. Superb Mk2 was supposed to be plush, but they shaped console in a way that tall drivers suffer. Octy Mk2 had far better driving position for 6ft5 drivers, let's see what Octy 3 brings. Fuel tank I can deal with if everything else works.

Flying gets old quickly if you do it twice a week. Though lately I have not been travelling abroad that much. This might change soon.

Edited by dieselV6

I am not looking currently to buy as Mk1 Superb has at least 40k miles left in it on high speed runs (if not another 110k). I look to buy in 2-4 years (or another 6 if I have to wait for any useful car to appear). Octy 2 will be gone then. I prefer to drive at night because of little traffic, daytime driving is very tiring in most of Europe.

But yes, if I was to buy today, Mk2 Octy VRS would be a choice as it is most comfortable car to sit in for me, has range and almost the speed, and comfortable enough, though at a push.

Mk2 Superb was discussed earlier, did not mention Mk2 Octy as it will be gone by the time I want to buy. Octy 3 looks to be faster though and road manners will likely improve over Mk2 with increased wheelbase. Don't really want to remap anymore (read earlier posts), much rather would get stock enough power (184bhp) and zero hassle re insurance, gasket down the line etc.

Re comfort, let's see the cabin first. Superb Mk2 was supposed to be plush, but they shaped console in a way that tall drivers suffer. Octy Mk2 had far better driving position for 6ft5 drivers, let's see what Octy 3 brings. Fuel tank I can deal with if everything else works.

Flying gets old quickly if you do it twice a week. Though lately I have not been travelling abroad that much. This might change soon.

Yea long gone by then, I detest flying just for the airport security and check in systems business class does help a lot with walking past the masses and into your own lounge but ........ "take your shoes off and spread um" not if I can avoid it lol. I was hoping the Kia Optima would have had a bigger diesel option with a bit more grunt as overall for long distance stuff it could have been ideal for value etc. Making the Octy 3 bigger and loosing weight at same time makes me worried about the bigger motorway speed road noise fingers crossed not though. I do like the overall shape of new Octy and interior, some dislike it but I think its a good improvement, really like the interior. Octy 2 for comfort I dislike I am only 6ft 1 but the driving position is useless as pedals are offset on RHD models and makes seat bolster dig into leg after a long drive its sore for 2 days. LHD one no dramas what so ever. I might get the VRS one on release in summer if I can talk myself into it (shouldn't be hard) but I really shouldn't lol.

138mph cruise / 125mph average gave me about 12l/100km, or 23mpg. Mk1 Superb, 2.5TDI.

...and stop at a hotel for a day, continue driving next night. Why do you think I waste fuel driving at these speeds? 1000m+ trips.

Going by the your average MPG of 23 in the Superb, you are going thru ~200litres of diesel, slow down to 80mph and you will use ~115litres (going by book figures of 38.9MPG combined, data taken from autotrader)

• Like 1

Making the Octy 3 bigger and loosing weight at same time makes me worried about the bigger motorway speed road noise fingers crossed not though. I do like the overall shape of new Octy and interior, some dislike it but I think its a good improvement, really like the interior.

+1, though some weight reduction may be due to underbody better covered with plastic panels and fewer blankets in the cabin instead, as is trend with lesser Skoda offerings nowadays. Roomster is not bad for noise at top speed, actually tyre noise at 40mph is the downside. We'll see.

LHD this time could be less comfy for driver than RHD, on account of missing accelerator side footrest. ETKA still lists 2 footrests for RHD.

Going by the your average MPG of 23 in the Superb, you are going thru ~200litres of diesel, slow down to 80mph and you will use ~115litres (going by book figures of 38.9MPG combined)

The point being? I can afford fuel even at 150mph if the car could do it, it's the extra day/night lost I cannot afford. See post #135

Edited by dieselV6

I seem to recall Australian Yetis carried full sized spare though (there was Carpoint review somewhere), but will recheck option codes for that later.

Not according to the Yeti forum members from Australia!

And a sensible question; what do you do for a living?

Carpoint review that I thought did list full size spare in AU is here http://www.carpoint....road-test-28587

Yeti's AU brochure lists 16in wheels and 16in steel spare, does not list tyre size for the spare. ETKA does not state much in options list. Anyway, beside the point.

