New Car - Exeo? Something Else?

Hannibal

As much as I love my Fabia, I’m increasingly feeling that the time has come to move on.

I’d like something larger for trips away and lugging around large amounts of DIY paraphernalia. I’m not adverse to a hatch but prefer the way that most estates look. Especially the Octavia.

Currently number one in the frame is the Seat Exeo ST. Based on the Audi B7 it’s available with stacks more toys as standard as the Octavia vRS for a similar price. I’m thinking SE Lux Spec. Does anybody have any experience of this and how the suspension compares to the sport trim? Are there any reasons not to get this over the Octavia? (Did I really just ask that on a Skoda Forum?)

Finally are there any other cars I should be considering. Requirements (with a bit of flexibility).

• Up to 3 years old
  • Up to 50k miles
  • Up to £15k
  • Diesel
  • Reasonably quick.
  • Ideally Focus estate Sized.

I’ve also thought about the Volvo V50 which is a bit better size for me but I’d be looking at a D5 which I don’t think would have the economy that I’m after.

Ultimately it will all come down to a test drive but I’m trying to shorten/refine the list on the desk-top to start with.

Cheers all. Suggestions welcome.

PS, have seen the previous threads on the Exeo. I can use the search function!

Why not look at the Superb estate a lot of car for the money.

Ive just moved from an Octavia to a Superb and its a cracking motor.

I looked at Seat but they just didnt feel as nice inside.

Why not look at the Superb estate a lot of car for the money.

Ive just moved from an Octavia to a Superb and its a cracking motor.

I looked at Seat but they just didnt feel as nice inside.

Cheers, but this would be way too big for me. I want to be able to fit a door into the car, which I can do easily into my Dad's Mazda 6 estate but I don't want it to be any larger than needed. That doesn't make much sense I know.

True. And barely run in. Just seems that I'd get more toys on an Exeo for the money.......... The Octavia seems to be holding is value very well. That car is knocking on the door of 3yrs old, I'd guess cost about £19k new and is up for almost £15k now.

• Like 1

are the toys on an Exeo toys that you'd actually use, or just 'toys' that you'd hardly use?

a buddy down here went from a far from standard MkI Fabia vRS to a slightly older, I think, L&K Octy estate and couldn't be happier with it.

I'm no used car expert, but I guess there's a reason why Skoda's hold their value.

are the toys on an Exeo toys that you'd actually use, or just 'toys' that you'd hardly use?

a buddy down here went from a far from standard MkI Fabia vRS to a slightly older, I think, L&K Octy estate and couldn't be happier with it.

A good point. I'd certainly like the Xenon's as I do more than my fair share of driving on country roads and with on street parking and the size of the car, rear sensors I would appreciate too.

The others such as leather less so.

The others such as leather less so.

For the purpose you have in mind, I'd put seat covers on it.

I've tried a few Seats, even owned a Toledo, yet I've always felt the Skoda's were more solidly built, but that's just my opinion. I'd suggest getting behind the wheel of a few potentials and see what you think. Best of luck with whatever your choice.

I had an Audi A4 on the same platform as the exeo. Mine didnt have the sport suspension and it was far better for it. The ride was superb. Mine was a 52 plate though so ive no idea how different the seat would be. One thing i am certain of is the build quality. It was simply the most solid car i have ever owned, like it was hewn fro granite.

The interior is also superb, probably a wee bit dated now but still a quality dash none the less and id rather have a dated solid dash than a modern plastic mess.

It depends on how much things have changed over the years and between audi and seat but if its the same basic car as my A4 was id have no problem having it again. The seat actually has the convertable version of the Audi dash which was even nicer.

Mine had 18 inch alloys ( aftermarket ones ) but even with these on the non sport suspension its probably the best riding cars ive owned.

Dont really think there are too many downsides TBH as this old Audi platform was as solid as they come.

Edited by Jockdooshbag
  • Like 1

Like the Superb, I'm starting to see a lot for Exeo's on the road these days - very much good value for money. Few colleagues run them due to the large amount of "toys" available on them. Having had a 09 plate Audi A4 saloon, we couldn't manage with the interior space (mainly leg room in the back) hence we had a Superb, but if you don't need that then the car is more than suitable.

Exeo is good, but wheelbase is very short and that affects legroom, so if you're tall and plan for anyone sitting behind you, forget it. Also, for high speed driving (not really within the UK), Exeo is still underpowered, no V6 diesels there.

