Snow!

Chan110

Chan110,

Of course they can.

Light can beat or better heavy, up hill and down

& narrow tyres can better wider.

All the electrics or mechanical aids, diffs, lockers and traction controls can not necessarily better anything if traction is lost at the drive wheels. No traction equals no action.

Unless its descending then heavy is more of a worry.

My Picanto automatic drives past slithering about versions of 'The Best 4x4 by far', (in Forfar') quite regularly

george

So grip of tyres not important in snow?

Light cars with narrow correct inflated summer tyres better (ford ka)

thn a range rover with summer tyres slightly deflated (to grip even better)?

Grip is everything

So would a big wide slightly deflated tyre of a 4x4 have much more surface contact thn

a ford ka with narrow tyres?

This i still dont understand.

If narrow tyres cut thru thin new snow to get to tarmac - i understand.

But if its snow u cant cut thru - his is thin tyres better?

There is no general rule, just like no road surface is always the same.

Different compressed snow, frozen, wet, deep, ice etc.

Treads and compounds. So many variables.

You can deflate a tyre if you are stuck, but you need to reinflate to drive about or the tyre can overheat.

(no point dropping pressures if you have no means of reinflating to continue when its black top)

Driving on snow like Glacier Driving on top of the snow and a wide foot print,

is different from driving up a road.

Winter Tyre Pressures need set as manufacturers or tyre manufacturers recomendations.

http://www.michelin....ld-weather-tips

Check pressures for the weather.

george

Different tyres for different conditions and you might still not have it right for the whole journey unless the conditions are constant.

None of those tyres in the pictures are particularly good on snow or ice, they are not cold weather compounds,

that is other than the ones on the Picanto.

• Like 2

big fat tyres have less ground pressure and sit on thes surface, skinny tyre bite into the snow and go. That is why we all got around with RWD cars years ago far easier that modern FWD's

• Like 2

Yeah very similar here, was in London yesterday and it was noticeably milder. Definitely felt the difference when we got back

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Bad snow between Laurencekirk and Perth tonight. Lots of accidents around Forfar.

Snow is actually very thing but with no gritting at all it' quickly turned to ice. Plenty of plonkers around either doing 60 in the fast lane (Beemers and 4x4s mostly), tailgating or rear fogs on.

Rear fogs in snow reeeeeeally ****ing help those of us behind you you ****ing tubes.

It's alarming how quickly the snow has come down here in the Highlands as well, I was going a short distance home (couple of miles) but took a slight detour as the DPF felt like it was trying to regen. As I was going along the dual carriageway visibility just dropped to nothing and it was difficult to tell where exactly the lanes were particularly on the slip roads so I decided to get off the road and go home. I'd slowed right up but even then the ABS kicked in to my surprise then going very slowly on a roundabout the car was slightly sliding, glad to get home without someone rear ending me as at one point I had someone sitting right on my bumper clearly unimpressed at my low speed.

John

Snow on the ground & ice but luckily no wind, well around here yet, because it is the type of Spring snow that blows and drifts.

Cold to continue.

Beautiful blue sky & the sun is coming out.

Many reports of accidents around Dundee, Fife & South of Edinburgh.

Non salted roads.

george

Scary drive from Arbroath to Forfar last night, road not gritted. never out of 3rd gear but Superb coped well

Waiting for a skip to arrive so I can clear lots of trees I cut down last week- hope we keep the sunshine we have just now as don't want to do it when snowing

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

currently -4 here in Washington, near Sunderland. - Covering of snow and it's trying all the time - sunny intervals are Lovely!

winter tyres still on all vehicles in our household.

Al.

Random pile of snow appeared overnight right in front of the garage door. Puzzled

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Fallen off roof ? :o. -2 here this glorious morning , hopefully this side of the uk won't get any of gods dandruff

Edited by seboni121

Lying truth twisting ****** from Traffic Scotland on the radio this morning, "We were out gritting loads last night, all those hundreds of people saying the roads were ****e are obviously deluded" (some paraphrasing on my part).

What the smug sack of ****e wasn't saying was that the feckin gritters should have been out through the afternoon before the snow fell when the weather warnings were in place. Feck all use doing it at 1am 5hr after everyone has crashed on black ice.

• Like 1

Lying truth twisting ****** from Traffic Scotland on the radio this morning, "We were out gritting loads last night, all those hundreds of people saying the roads were ****e are obviously deluded" (some paraphrasing on my part).

What the smug sack of ****e wasn't saying was that the feckin gritters should have been out through the afternoon before the snow fell when the weather warnings were in place. Feck all use doing it at 1am 5hr after everyone has crashed on black ice.

I saw half a dozen gritters yesterday afternoon. They were out at 10am yesterday and I saw them all afternoon

drive home last night was interesting - camera seems to have much better visibility than I did, was very hard to see in some places due to headlights being reflected by the snow