COOLANT WARNING LIGHT PROBLEM

spember

Hi there.

I followed a previous thread dealing with this problem (ie: Coolant warning light comes on after starting the car, but temp. gauge is normal and coolant level fine.) but can't seem to locate some of the suggested parts of the car in order to try and solve the problem.

Namely: I decided to see if the 'prongs' were gunged-up inside the expansion tank - but on opening the cap, there seems to be a small plastic resevoir sitting inside inside the top section- with no access to the tank itself, and so no 'prongs' or anything else visible to clean.

Also - is the 'sensor' mentioned the black plug-type thingy which fits into the back of the expansion tank? (Thought I'd try giving that a clean too, if that's the case).

Finally - If I can't solve the problem, can I replace the expansion tank myself? (And do I need to drain the system in this case?)

Sorry to sound a bit dumb! I'm not very technically-minded, but as a female who doesn't mind having a bash, I've been given some really clear and helpful advice on this forum in the past. (By the way - my car is a Fabia Classic 1.4 Estate 2002)

Many thanks

on the vrs you cannot remove the sensor you have to change the hole expansion tank although it is a simple job to do and not too expensive .... just remember to buy the correct antifreeze ..... i would imagine the 1.4 will be similar

i think that should be the same tank:

http://www.theskodashop.co.uk/product/Coolant_Expansion_Tank_(Fabia_00%3E12)_6Q0121407B

i got mine from tps recently 12.08 + vat

Edited by Holmesie

looking at that guide ^ i found when i did mine there was enough room to get the tank out without removing vaccum blocks just pull off the plastic pipe clamp, remove 2 screws, syphon tank , remove pipes and pull tank out. although if you do get a gob full of coolant when syphoning the after taste seems to stay there for a fair while !!

Hi ya, we have a 1.4 classic, 02 plate & have had the same problem on & off for a while. The last fix we did was the expansion tank replacement which worked for a good while but now low and behold that annoying little alarm is on again! Ideally don't want to do another replacement so will probably live with it for the time being :happy:

I got a tank a few weeks back from carparts4less.co.uk for just over £7. Fitting was easy and I didn't drain the coolant - just caught what was in the tank and kept the hoses high once disconnected so as not to syphon any more out. The tank came without cap so keep the old one.

If you undo the tank from the car first you can raise it before undoing any hoses. Undo the top one first, the return, as that's likely empty. Put a small tub or bowl under the tank to catch what drains out but keep the end of the lower hose high enough that it doesn't drain any more from inside the engine.

Until I got a new tank I had pulled the plug from the top of the tank and shorted it with a small U shaped electrical connector and tied it out of the way just to get rid of the light. (You're right, it is the black plug type thingy at the back of the tank.) If you do this remember to check the coolant level the old fashioned way as you'll get no warning if it drops.

On the new tank the prongs are enclosed the same as yours. Wonder if the design changed to prevent DIY prong cleaning...

I also have the same problem on my 2003 Fabia 1.4 MPI estate. Do you think replacing the coolant tank will solve the problem?

It may not solve it permanently. There is a fair chance the reason the prongs have got contaminated is a small leak from your head gasket.

Many thanks for all the replies.

Seems like a new expansion tank is my first port of call. I'll definitely have a go at fitting it myself, based on advice given here. (Although, as I don't have a garage, i think I'll wait till the snow's gone!)

I also take the point about the head gasket - something to be aware of, definitely. (I guess no car parts go on forever do they!?)

Thanks again for prompt and helpful advice. An invaluable resource, as always.

Cheers

I've had the warning light come on for the past few morning now. Its alright after I restart the engine after a few mins. Ahh well its in the garage tomorrow I'll get them to look at it.

• 1 year later...

I bought a cheap high mileage Fabia 2 days ago, unseen.  I also have the coolant temperature alarm, when the car is cold, and this in the coolant header tank.

DSCF1001_zpsff686033.jpg

From what I've read so far, it could be head gasket failure, previous owner mixing different types of coolant or contamination from oil dripping onto a hose somewhere and soaking through.

I've got a long journey to make on Monday, so would like to do some initial cheap fixes this weekend if possible.  There's no sign of mayonaise in the oil filler cap or dip stick. I'm currently planning on an oil and filter change today (Saturday) but if there is anything else to get from Eurocarparts or GSF this morning I'd be glad of the advice.  Unfortunately I can't run a hose out to the drive, so any flushing would be by clean watering can.

Thanks in advance.  Matthew

Matthew, check your head gasket to see if it has the word 'TEMAC' on it where the corner of it pokes out of the head. This indicates whether it has an improved gasket. Failures are common with the older type.

rsz_1vkf1yctevle.jpg

There was a barely visible T in the corner of the gasket.

The biggest problem today was that the car wouldn't start - flat battery, but it drove to my house OK 36 hours previously. 

I've charged the battery today, and took the opportunity to clean the car and pump up the tyres.  It started OK this evening, so I'll see how it is in the morning, doing voltage check before turning the key.