Re what I do, see here http://www.briskoda....t/#entry3072628

Edited by dieselV6

The steel spare wheel is NOT the same size as the fitted alloy wheels, nor is the tyre the same size, and on the higher powered Yeti 17" wheels are fitted, whereas the spare is a 16" steel wheel. This has been confirmed several times by Antipodean Yeti forum members.

IT bod! Explains lots!!

Of course, for example this, this and this. Or did you have anything else in mind?

Re spare, whatever Yeti had worldwide is irrelevant as SUK stated temporary spare only for Octy 3 which clearly is not the only option, 2 full size options there.

Whether Skoda officially list a full-size spare option or not doesn't matter. Wheel wells always fit the tyres that go on the car and individual wheels and tyres can always be purchased.

That's what we do here. If a car doesn't have a real spare, then you either get a steel full-size wheel from the wreckers and fit the same size tyre or if you're feeling flush, buy a new alloy wheel and tyre from the dealer.

IT does explain a lot. Except why anyone would pay for an IT tech to travel so much. I was hoping for drug-runner. But you couldn't admit to that on a public forum.

Road noise and highway manners never go downhill in a newer model.

• Like 1

Wheel wells always fit the tyres that go on the car and individual wheels and tyres can always be purchased.

That's what we do here. If a car doesn't have a real spare, then you either get a steel full-size wheel from the wreckers and fit the same size tyre or if you're feeling flush,

Spare in the boot means no flat floor space and as I already told you in post #107 p.4, it makes packing stuff difificult. It does matter if full sized spare is listed because for quite a few cars raised boot floor is required then. Refer to what's left of Audi full size spare wheel capable cars. Listed full size spare option means either the well is deep enough or raised floor setup exists. The spare wheel wells are not always deep enough anymore.

IT does explain a lot. Except why anyone would pay for an IT tech to travel so much. I was hoping for drug-runner. But you couldn't admit to that on a public forum.

Do I detect envy here? Since you seem to have such disregard for IT, what is your profession? IT currently means 2/3rds of electronics and a whole lot of engineering, in my case mobile comms equipment. It pays enough, though activities are located all over Europe and travel can be a bit much at times.

Road noise and highway manners never go downhill in a newer model.

Road noise and highway manners went downhill from Mk1 Superb to Mk2 Superb, on account of switching the platform. I did test drive Mk2, in case you wonder.

Once again, another whitewash post from you designed to deny every point I make. And again based on fiction, not facts. I'd appreciate if you could make a positive technical contribution instead, and focused on Octavia 3 features instead on myself.

Edited by dieselV6

And as I already replied to your not-flat boot floor assumption. It's rubbish. The wheel-well in my scout is 230mm deep. The floor in it's lowest position is not hindered by a 225/50R17 underneath.

Octavia and A4 spare-wheel wheels are not comparable.

My profession? Mechanical Engineer.

I.T. is not and will never be engineering. It's a technicians role that exists in a realm unhindered by the laws of physics. There is no envy and never will be. I get more than enough coding, computer and electronic/electrical work through automation. Which is engineering.

My (and I suspect Graham's too) comments are about you fitting almost perfectly within the stereotype of males who work in IT. In my country the majority of Subaru WRX's were sold to males who work in IT.

• Like 1

... and another personal post instead of any useful contribution.

How does designing and fixing front end RF/Physical Layer algorithms for mobile phones fit with you? Speaking of physics, I actually have a degree in it, alongside another one in telecomms, and building hobby radios since primary school. All skills useful for my job on top of 15+ years work experience. Whatever your concept of IT might be, not everyone works maintaining Windows.

A lot of new car releases have wheel well designed for space saver only, it happens left right and centre if you could be bothered to check. The Yeti spare wheel well is exactly an example of what I am talking about, although there the well was made shallower on account of rear diff. Don't trust my words,search Briskoda for "yeti full size spare".

Back to Octavia 3 please, do you have anything useful to say about the new Octavia?

All that needed said about the octavia 3 and your super-awesome needs is in this post: http://www.briskoda....90#entry3098251

Now, will you please give up yakking about yeti and audi spare wheels? They are not the same.

RF/Physical layer algorithms for mobile phones sounds like building/upgrading cell towers and integrating off-the-shelf equipment. A mate does that. He does big hours in strange places and drives a turbo subaru.