Roof aerial

r999

The Yeti's roof aerial went missing yesterday. I'll be looking for a replacement tomorrow morning, and hoping to pick one up straight away before beginning a long journey into territory with weak phone signals.

Anyway, if the local Skoda dealers don't have one in stock, is there any point in trying the VW dealer? More specifically, can anyone confirm that the Yeti part, which I understand is no. 6R0035849, is also used on the Polo (2009?) and perhaps on other VW and Skoda models?

I know aerials were discussed here last month. http://www.briskoda....ge__hl__ aerial

For present purposes I am not interested in eBay offerings, non-VAG parts, shorter or longer replacements, different styles, etc. It's the VAG original part I'm after.

Thanks for any help.

The aerial is a fairly generic fitting, as I think it is made by Hella. I have a spare Vauxhall one that fits exactly, plus a spurious one from the local parts bod. They all match the Yeti one.

• Like 1

Thanks to both. We'll see what I get offered in the morning.

I wonder why the Yeti part changed several times, as TP's link shows, if it is a standard Hella part? Is there more to this than meets the eye, or not?

Thanks to both. We'll see what I get offered in the morning.

I wonder why the Yeti part changed several times, as TP's link shows, if it is a standard Hella part? Is there more to this than meets the eye, or not?

Well there are at least 2 different ones as the earlier models had a longer mast than the current model :)

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I now have two Yeti aerials. I was able to buy a new one when I needed it on 21 January. Yesterday, when a pile of snow finally melted, there was the original aerial lying on the ground.

One of them is therefore surplus to requirements, which might help someone out in future.

Having had an aerial on and off the car a few times, I was a little surprised to discover that its presence or absence appeared to make no difference to the signal strength displayed on the phone and MFD, even in areas where the signal strength was well below max.

There is an Android/Bluetooth bug described here http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=15539 but I don't think this is the same thing: the bug causes the signal strength display never to update, whereas in my case it updated frequently, it just wasn't any better with the aerial than without it. Tricky things, aerials.

Tricky indeed. I've just had to have my aerial unit replaced as the Columbus satnav, having been intermittently odd over a few months (thinking the south of France was Frankfurt, for example) finally gave up the ghost and, more often than not, showed me driving into the North Sea and out again.

New aerial fitted under warranty on Wednesday, and on a trip to Leeds and back yesterday it appeared to know where it was again (although it did want to send me a strange way home).

Hi r999. I think the Yeti uses both the roof aerial and the heated rear window for FM. It switches (very quickly) to whichever has the strongest signal at any instant, a system called diversity. This is better than only one aerial, especially when there is no line of sight path to the transmitter. So if the roof aerial goes AWOL the radio will stay connected to the rear window and you will keep some performance. Satnav and phones use separate aerials.