CityGo ASG delivery times

Truthseeker

my next door neighbor waited 6 weeks but she does not like the auto g/box.only done 400 miles might be for sale

bill

Shame...but it does take time to get used to as I found out in the wife's Aygo MMT. Trouble is, most people think the asg semi auto is going to drive like a standard auto. Thanks for the delivery time info. When did they order and do you know if it was a factory order or one in stock/en route?

AGS is ok when you are not in a hurry or upset. Works well, just shifts early to bigger gear which feels quite odd (but saves fuel). You need to speed up? Use manual option with + and -. Sure, different to manual gearbox or real automatic, but nothing you couldn't clear. Hating this box is just inability to learn anything new. Looking for a sports car? ASG is not. (This is my 20th car in 41 years.)

AGS is ok when you are not in a hurry or upset. Works well, just shifts early to bigger gear which feels quite odd (but saves fuel). You need to speed up? Use manual option with + and -. Sure, different to manual gearbox or real automatic, but nothing you couldn't clear. Hating this box is just inability to learn anything new. Looking for a sports car? ASG is not. (This is my 20th car in 41 years.)

Many thanks. Our Up will be our 96th car (between my and my wife) in 43 years - I am a bit of a car addict (wife is not I am afraid).

5dr elegance in white with asg box. ordered mine on 26th june delivered 26th september 12 weeks !.told when ordered the factory were only starting to make 5drs at end of july so that delayed things a little

5dr elegance in white with asg box. ordered mine on 26th june delivered 26th september 12 weeks !.told when ordered the factory were only starting to make 5drs at end of july so that delayed things a little

But, more to the point...how do you like it?

But, more to the point...how do you like it?

bought for 83 yo mother who potters about town . she loves it as it saves the pain in her dodgy knees lol. . ok asg box is no ball of fire but then again its not being raced about so i'd say perfect for the purpose. i drive it sometimes but tend to change manually which perks things up a bit .otherwise a well made tidy small car( except for trip computer problems as mentioned in another thread)

bought for 83 yo mother who potters about town . she loves it as it saves the pain in her dodgy knees lol. . ok asg box is no ball of fire but then again its not being raced about so i'd say perfect for the purpose. i drive it sometimes but tend to change manually which perks things up a bit .otherwise a well made tidy small car( except for trip computer problems as mentioned in another thread)

Thanks. I've mentioned it before but for virtually the same money (Citigo ASG from DtD = £10,667 ) - you can buy the top of the range automatic Suzuki Splash (£10,749 from DtD). Both with metallic and the Citigo specced with space-saver spare wheel, whereas the Splash has it as standard.

Not the same car but similar size and similar appeal regards being practical rather than a ball of fire. Splash has a torque converter box as opposed to the ASG. That could be seen as a plus or not depending on your viewpoint. Splash has a 1.2 4 cyl. engine and will almost certainly cost more to fuel and insure (not sure about tax but it's not goiung to amount to much either way). Both have 3 year warranty. Citigo MIGHT hold it's value (but the ASG might be a downer if it proves to be unpopular). Splash is much easier to get in and out of and has excellent visibility. Would like to know if anyone has compared them. I haven't driven a Splash but did drive the Skoda. The manual seemed good to me but didn't fall in love with the ASG.

she does not like the auto g/box.only done 400 miles might be for sale

ASG has a learning curve, also knowing how to drive manual help the semi-manual. I never driven ASG but I had test drive with Smart and i had no problem in auto mode.

I ordered Nov 10ish been told February delivery, no building date yet.

Edited by aToOoOoMboi
  • Like 1

I think if you go from a proper auto or DSG to this there is the potential to hate it.

Going from a manual to ASG you will view it differently and be used to less than smooth changes and just be thankful for not having to use clutch etc.

Wonder if there's much wiggle room to have the ASG box "remapped" and speed up the changes a bit? Maybe they made the box slower to prolonge component life etc.

Phil

ASG has a learning curve, also knowing how to drive manual help the semi-manual. I never driven ASG but I had test drive with Smart and i had no problem in auto mode.

Would it not be best to have driven an ASG box before giving advice regarding it's "learning curve" ?

We ordered a 60ps elegance (5 door) for my wife in early November and were told to expect January delivery (which I didn't believe for a minute). We have just been told that it is a confirmed week 3 build (ie this week) and to expect delivery early- or mid-February. If so, I shall ask the dealer if he can delay registering until 1 March: he was happy to do this with my Yeti two years ago.

Thanks. I've mentioned it before but for virtually the same money (Citigo ASG from DtD = £10,667 ) - you can buy the top of the range automatic Suzuki Splash (£10,749 from DtD). Both with metallic and the Citigo specced with space-saver spare wheel, whereas the Splash has it as standard.

Not the same car but similar size and similar appeal regards being practical rather than a ball of fire. Splash has a torque converter box as opposed to the ASG. That could be seen as a plus or not depending on your viewpoint. Splash has a 1.2 4 cyl. engine and will almost certainly cost more to fuel and insure (not sure about tax but it's not goiung to amount to much either way). Both have 3 year warranty. Citigo MIGHT hold it's value (but the ASG might be a downer if it proves to be unpopular). Splash is much easier to get in and out of and has excellent visibility. Would like to know if anyone has compared them. I haven't driven a Splash but did drive the Skoda. The manual seemed good to me but didn't fall in love with the ASG.

