Snow!

Chan110

Is predicted nx couple of weeks.

I have a Subaru Legacy 4x4 hoping to PX for a Superb this month.

Wondering how Skoda cope in wintry conditions?

Same as normal 2WD?

Better?

Is there a SNOW button to press?

Does DSG make any difference?

Get the Superb 4x4 and a set of winter tyres and you'll be virtually unstoppable :) I've seen loads of Superb's / Octys on standard tyres in snow and they've not really got very far. If you only get a 2WD one, still put the winters on all four wheels.

• Like 1

I'm guessing you're not buying a 4x4 Superb then. It will go about the same as any other FWD car.

However if you're concerned about snow, get winter tyres. They will make more difference than AWD/fancy snow settings. Plus they will actually help you stop.

• Like 1

Winter 2009/10 We had temperatures down to -17 and 2 feet of snow which lay on the ground for 6 weeks on top of ice.

I managed in my VRS on new summer tyres. Not easy but I had no choice. If you drive to the conditions and keep your head screwed on you'll be surprised what you can get through.

But I'm ooop north and I drive in bad snow most years so I've had plenty of practice.

• Like 2

A 2wd car on the right tyres (winter ones) will be better than a 4wd car on the wrong ones (Summer tyres).

I have no idea how a DSG copes with snow, I don't think there is a winter/snow setting. However I'm sure there are several threads about it if you search.

• Like 2

Yes - looking at a 2WD Superb only this month.

Winter tyres help u stop better? Really?

Where is the best place to get set of cheap rims / winter tyres?

Does Skoda sell thm?

Superb has 18" - can i stick some 16" rims with winter on thm?

Cheers!

My DSG Scout on winters impressed the hell out of me in the last lots of heavy snow we had. There were very few situations where D didn't work. Sometimes used tiptronic for assured engine breaking or where I wanted to hold specific revs. But thats about it. I've had all sorts of cars, including Landys (SIII & SIIIA) and have lived in the middle of nowhere where you were proper snowed in (a week or more), so it exceeded all my expectations!

Having said that, as others have said, winter tyres make a massive difference!

Yes - looking at a 2WD Superb only this month.

Where is the best place to get set of cheap rims / winter tyres?

Does Skoda sell thm?

Superb has 18" - can i stick some 16" rims with winter on thm?

Cheers!

winters make a huge difference! I have them on my fabis 2 vRS (DSG of course) and have driven past 4x4's on summers before ;)

I was very sceptical about the difference winter tyres would make till a set of steelies and winter tyres popped up local to me for a very good price.

Now i wouldnt be without a set as the grip compared to summer tyres in temperatures under 4º is phenomenal.

Not had the chance to try them in snow yet but living in scotland that shouldnt be long lol.

• Like 1

Cheers!

Simple answer is YES.

There are plenty of Youtube videos and reports on the web proving it. Winter tyres will also remain soft when it gets cold dramatically improving traction and braking in low temperatures when there is no snow/frost on the ground.

What people forget is 4wd has no advantage when braking at all.

Edited by Jim H
  • Like 1

very soon matey! I'm in the borders and expecting it in the next 2 days!

Finally a chance to try out my tyres lol.

Is this a sign of getting older btw....I get excited about winter tyres :-P

It's just started here in Barnsley, only very light but I can see where it's going. Going to see how I get on before I take the plunge if I have to, seen a couple of options on the 'bay. How effective would a part worn set with around 4 - 5 mm of grip be?

It's just started here in Barnsley, only very light but I can see where it's going. Going to see how I get on before I take the plunge if I have to, seen a couple of options on the 'bay. How effective would a part worn set with around 4 - 5 mm of grip be?

I'd say if your still on summer tyres, they'd be a massive improvement in grip levels.

Also you're not going as fast or braking as hard as in summer so they take longer to wear down i'd imagine.