For any other circumstances, it is a very good deal indeed if you want decent driving experience. And yes, Skoda seems to have forgotten "value for money" motto with the latest releases of Rapid and Octavia Mk3. 2006 Mk1 Superb was a lot of money for a Skoda, but was excellent still value for money compared to A6. Likewise Octavia Mk1 FL and Mk2, not cheap cars, but so much better than alternatives even at 30%+ price level.

Im personally a massive fan of the Exeo, in particular the Sport Tech ST. They drive better than the B7's due to the work Seat did on the suspension changes and for the money I dont think they can be beat - full leather, sat nav (although a fairly dated unit by Columbus standards) and the fantastic Bose system. Personally Id aim for the 170ps version as it offers not only better acceleration but also better brakes and steering but there are some bargain 140 models available second hand. Look for the later ones that had the revised rear bench and front seat backs if rear seat space is important.

Also, the very latest ones are Ecomotive models and therefore just £30 to tax with better fuel economy. Finally, theres a good range of mods available too if improving the handling (rear arb upgrade) etc is your bag. :)

Exeo, seems to get a farily good appraisal then, thanks all. I will certainly make sure I get behind the wheel of one of these. This thread has also made me think about which options I really want, and Xenons are one of them. I will still look at Octavia's but I think that this will limit my choice.

Rear passanger space isn't that much of an issue for me as I almost never have them, no kids, and I'm not that tall.

Looking at other possibilites yesterday evening, would I be completley bonkers to try a SAAB 9-3 TTid. 180bhp from a twin turbo 1.9......

What about parts etc though?? And servicing??

http://www.saab.com/en-gb/uk/the-company/about-us/saab-automobile-parts-uk/

Not sure if they're any good or not, but it looks like it could be enough to keep the cars going. There's a few other SAAB sites kicking around online too.

Saab sold off the parts business when they went under. A lot of the dealerships are now service centres. A bit like when mg rover went bust the parts side was sold off. No issues with Saab parts as far as I know. My father in law has a 9-5 and has had no problems

Cheers, but this would be way too big for me. I want to be able to fit a door into the car, which I can do easily into my Dad's Mazda 6 estate but I don't want it to be any larger than needed. That doesn't make much sense I know.

Well I know that a Octavia hatch will fit doors in the back.

I picked 3 internal doors up a couple of years ago from Howdens and the guy said "you wont get them in there" so I just dropped the back seats and loaded them in closed the hatch. The look on his face was priceless.

Well I know that a Octavia hatch will fit doors in the back.

I picked 3 internal doors up a couple of years ago from Howdens and the guy said "you wont get them in there" so I just dropped the back seats and loaded them in closed the hatch. The look on his face was priceless.

Fair point. But really don't like the Octy hatch. I don't like the way it looks side on and when I took a pre facelift one out for a test drive a while back all I could see in the rear view mirro was spoiler.

The hatches that that leaves me with are the Leon, Golf, Mazda 3 etc. I doubt any of them would take a door but I'd be happy to be proved wrong. I wonder if an A3 sportback would be long enough. I wonder how much extra an A3 would be vs an equivalent age Octy or Exeo. Any advance on £750 per ring?

Fair point. But really don't like the Octy hatch. I don't like the way it looks side on and when I took a pre facelift one out for a test drive a while back all I could see in the rear view mirro was spoiler.

The hatches that that leaves me with are the Leon, Golf, Mazda 3 etc. I doubt any of them would take a door but I'd be happy to be proved wrong. I wonder if an A3 sportback would be long enough. I wonder how much extra an A3 would be vs an equivalent age Octy or Exeo. Any advance on £750 per ring?

Fair point mine was a 1.8 TSi Elegance so didnt have the spoiler on the back but almost VRs performance and plenty of comfort and toys.

The estate is the same size so would swallow the doors with ease.

Someone has said it already, they had a 52 plate car which the Exeo is based on. That's 11 years ago and it wasn't brand new then! You have to put a lot of toys on something that's based on a 12 year old design for me to be interested!

But you could surely argue that the octavia mk2 is currently a 9 year old design, doesn't have the toys as standard and didn't get a mid life reengineer like the Exeo did when it went to Seat. I'm not a Seat fan but driving a B7 and an Exeo is a different experience in terms of handling. :-)

• Like 1

I had the use of the Exeo Sport recently. Four door saloon, nice to drive but only 140bhp so not as quick as the vRS. Inside felt a bit dated too but I guess that comes from using Audi bits. Despite being well equipped it'll be rock solid reliable but I just found it a little dull.