Too Much Snow for a Yeti...

Tristar 1011

post-73315-0-23766900-1358797031_thumb.jpgpost-73315-0-73440900-1358795682_thumb.jpgpost-73315-0-62111500-1358795962_thumb.jpgI thought I'd start a new snow topic, as my previous one descended into 1963 nostalgia - I was there - I was an RAH Halton Apprentice and I seem to remember doing nothing but clearing snow from the roads with a shovel around Wendover for 3 or 4 weeks! Oh as per previous thread: 2 grand children, one Mother-in-law (so far...)

Back to the topic: As some of you know I live on a hill between Staylittle and Machynlleth. A rumour was heard that a lorry had tried to get over the mountain road on Thursday and was stuck. So today (Monday) I went to have a look. A good opportunity to try out my winter tyres and 4x4. I got to within a couple of hundred yards of the lorry and chickened out (see picture 1). Im pleased I did; it got a whole lot worse (Although looking at Yeti_man's pictures he was a lot braver than me!). I walked upto and past the lorry and saw that a JCB was trying to reach the lorry from the opposite direction - It's 8 miles to Machynlleth and rising to close on 2000' ! I can't see them recovering the lorry for sometime.

• Like 1

...I was an RAH Halton Apprentice and I seem to remember doing nothing but clearing snow from the roads with a shovel around Wendover for 3 or 4 weeks!...

I was digging from the top of the hill (the RAF had let go of me a couple of years before).

Started my training at Halton in Jan 1989 but as a humble Prop Mechanic, last apprentice courses were also starting around the same time. Some interesting goings on on their side of the parade ground; hosing down the new intake with the block fire hose while on parade, burying the disips moped in the rose bed and blocking of the road to their barracks with dummy bombs and Danger UXB signs :giggle: Pleased I was only their six months, mind with effects of draw down, it took fourteen years to get to JNCO and we got no further with later redundancy :'(

Anyway back to the topic; that's a lot of snow even for a Yeti, had a few deepish drifts to dodge round this morning on the Wold top, if they had been right across the road I'd have also been turning back.

TP

Edited by The Plumber

Hi Tristar1011 . I like your avatar but too many engines for a 1011 surely?

Andy (BA retired)

Hi Andy, You are the first to comment that it was not a Tristar! 7 years on 707/336; 10 years on Tristars -1; -200; -500 (happy days - "No Jacket Required"; 10 years on 747 Classic -136 (Pratt & Witney); -236 (RB211-524). (The picture is a 747-136)

How about you?

Peter

• Like 1

I wondered what it was like up there, Peter. Did think about driving up today, but the house was nice and warm................

What a bloody idiot the driver of the artic is. I don't even like taking the caravan over there!!

Started my training at Halton in Jan 1989 but as a humble Prop Mechanic, last apprentice courses were also starting around the same time. Some interesting goings on on their side of the parade ground; hosing down the new intake with the block fire hose while on parade, burying the disips moped in the rose bed and blocking of the road to their barracks with dummy bombs and Danger UXB signs :giggle: Pleased I was only their six months, mind with effects of draw down, it took fourteen years to get to JNCO and we got no further with later redundancy :'(

Anyway back to the topic; that's a lot of snow even for a Yeti, had a few deepish drifts to dodge round this morning on the Wold top, if they had been right across the road I'd have also been turning back.

TP

Hi TP, I guessed from your previous interesting inputs that you were in the aviation business. Yes joined up in 1962; we had our 50th anniversary last May in Telford. When I arrived I thought I had turned up at the wrong place - there was only a bunch of grey hair old blokes. We were know as the cannon entry; as we stole a cannon from the REME's at Chatham and a cannon from TS Arethusa and plonked them on our parade ground...

Yes the snow was quite bad 3-4' in places - you would have just run into and got no further.

Peter

post-73315-0-23766900-1358797031_thumb.jpgpost-73315-0-73440900-1358795682_thumb.jpgpost-73315-0-62111500-1358795962_thumb.jpgI thought I'd start a new snow topic, as my previous one descended into 1963 nostalgia - I was there - I was an RAH Halton Apprentice and I seem to remember doing nothing but clearing snow from the roads with a shovel around Wendover for 3 or 4 weeks! Oh as per previous thread: 2 grand children, one Mother-in-law (so far...)

Back to the topic: As some of you know I live on a hill between Staylittle and Machynlleth. A rumour was heard that a lorry had tried to get over the mountain road on Thursday and was stuck. So today (Monday) I went to have a look. A good opportunity to try out my winter tyres and 4x4. I got to within a couple of hundred yards of the lorry and chickened out (see picture 1). Im pleased I did; it got a whole lot worse (Although looking at Yeti_man's pictures he was a lot braver than me!). I walked upto and past the lorry and saw that a JCB was trying to reach the lorry from the opposite direction - It's 8 miles to Machynlleth and rising to close on 2000' ! I can't see them recovering the lorry for sometime.

From the photos Id say that was safely manageable in a Yeti with winter tyres, would just need a little pre thinking perhaps but Ive driven off road in worse in Germany and Switzerland. The only limiting factor Ive so far found have been lack of outright under belly clearance but with the off road pack in place, and compressable snow underneath, alot more is possible than it would be if it were a rocky terrain for example. You do need to know whats underneath the snow if its not on road however. Oh and I reckon that lorry was being driven by my Welsh relative! :giggle:

From the photos supplied, you made a wise decision not to proceed any further. Winter tyres and 4x4 vehicles are a fantastic combination, provided the driver has the experience and a common sense approach to driving in deep snow. I drove down from the highlands last night in a 2 wheel drive Citroen C3. The A9 was pretty clear until I reached Dunkeld. The snow was really heavy and visibility was poor in the darkness.. At this point the road has a 60mph limit as it's single carriageway and due the conditions vehicles slowed down to 25 - 30mph. However, when the road changed to a dual carriageway, some drivers decided to put the boot down and totally ignored the prevailing weather and road conditions. I was overtaken by a number SUV vehicles and some 2 wheel drive cars. Don't know if they had winter tyres fitted but their actions were completely crazy. There are more people killed on the A9 than any other road in Scotland, driving at speed in snow when it's dark and visibility is poor is a recipe for disaster. I know this road really well and have witnessed fatal and serious accidents on several occasions.