You can drive yourself crazy with choice. There are so many cars around the £10 000 mark. How about the Kia picanto auto,Hyundai i10 auto,Fiat 500 twin air auto,Toyota Aygo auto, Toyota IQ auto,Smart Passion auto,the list is endless. You could even get a used one year old Ford Mondeo or Vauxhall Insignia,down from £20 000 to £10 000.

• Like 1

Would it not be best to have driven an ASG box before giving advice regarding it's "learning curve" ?

All semi auto boxes work on the same principle. aToOoOoMboi has driven a Smart car which also has a semi auto box, so I think he is qualified to give an opinion on an ASG box. We have owned several several semi autos (Toyota Aygo, Fiat Bipper, Smart), all with the ASG type box and agree that it does take some getting used to. And yes it is a "learning curve". It is never ever going to be as smooth as a DSG or standard torque converter auto, but for those that require an auto box, it is very satisfactory. As an Aside, when I drive my wife's current Aygo MMT (Multi Mode Transmission), I must admit that I prefer to use the manual option as I tend to want to change up quicker than when in auto mode. I have no reason to doubt that the ASG box will perform the same as these other semi-autos.....not perfect but adequate.

I was told once the car is delivered to the dealer they need to register it and pass it on to the customer within 10 days? My Citigo is due mid Feb and I specifically told them I want 13 reg or they can forget it.

I was told once the car is delivered to the dealer they need to register it and pass it on to the customer within 10 days? My Citigo is due mid Feb and I specifically told them I want 13 reg or they can forget it.

I have heard this '10-day-rule' quoted a number of times but I think it's really down to individual dealers and how they manage their order books. As I have said previously, my 'local' (35 miles away!) dealer was happy to hang onto my Yeti for a fortnight or more a couple of years ago to wait for 1 March. If my wife's Citigo does not arrive until the middle of next month, which is likely, we are then away for the week of 18 February anyway, so I shall certainly push for it not to be registered until Friday 1 March rather than in the last four days of February!

Interesting Thread, thanks guys. So the Auto isn't as bad as the press tells us?(Honest John) Thats what I get from this thread. I am a sedate driver and never hurry my car, much to the annoyance of other drivers who want to drive at 30 in a 20 zone. So do you think coming from a CVT Merc to a Citygo wouldn't be too much of a problem? My other cars a Panda and both cars wil be going elsewhere this year so I need a small reliable replacement. Have looked at the i10 and splash/Agila auto,s. I10 has an option of Cruise but Splash doesn't mention it. I would want that. I don't think the waiting times are too bad for the Citigo. :love:

Interesting Thread, thanks guys. So the Auto isn't as bad as the press tells us?(Honest John) Thats what I get from this thread. I am a sedate driver and never hurry my car, much to the annoyance of other drivers who want to drive at 30 in a 20 zone. So do you think coming from a CVT Merc to a Citygo wouldn't be too much of a problem? My other cars a Panda and both cars wil be going elsewhere this year so I need a small reliable replacement. Have looked at the i10 and splash/Agila auto,s. I10 has an option of Cruise but Splash doesn't mention it. I would want that. I don't think the waiting times are too bad for the Citigo. :love:

I personally wouldn't dream of buying another i10 automatic. Having had to battle with Hyundai Customer Services in order to try to rectify an acknowledged issue with the automatic version, I'd certainly look elsewhere. My one does no more than 35 mpg....sometimes down below 30 mpg and is hardly a pleasure to drive at motorway speeds (3250rpm at 70 mph isn't a relaxing experience). And the manual version I had prior to this one was another story again...and not in a good sense.

If you're considering one, make sure you drive it first.

Similarly, make sure you drive the ASG...and try to spend as much time as possible in it. My test drive was only twenty minutes or so, so wasn't exactly definitive, but, as noted earlier, I didn't fall in love with it in those twenty minutes. Maybe a day with it would allow a better experience.

Edited by oldstan

Interesting Thread, thanks guys. So the Auto isn't as bad as the press tells us?(Honest John) Thats what I get from this thread. I am a sedate driver and never hurry my car, much to the annoyance of other drivers who want to drive at 30 in a 20 zone. So do you think coming from a CVT Merc to a Citygo wouldn't be too much of a problem? My other cars a Panda and both cars will be going elsewhere this year so I need a small reliable replacement. Have looked at the i10 and splash/Agila auto,s. I10 has an option of Cruise but Splash doesn't mention it. I would want that. I don't think the waiting times are too bad for the Citigo. :love:

CVT Merc is not the same as a semi automatic car (ASG included). We have had both a CVT Honda Jazz and a Merc A Class CVT, but IMO, they are definitely the best auto to have as they have a seamless gear change hence the name (Constant Variable Transmission). From memory, the Merc CVT "appears" to change gear like a regular Automatic, but in reality this is just a computer chip in the gearbox, to make the driver feel like it is changing gear, whereas the Honda version does without this. You will for sure notice a difference with the ASG, but do not let that put you off. If you are a sedate driver (like my wife), you will soon adapt your driving style to the gear changes in an ASG. I have found that the best way is to anticipate when the box is about to change up a gear, and come off the accelerator briefly until the change has occurred, just as you would do with a manual box. Good luck!

Oldstan, Thanks for that info. My CVT Merc sits nicley at just under 1750 Rev's at 65 and its a lovely drive.... I shall miss it but It has to go.

I like the Idea of a 24 hour test drive but those days are gone I would think my dealer would be less than inpressed if is asked for the car for a half day let alone a whole day.

Truthseeker, Your a wise man indeed. Thanks for the post.