Fitting winter tyres will make your vehicle more capable but will it make you a better driver? If an idiot drives on non winter tyres, he'll still be an idiot when he fits winter tyres. Hope I haven't offended anyone but I really didn't enjoy my 180 mile journey down the A9 yesterday. Glad to be back home and behind the wheel of my Yeti.

Jim

• Like 1

From the photos supplied, you made a wise decision not to proceed any further. Winter tyres and 4x4 vehicles are a fantastic combination, provided the driver has the experience and a common sense approach to driving in deep snow. I drove down from the highlands last night in a 2 wheel drive Citroen C3. The A9 was pretty clear until I reached Dunkeld. The snow was really heavy and visibility was poor in the darkness.. At this point the road has a 60mph limit as it's single carriageway and due the conditions vehicles slowed down to 25 - 30mph. However, when the road changed to a dual carriageway, some drivers decided to put the boot down and totally ignored the prevailing weather and road conditions. I was overtaken by a number SUV vehicles and some 2 wheel drive cars. Don't know if they had winter tyres fitted but their actions were completely crazy. There are more people killed on the A9 than any other road in Scotland, driving at speed in snow when it's dark and visibility is poor is a recipe for disaster. I know this road really well and have witnessed fatal and serious accidents on several occasions.

Fitting winter tyres will make your vehicle more capable but will it make you a better driver? If an idiot drives on non winter tyres, he'll still be an idiot when he fits winter tyres. Hope I haven't offended anyone but I really didn't enjoy my 180 mile journey down the A9 yesterday. Glad to be back home and behind the wheel of my Yeti.

Jim

Well said

From the photos Id say that was safely manageable in a Yeti with winter tyres, would just need a little pre thinking perhaps but Ive driven off road in worse in Germany and Switzerland. The only limiting factor Ive so far found have been lack of outright under belly clearance but with the off road pack in place, and compressable snow underneath, alot more is possible than it would be if it were a rocky terrain for example. You do need to know whats underneath the snow if its not on road however. Oh and I reckon that lorry was being driven by my Welsh relative! :giggle:

If the JCB driver has given up, then that road is not driveable!!

I've been up there in a fully equiped LR and failed!! Drifts can be 6 to 8 foot deep!!

Two years ago it was closed for over 6 weeks, because even the blower plough could keep it clear.

This is the road in summer:

The road from after 3:20 is where it gets closed.

There is a very nice house at 2:15 :giggle: :giggle:

Nice track to the left at 5:15

Best view in Wales from the viewpoint at 6:15, and very poignant to a member here.

• Like 2

Well I'll revoke my earlier comment given the latest information. Given the photos I thought it may be possible. Im within an hours drive of that site from Saturday onwards for six days... id love to see it for myself... :happy:

• Like 1

Well I'll revoke my earlier comment given the latest information. Given the photos I thought it may be possible. Im within an hours drive of that site from Saturday onwards for six days... id love to see it for myself... :happy:

I'm off Monday to Wednesday, if you'd like a little tour, and I'm sure Peter wouldn't mind forming a convoy!

• Like 1

Thanks for the offer but if I managed it, it would be a spur of the moment thing as I'll be there with work. Unsure of what downtime, if any, I'll have during the week but if I do decide to go ill post up. :-)

If the JCB driver has given up, then that road is not driveable!!

I've been up there in a fully equiped LR and failed!! Drifts can be 6 to 8 foot deep!!

Two years ago it was closed for over 6 weeks, because even the blower plough could keep it clear.

This is the road in summer:

The road from after 3:20 is where it gets closed.

There is a very nice house at 2:15 :giggle: :giggle:

Nice track to the left at 5:15

Best view in Wales from the viewpoint at 6:15, and very poignant to a member here.

Thanks Graham, I will try and copy the clip or link to send to my brother in the States. You were obviously speeding as you went past the Vicarage, it was gone in a flash! The lorry is at "3:25" and is still there! How did you know it was a Norbert Dentressangle lorry? I have sent the picture to the County Times...

It maybe a while before you can use the road all the way to Machynlleth, which as you say, must be one of the prettiest routes in Wales - I never tire of it.

I actually run this route every Sunday (weather permitting!!) with my German Shepherd (Shadow), either to Lake Glaslyn or about another half mile beyond your video.- It takes just a bit longer than your clip!!

I don't think any vehicle could have got through that snow. I was wading almost up to my waist in places. My next door neighbour tried a couple of years ago to get through in his L200 and got stuck trying to charge through the drifts. It took his brother-in-law (opposite in the farm) several hours to dig him out with his tractor and bucket!

Not my video, Peter, just something I found on YouTube.

No reply for ND yet. I might just pester them a bit. I wonder if the County Times will publish anything?

YM, give us a shout if you are in the area. I'm always up for a pint.

If you watched Top Gear this evening, some of the Bentley road use was along here, right passed Peter's house!

I saw it that continental gt was shockingly good.

Sweet Lamb Rally Centre is back on TV now - Racing Legends - as Sir Chris Hoy is learning to rally with Colin McRae's dad.

I didn't get the time to make it up to Peter's neck of the woods last October, but it is on my list the next time I'm in Mid Wales. Hopefully it will be clear of snow by then!